Re: Thursday run

  • Adam Feerst, Runuphill Racing
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
    + Ride before run
    + Route Descriptions

    If anyone wants to mountain bike before the run, meet me at the Lake House a little after 5pm, ready to start at 5:15. We'll ride for 50-60 min, leaving enough time to change and put our bikes away for the run. We'll ride at a moderate effort.

    ++++++++++
    Here are the suggested routes for this week's run. Text below. Text and map attached.

    Head out the parking lot to the road. Go left up the road ~200m; stay single file to the far left. Just past the golf course lot, look for a trail on the left. Take the trail down, across the bridge, then straight across onto the trail up the hill. This is the Dedisse Trail.

    Dedisse winds around the edge of the golf course, climbs up to the ridge, then gradually drops to the Alderfer trails – blue circle. Remember this junction for the return. I’ll flag it for the main group. All will go right at this junction. If you're hiking, you may want to turn around at or before this junction.

    Blue arrows – all routes.

    Short, Green – Then stay left, around the fairly flat loop to the lower Alderfer lot. Regroup, then continue around on the Hidden Fawn trail. The Hidden Fawn trail will climb up to the Dedisse trail junction. Regroup. Make a sharp right back onto the Dedisse trail, and retrace the beginning of the route back to the Lakehouse.

    Intermediate, Yellow – Then take the first right and climb the Sisters trail. It’s a steep climb, but not that long. Continue down the other side. Stay left on the Sisters trail. Regroup at the Ponderosa trail junction. Go left, back up and over the hill, and down to the Sisters trail. Go right to the lower lot, then stay left on Hidden Fawn, back to Dedisse.

    Long, Red – Climb the Sisters trail. Stay left at the next junction. Go right on Ponderosa, to Silver Fox. Look for the yellow house and road, and head for the dirt lot. Regroup at the bathrooms by the upper lot. From the bathrooms, head back to the E, then stay right to the Ponderosa Trail, down to the lower lot. Then, follow the same route as the others, around Hidden Fawn, to Dedisse, and back.

    Extra Long, Purple – Follow the Intermediate and Long route up and over Sisters. On the way down, take the first right onto Bearberry. Follow this around to Bluebird, and to the upper lot. Then, we’ll either follow the long route down Ponderosa, or cross the road and take Ranch View down to the lower lot. I will help guide this group.

    Adam Feerst
    Runuphill Racing, LLC
    Running and Endurance Sports Coaching
    Race Management and Consulting
    www.runuphillracing.com
    ********************
    When in doubt, run uphill!©

    Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
      This week's run is at Lookout Mountain / Chimney Gulch. The early group meets at 5:30pm; the main group starts at 6:15pm. Meet at the park just below the old stone gateway and the first sharp bend: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=39.741147,-105.227973&sll=39.741147,-105.227973&sspn=0.002937,0.003514&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

      Run notes: The run is an out and back. See the map at: http://dtr.runuphillracing.com/Maps/ChimneyGulch-LookoutMtn.html for trail directions. If you are not familiar with the trails, please review the map in advance.

      DTR runs are not races. We ask the faster runners to start slowly, to keep the group together for the first 5-10 minutes. After that, we spread out and naturally form smaller sub-groups. We ask experienced runners to wait at key intersections to help guide newer runners.

      We usually suggest several routes of different length at each run. The different routes are designed so that runners of different abilities can start and finish at about the same time. Please pick the appropriate route for you. Don't necessarily follow the people in front of you. The sub-groups/routes are approximately defined as follows:
      Extra-Long: sub-40 10km (road race time, not the pace run at DTR runs)
      Long: low-mid 40s 10km
      Intermediate: mid 40s to low 50s 10km
      Short: mid 50s+ 10km

      Bring warm and dry clothing for after the run.

      Everyone is invited to join us for dinner after the run. We will pick a nearby restaurant at the end of the run.

      Carpool: There's a regular carpool group for those of you who live or work near downtown. Meet at the corner of 9th and Elati, by Denver West High School, at 5:25 each Thursday. We will alternate who drives.
      The link below has a map.
      http://tinyurl.com/5d35nb

      Weather, cam and traffic links:
      Hwy speed maps and traffic cams - http://cotrip.org/
      Weather in
      Golden (Apex, lower Lookout, N & S Table) - http://tinyurl.com/5dkvvw
    • DenverTrailRunners (No Reply)
      Message 3 of 18 , Sep 16, 2009
      Please ignore the previous message about the Thu night run (I'm not sure why this didn't go out on Tuesday).
      We'll be running the hogback routes, detailed below and attached, not those on the dtr web site.
      There is no carpool, although you can contact John directly if interested (info below).

      ==========
      This Thursday's run is at South Valley Park, in Ken Caryl. The early group meets at 5:30pm. The main group starts at 6:15.

      Sunset is at 7:06; civil twilight ends at 7:33. That means that it'll be pretty dark by 7:15 or so. Please arrive early so that we can start on time, so that everyone can get there run in before it is dark.

      Lance will be the starter.

      Run Notes: We will run the hogback route, not the regular DTR route on our web site. See the attached maps (also available on the Files section of the Yahoo site) and read the course notes below. If you are not familiar with the trails, please review the map in advance. Park maps (not marked up with our routes) are available at the trail head, and online at http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R19.htm

      Start on the Coyote Song trail, up the hill from the gazebo. Continue as it curves right, and rolls down along the top of the meadow. Take the next left, after ~1/2mi, up the short, steep, Lyons Back Trail. Just past the top, go right at the fork. Remember this  point for the return. Run down the hill to the junction with the wide, Cathy Johnson Trail. From this junction, we will take different routes - short and medium taking a sharp left, long veering right.

      Short: Take a sharp left up the CJ trail ~ ½mi. At the next junction, before the trail crests, take a sharp left. Follow the trail rolling back up to the top of Lyons Back and the fork mentioned above. At the fork, take a right back down Lyons Back. At the bottom of Lyons Back, take a right and return to the start. ~4.25mi.

      Medium: Take a sharp left up the CJ trail. Continue up the wide path over the crest, and down the other side to the road. Turn around and head back up the trail and over the crest. ~150m after the crest, take a right onto a single track. Follow the trail rolling back up to the top of Lyons Back and the fork mentioned above. At the fork, take a right back down Lyons Back. At the bottom of Lyons Back, take a right and return to the start. ~5.3mi

      On the far side of the hogback, there are two out-and-backs on the CJ trail. Most of the middle pack runners won't have time to hit both ends and finish before dark. Please pay attention to the trails as you run so that you know where to cut back over the hogback. If you go down to the road at 4 (on the map), please take the sharp left turn at 5, before cresting the hill, and don't continue to 6.

      Long: At the CJ trail, stay right and follow the wide path down to Deer Creek Cyn Rd. Turn around and return back up CJ trail past the two trail junctions on the left, over the crest, and down to the road. Turn around and return up the trail and over the crest. ~150m after the crest, take a right onto a single track. Follow the trail rolling back up to the top of Lyons Back and the fork mentioned above. At the fork, take a right back down Lyons Back. At the bottom of Lyons Back, take a right and return to the start. ~6.1mi

      Extra Long: To add extra, on the return, at the bottom of Lyons Back, go left ~0.4mi. Take a sharp right for .25mi. Take the next right at the bench onto Swallow Trail, rolling up back to the start. Adds ~¾mi to any of the routes above.

      DTR runs are not races. We ask the faster runners to start slowly, to keep the group together for the first 5-10 minutes. After that, we spread out and naturally form smaller sub-groups. We ask experienced runners to wait at key intersections to help guide newer runners.

      Bring warm and dry clothing for after the run, even though it'll be warm, and even if you aren't going to dinner with us.

      Everyone is invited to join us for dinner after the run. We will pick a nearby restaurant at the end of the run.

      Carpool: It hasn't been that active recently, However, if you are interested, please contact John Crowther at johnlewiscrowther@..., 303-902-6173

      Weather, cam and traffic links:
      Hwy speed maps and traffic cams - http://cotrip.org/
      Weather in Ken Caryl - http://tinyurl.com/6oc8kx

      Please use the info below for links to more DTR info, route maps and directions, and contact info.

      DenverTrailRunners
      http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DenverTrailRunners/
      http://www.dtr.runuphillracing.com
      http://www.denvertrailrunners.org

    • DenverTrailRunners (No Reply)
      Message 4 of 18 , Sep 30, 2009
        This week's run is at Apex Park. The early group meets at 5:30pm; the main group starts at 6:00pm. Meet by the large trail map. Because of the rally (see below), we'll stagger the starts of the main group to avoid congestion with bikers along the bottom section of the trail.

        Run notes: This is likely the last chance to run Apex for the season on a Thursday night. Please review the trail map and route descriptions. Keep the runs short to finish by 7:00pm. Sunset is at 6:43; twilight at 7:10.

        There is a rally for mtn bikers that evening to protest the proposed changes for Apex. I encourage you to arrive early to mingle with and learn about the trail issues from the biker perspective, and to share your views from a runner perspective. After the run, I encourage you to attend the Open Space Advisory Comm meeting where they will be discussing the proposal.
        Apex proposal: http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/apex_doc_2009.pdf
        Meeting agenda: http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/octagen.pdf
        Meeting location: Open Space offices, 700 Jefferson Cty Parkway, Golden. http://tinyurl.com/create.php

        Weather in Golden - http://tinyurl.com/5dkvvw
        Jefferson Cty weather and cam - http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/weather.htm
        DenverTrailRunners
        http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DenverTrailRunners/
        http://dtr.runuphillracing.com

      • denvertrailrunners
        Message 5 of 18 , Sep 30, 2009
          Correct link for the map to the Jeffco OS offices, where the meeting is Thur night.
          http://tinyurl.com/yapdtd5

          Message 6 of 18 , Oct 12, 2011
            This week's run is at South Table Mtn. The early group meets at 5:30pm; the main group starts at 6:00pm. Meet at the NW corner of the Marriott lot (directions below).

            Directions: Take I70 to the Denver West exit. Go N to the first street, Denver West Parkway and turn left at the light. Make an immediate left into the Marriott, then a right just before the building and follow it around to the W side.
            http://tinyurl.com/4ymygxb

            Run notes: This is one of our easier runs - with a fairly short and moderate climb to the top, then it's pretty flat on top. There are lots of social trails on S Table, and few signs. If you haven't been there before, please review the map in advance. http://www.denvertrailrunners.org/trails.html
            The map is a bit out of date and some of the trails have changed. At the start, cross the street to the N side, then head W. Just past the condos, make a right on the first trail. This will take you to jct 2 on the map. We'll go left here to jct 1. From there, we follow the blue line all the way out to the stairs and overlook at Castle Rock, #12 on the map. As you crest the hill, #3, head to the N side of the plateau. Turn left on the fairly wide path at #4. Make note of this turn for the way back; it's next to the fence with reflectors for the CDOT test track. Also note #11. After cresting the hill under the power lines, stay right at the bottom to head to Castle Rock. It's about 5min faster coming back, so plan accordingly, and don't be afraid to turn around before you get to Castle Rock. Some of the faster runners may take a different, longer route on the way back from Castle Rock. So, don't just follow the person in front of you.

            Sunset is at 6:24. Civil Twilight (dark) at 6:51. We'll finish around 7, so you might want a light for the last part of the run.

            DTR runs are not races. We ask the faster runners to start slowly, to
            keep the group together for the first 5-10 minutes. After that, we
            spread out and naturally form smaller sub-groups. We ask experienced
            runners to wait at key intersections to help guide newer runners, especially at South Table.

            Bring warm and dry clothing for after the run.

            Everyone is invited to join us for dinner after the run. We will pick a nearby restaurant.

            Carpool: If you are interested in sharing a ride to/from any of the DTR runs, please go to:
            Pickup Pal - http://www.pickuppal.com/pup/group/DenverTrailRunners
            or post a message on our Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Denver-Trail-Runners/124728809715

            Weather, cam and traffic links:
            Hwy speed maps and traffic cams - http://cotrip.org/
            Jeffco weather and cam - http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/weather.htm
            Natl Weather Svc forecast in (pick the appropriate one below)

            This e-mail address is not monitored regularly. Please use DenverTrailRunners-owner@yahoogroups.com
          • DenverTrailRunners-owner@yahoogroups.com
            Message 7 of 18 , Dec 7, 2011
              Since we had to move last week's run, we'll have another go at running at Elk Meadow this Thursday.
              Early group: 5:30pm; main group: 6:15pm
              Meet: Buchannan Park Rec Center parking lot, near the intersection of Squaw Pass Rd (103) & Evergreen Pkwy (74)
              GPS start: N39d 41'04", W105d 21'52"
              This is NOT the parking location on the DTR website.

              Map - the Rec center is just outside the northeast corner of the park:
              http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/elk_meadow_map_color.pdf
              Run notes: The Jeffco website including a map can be found here:
              http://www.jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R9.htm

              If you're not familiar with the trails, please review the map in advance.
              We'll head out via Painters Pause Trail to hook up with the Elk Meadow trail system.

              We usually suggest several routes of different length at each run. The different routes are designed so that runners of different abilities can start and finish at about the same time. Please pick the appropriate route for you. Don't necessarily follow the people in front of you. The sub-groups/routes are approximately defined as follows:
              Extra-Long: sub-40 10km (road race time, not the pace run at DTR runs)
              Long: low-mid 40s 10km
              Intermediate: high 40s to mid 50s 10km
              Short: mid 50s+ 10km

              DTR runs are not races. We ask the faster runners to start slowly, to keep the
              group together for the first 5-10 minutes. After that, we spread out and
              naturally form smaller sub-groups. We ask experienced runners to wait at key
              intersections to help guide newer runners.

              Bring warm and dry clothing for after the run. We will pick a local restaurant for dinner after the run for all who want to join us.

              Bergen Park (Elk): http://tinyurl.com/lkssxx