Thu run, 1/6

  • DenverTrailRunners (No Reply)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2011
      This week's run is at Bear Creek Lake Park. The early group starts at 5:30; main group at 6:15.

      Directions: Meet at the dirt lot, at the intersection of Rooney Rd & hwy 74, just W of C470.
      http://dtr.runuphillracing.com/Maps/BearCreekLakePark-dir.html
      http://tinyurl.com/36anahq
      Hwy speed maps and traffic cams - http://cotrip.org/
      To avoid heavy traffic on C470, you can take I70 to the Red Rocks exit, #259; go S on hwy 93 for ~2mi to Morrison; L at the T intersection, hwy 74, for ~1/2mi.
      Run notes: Because of last weekend's storm and the relatively warm temps this week, we'll probably stick to the roads. DTR does not run on muddy trails.
      Start on the bike path, on the S side of hwy 74, and follow it E, under C470, into the park. The basic route is a 7mi loop. Stay left at the fork just past the toll booth. Follow the road out to the base of the dam. Go right on the service road, across the base of the dam, to the bike path. Go right on the bike path, and follow it back to the W. At the second bridge crossing, just E of C470, go left on the path for 1/3mi to the finish.
      For those going shorter, please do an out-and-back. It's 2.5mi to the base of the dam. For a little more, go L there instead or right, and climb ~.4mi to the top of the dam.
      For those going longer, there are a couple of options. We can either climb to the top of Mt. Carbon (7.8mi), or go around the back of the dam (9mi). We can discuss this at the start.

      If you are not familiar with the trails, please review the map in advance.
      http://dtr.runuphillracing.com/Maps/BearCreekLakePark.html
      http://www.lakewood.org/comres/repository/Documents/Parks/BCLP/BCLPMaps.pdf

      We usually suggest several routes of different length at each run. The different routes are designed so that runners of different abilities can start and finish at about the same time. Please pick the appropriate route for you. Don't necessarily follow the people in front of you. The sub-groups/routes are approximately defined as follows:
      Extra-Long: sub-40 10km (road race time, not the pace run at DTR runs)
      Long: low-mid 40s 10km
      Intermediate: high 40s to mid 50s 10km
      Short: mid 50s+ 10km

      DTR runs are not races. We ask the faster runners to start slowly, to keep the group together for the first 5 minutes. After that, we spread out and naturally form smaller sub-groups. We ask experienced runners to wait at key intersections to help guide newer runners.

      Bring warm and dry clothing for after the run.

      Everyone is invited to join us for dinner after the run. We will pick a nearby restaurant.

      Carpool: If you are interested in sharing a ride to/from any of the DTR runs, please post that info here and on the Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Denver-Trail-Runners/124728809715

      Weather, cam and traffic links:

      Jeffco weather and cam - http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/weather.htm
      Natl Weather Svc forecast in Morrison - http://tinyurl.com/4el4hc

      DenverTrailRunners
      http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DenverTrailRunners/
      http://www.denvertrailrunners.org
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Denver-Trail-Runners/124728809715

      This e-mail address is not monitored regularly. Please use
      DenverTrailRunners-owner@yahoogroups.com