Weekend of March 3

  • runahill@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2001
      * Welcome to the group
      * Thursday Nights
      * Snowshoe events
      * Full moon outing
      * Elk Mtn Traverse
      * Trail Races
      * Moab Lodging

      Welcome to the Denver Trail Runners group on Yahoo. This is the first
      message I am sending via the group. This group will allow me to load
      maps, links, and other resources you can use without having to wait
      for a response from me. I will be adding more resources as time goes
      on. Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or ideas.

      For now, if you have questions, please send them to me at
      runahill@.... For more pressing questions, you can call me at
      303-282-3921. Those of you who know my other e-mail address can still
      use that for other purposes.

      If you know anyone interested in the group, have them subscribe at:

      **********

      Meet us at 6pm on Thursdays to run the stairs at Red Rocks. Park and
      meet at the Trading Post. Take I-70 to the Red Rocks exit, #259, go
      south about a mile, turn right and follow the signs. Or, take C-470 to
      the Morrison exit, go west through the town, turn right and follow the
      signs. If you are late, meet us in the ampitheatre. We probably will
      only run the upper sections of the stairs to avoid some icy spots on
      the lower sections. I have to leave early this week. So, just
      introduce yourselves to others you see there. If they are not part of
      the group, invite them to join.

      The regular Thursday night runs won't start April. Until then, we will
      continue to do the stairs on Thursday nights as long as it isn't
      snowing.

      **********

      Winter is not over. There are still more snowshoe races to do:

      This Sat, Mar 3 - Pedal Power Winter Series #4, Vail Mountain Ascent,
      about 3-4 miles straight up the ski slope. 970-845-0931. No online
      registration. Starts at 8am! If any one is interested, I probably can
      be talked into leaving at 5am.

      Mar 10 - Beaver Creek Snowshoe Adventure Series #4, 5k/10k.
      www.bcsnowshoe.com

      Mar 11 - Snowshoe to the Sun, 7am! Winter Park, meet at west portal
      level 6. Call 970-726-1689 or 970-390-6063.

      Mar 17 - America's Uphill, Aspen. 3000' up using snowshoes, skis, or
      whatever you want. 970-925-2849, www.utemountaineer.com

      Mar 17 - A Walk in the Park. Guided snowshoe hikes and demos at Rocky
      Mtn Natl Park. 800-44-ESTES, www.estesparkresort.com

      Mar 24 - Hula Moon Snowshoe Classic. "Wear aloha attire or tacky
      outfits." www.keystoneresort.com. 800-468-5004

      Mar 31 - Snowshoe Shuffle, 5k/10k, Vail. Free snowshoe loaners from
      Atlas. Register at Runners Roost, Boulder Running Co., Snow Leopard in
      Evergreen, or at bkbltd.com

      April 7 - Sun Dog's K-9 Uphill, Buttermilk Mtn, Aspen. For "dogs and
      their people." Demo dogs and snowshoes available. 970-925-1069

      **********

      March 8 is the full moon. If the skies are clear, it's fun to do a
      snowshoe hike that evening. Lemm know if you are interested.

      **********

      The Elk Mountain Traverse is a ~40 mile, 2-person team, x-c ski race
      from Crested Butte to Aspen on March 31. It starts at midnight. Clark
      Fox is looking for a teammate. You can contact him at cfox@...

      **********

      Upcoming trail and other races:

      Mar 4 - Rocky Mtn Road Runners Trophy Series #3, 7mi Cherry Creek
      State Park. A fun format featuring handicap start and scoring system;
      i.e., the slow racers start before the fast ones. I'm also President
      of the club. www.rmrr.org.

      Mar 10 - Alfred Packer trail race, Chatfield State Park. Half, full
      and double marathon. www.coachweber.com

      Mar 10 - Pouder River Trail Duathlon. 5k/30k/5k ROAD event in Windsor,
      near Greeley. 970-356-3663. www.active.com

      April 1 - Spring in your Stride 5K & 8.5 Mile Run Around the Lake!,
      Aurora Reservoir. www.racingunderground.com

      Last call for people needing lodging for the Canyonlands half-marathon
      and 5mi in Moan on March 17. I have access to several hotel rooms. I
      need to know by this weekend or I will have to let them go. I can also
      arrange carpools out there. Even if you are not racing come out and
      enjoy a weekend of running, mtn biking, paddling, and fun.