Scholastic Jingoism on Parade + videos for Fun & Impeachment

  • Nick Bayus
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006

      Children in Washington State are being given 'Patriotism tests' which are completely unrelated to their studies. The paper gauges whether or not the student shows fealty to the power of the state and whether the student believes in the right to overthrow a corrupt government.
      A reader from Washington State writes us to highlight a questionnaire paper handed out to her daughter and the rest of her 10th grade class.
      The reader comments,
      "We live in Washington state. My daughter is in 10th grade and found this to be interesting. She has a GPA of 3.75 and uses her brain. This was given in her English class, and has nothing to do with the materials they were studying. We thought you might be able to use this. They are grooming our kids. Keep up the great work. Christine."
      The paper is shown below. Click for an enlargement.

      Considering the fact that this paper is a complete one off in that it is not part of any standard curriculum, we must question the motivations behind it.
      Is the paper a means of gauging the level of obedience to the state amongst American teenagers?
      We have covered several examples before where the government identifies a target group in society and canvasses their views on the nature of power and when that power goes too far. For example, in the 90's, American marines and national guard were occasionally asked if they would be willing to fire on American citizens in a time of crisis.
      We are by no means against patriotism when it means love of country. Unfortunately however, the new brand of so-called patriotism translates as worship of government, and that definition is something that the founding fathers never intended.
      This may be an isolated case but if we receive anything similar then watch this space for any updates.

      Great editorial cartoon which was in today's IdahoStatesman's "best Editorial Cartoons 2005" (which I couldn't find on the Statesman website, I hadto get a magnifying glass to look up the name and date of this cartoon & which paper ran it))

      (back to the show...)

      Video: US Troops Bemoan Not Being Able To Shoot Iraqi Kids Who Threw Rocks

      The 'Trophy Video': Bloodthirsty Contractors Randomly Shoot Iraqi Drivers Dead

      Bush's Exit Strategy: The Video

      Rumsfeld: I Didn't Advocate Invasion : Sunday, November 20, 2005

          -------------------------   http://dissent.blogspot.com/2005/11/rumsfeld-i-didnt-advocate-invasion.html ----------------------------------------- On This Week, Stephanopoulos asked Rumsfeld, had he known the intelligence concerning WMDs was inaccurate, if he would have still advocated going to war with Iraq. Rumsfeld responded by stating that he was never asked. Imagine that, Bush never consulted the Secretary of Defense regarding the case for war (video).

      Like everything else with this administration, the facts state otherwise. The rewriting of history begins.
      Return to the main page.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      David Gergen: "Wheels are coming off" the Bush Admin: October 21 2005
                                http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/october2005/211005wheelsoff.htm

      William Safire: "I'm with the critics"- over warrantless wiretapping : Sunday, January 01, 2006

      Mr. Safire was on MTP today and condemed President Bush's warrantless eavesdropping on U.S. citizens by using his own personal experiences to justify his position.
      Safire:
                   "I was writing a speech on welfare reform, and the president looks at it and says, "OK, I'll go with it, but this is not going to get covered. Leak it as far an wide as you can beforehand. Maybe we'll get something in the paper." And so I go back to my office and I get a call from a reporter, and he wants to know about foreign affairs or something, and I said, "Hey, you want a leak? I'll tell you what the president will say tomorrow about welfare reform." And he took it down and wrote a little story about it. But the FBI was illegally tapping his phone at the time, and so they hear a White House speechwriter say, "Hey, you want a leak?" And so they tapped my phone, and for six months, every home phone call I got was tapped. I didn't like that. And when it finally broke--it did me a lot of good at the time, frankly, because then I was on the right side--but it told me how easy it was to just take somebody who is not really suspected of anything for any good reason and listen to every conversation in his home--you know, my wife talking to her doctor, my--everything.
                  "So I have this thing about personal privacy. And I think what's happening now is that the--as a result of that scandal back in the '70s, we got this electronic eavesdropping act stopping it, or requiring the president to go before this court. Now, this court's a rubber-stamp court, let's face it. They give five noes and 20,000 yeses."
      Russert: The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, FISA.
                                       Video-WMP Video-QT
                          "But just as FDR later made a mistake with the eight saboteurs and hanged them all, and just as we made a terrible mistake with the Japanese-Americans in World War II and have apologized for that. During wartime, we have this excess of security and afterwards we apologize. And that's why I offended a lot of my conservative and hard-line friends right after September 11th when they started putting these captured combatants in jail, and said the president can't seize dictatorial power. And a lot of my friends looked at me like I was going batty. But now we see this argument over excessive security, and I'm with the critics on that."
      Michelle Malkin and Ann Coulter should remember Safire's words when they gleefully talk about locking up Japanese-Americans in World War II.
      Now we're finding out that the Crisco oil anointing, ex-attorney General didn't sign off either.
      Jane says Newsweek is reporting:
           "On one day in the spring of 2004, White House chief of staff Andy Card and the then White House Counsel Alberto Gonzales made a bedside visit to John Ashcroft, attorney general at the time, who was stricken with a rare and painful pancreatic disease, to try-without success-to get him to reverse his deputy, Acting Attorney General James Comey, who was balking at the warrantless eavesdropping...read on"
      Digby says: "They've called us unpatriotic to our faces. They've written best-selling books calling us treasonous. It's not exactly a stretch to suspect that these were not just rhetorical flourishes....read on"
      John says: "So the question remains, what was Bush really doing, who was he really spying on, and why is he now lying about it?...read on

      Sunday, January 01, 2006
      Sen. Luger wants investigation on Wiretapping

      Sorry, but my video file crashed so I can't post it, but Republican Sen. Dick Lugar-is concerned also as he appeared with Blitzer today.
      Blitzer: So you want hearings? You want hearings?
      Lugar: I do. I think this is an appropriate time, without going back and should the president have ever tried to listen to a call coming from Afghanistan, probably of course. And in the first few weeks we made many concessions in the Congress because we were at war and we were under attack. We still have the possibility of that going on so we don't want to obviate all of this, but  I think we want to see what in the course of time really works best and the FISA Act has worked pretty well from the time of President Carter's day to the current time.
      Think Progress has more...

      Nick Bayus
      Boise,Idaho

      Yahoo! Shopping