Political lethargy needs direct-democratic boost/reply to Monbiot, Guardian

  • IandRgb
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2010
      "The collapse of the talks at Copenhagen took away all momentum for change and the lobbyists are back in control. So what next?"

      iniref comments:

      Part of the answer is to introduce decision-making by electorates on public issues. We need propositive as well as veto instruments, at all levels of governance. It means that people can take back some power from governments which have clearly failed to solve serious problems which we face. Examples: The Alpine Initiative which shifted road freight to rail (update). The Abzocker-Initiative which begins to tackle some failures of the finance system. Many other positive examples. Just having these democratic tools helps to develop a stronger culture of politics and begin to heal the "deep-rooted human weakness". People feel involved because they are involved. They take responsibility because they can (after these reforms are in place) do so.

      From G. Monbiot's Guardian article, 21st September 2010

      "The closer it comes, the worse it looks. The best outcome anyone now expects from December's climate summit in Mexico is that some delegates might stay awake during the meetings. When talks fail once, as they did in Copenhagen,governments lose interest. They don't want to be associated with failure, they don't want to pour time and energy into a broken process. Nine years after the world trade negotiations moved to Mexico after failing in Qatar, they remain in diplomatic limbo. Nothing in the preparations for the climate talks suggests any other outcome.

      So what do we do now?

      I don't know. These failures have exposed not only familiar political problems, but deep-rooted human weakness. All I know is that we must stop dreaming about an institutional response that will never materialise and start facing a political reality we've sought to avoid."

      For further information about citizen-led democracy:

      I&R ~ GB Citizens' Initiative and Referendum
      Campaign for direct democracy in Britain
      http://www.iniref.org/