Thanksgiving weekend runs

  • DenverTrailRunners (No Reply)
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2010

      It's time to start planning our Thanksgiving day/weekend runs. We usually run on Thu morning, go farther, and to trails we don't hit on Thu eves. With a 4-day weekend, why not have group runs each morning?

      We need run leaders/organizers. "Lead" simply means picking the place and time, posting it hear and on Yahoo, greeting the runners, explaining the route, and getting them going. It doesn't mean being the fastest or leading on the trail. Let us know if you are interested. We already have a regular group on Sunday, and have had someone offer to lead a Fri morning run.

      Here are some ideas of runs. Of course, you (as the leader) are always welcome to pick another location:

      Option 1: Mesa Trail, Boulder - our traditional T-day run. ~13mi out-and-back (shorter & longer options), on long rolling, sometimes steep and rocky, hills, along the flatirons.

      Option 2: Centennial Cone, W of Golden. ~12.5mi loop from the upper lots. 17-18mi from Mayhem Gulch, along hwy 6. Shorter distances available with an out-and-back.

      http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R95.htm

      Option 3: Sharptail & Swallowtail Ridge. 3.5mi S of back entrance to Chatfield. Open, gently rolling at the start. Can climb and connect to Indian Creek campground, ~26mi round trip.

      http://www.douglas.co.us/o penspace/Sharptail_Ridge_T rail_System.html

      Option 4: Roxborough State Park. Nice run/climb to Carpenter Peak. Can head out back side to top of Waterton, Indian Creek, etc.

      http://parks.state.co.us/P arks/Roxborough/Pages/Roxb oroughStatePark.aspx

      DenverTrailRunners
      http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DenverTrailRunners/
      http://www.denvertrailrunners.org
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Denver-Trail-Runners/124728809715

      This e-mail address is not monitored regularly. Please use
      DenverTrailRunners-owner@yahoogroups.com

    • DenverTrailRunners-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2010
        Here is a short overview of Thanksgiving weekend run options:

        Thur: Centennial Cone, from West(Douglas Mtn Rd) lot, 9am
        Fri: Sharptail Ridge/Roxborough trailhead south of Chatfield, 9am
        Sat: Evergreen Runners Circle, 8:30am, Reynolds Park, sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/EvergreenRunnersCircle, eric@...
        Sun: ??

        The rest of this email contains details for Thursday's run. We'll send out another email about Friday. Check the ERC link above for details about their Sat run. We would welcome anyone who would like to lead a different run on Saturday, or one on Sunday.

        Centennial Cone is a relatively new park with a nice, scenic 12+ mile loop with mostly single and some doubletrack. It is difficult to shortcut, so plan accordingly. There are options for out and back runs and a short loop near the start. The high for Thursday is predicted to be 22 F at this point, so dress warmly. Centennial Cone will be closed for 2 months starting Dec. 1st, so this is the last weekend to get out there for awhile.

        Meeting Spot options:

        1.Carpool - anyone interested in carpooling can meet at Noa Noa at 8:15 am and we'll carpool to the trailhead (and stop in for a drink on the way home). Noa Noa Espresso and News is located in the Canyon Point strip mall tucked between Ali Babba and The Spot. Canyon Point is east of Hwy 93 between Washington Ave and Iowa Dr.

        2.Meet at the West(Douglas Mtn Rd)Trailhead to start at 9:00 am. Here is the Jeffco Open Space site for the park with driving directions. http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R95.htm

        Noa Noa Espresso: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=113993747857345911950.000477ac5bad829366a65&t=h&z=19

        Park Map: http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/cent_cone_color_12_06.pdf

        Directions: hwy 6 to hwy 119, towards Black Hawk. Rt on Douglas Mtn Rd, I think first rt after 6 & 119 jct. Road is very steep! Part way up, follow signs veering right. 20-25 car lot at the end of the road. Porta-potty.

        Loop starts ~100 yards in from the lot. I suggest going clockwise, which means staying straight at that jct. Those going shorter can either stay straight and go out-n-back to the Robinson Hill lot, ~3.25mi ea way; or go right and take the Travois Trail. I prefer the latter. It's more scenic, all single-track, rolling.

        Loop: Stay straight onto Elk Range Trail. It's actually a double-track old jeep road. Starts flat, then up a moderate climb. Go through two cattle gates. Drop down, then gradual climb up to Robinson Hill lot. Last chance for bathrooms. Loop continues to the right, just before the lot. Travois Trail drops towards jct. I like to stay rt on Evening Sun loop, but they rejoin. Moderate climb to high point. Nice view from rocks at the top. Fairly short, steep, few switchbacks down. Long, pretty flat section. After crossing ridge to the right, long, steady descent, with a few switchbacks, to bridge. This is the only long descent. Bridge is a good place to regroup. Long climb up, several switchbacks, in trees. This is the only long climb. Crest and come over ridge to S side, overlooking hwy 6. Views across to Bergen Park, Gudy Gaskill, etc. 4-4.5mi of rolling single-track back to end of loop. Short left back to the lot. 12.2mi.

        The faster runners (e.g., Ryan, Luke) will do the loop in 1:45-1:50, at a non-race pace. 2:00-2:15 for most. Faster runners could add loop of upper part of Mayhem Gulch Trail to Juniper trail for an additional 1.5mi, just before the end.