Tell Sorrento discrimination against women isn't acceptable!

  • Nick Bayus
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      I thought you might be interested in this United Farm Workers
      e-activism campaign.

      Sorrento Lactalis, maker of Precious and Sorrento brand cheese,
      continues its silence about sexual discrimination against women
      at the dairies located at Threemile Canyon Farms. Sorrento is a
      major processor of milk from Threemile Canyon Farms and will not
      address the issue despite receiving thousands of emails and a
      petition with more than 12,000 signatures of consumers demanding
      that Sorrento take action.

      In reviewing Sorrento's history, we've discovered reports that
      Sorrento has a history of sexual discrimination. In 2003, the
      press reported that Sorrento, along with two other Buffalo-area
      companies, reached a settlement with the U.S. Equal Employment
      Opportunity Commission over discrimination.

      It was reported that Sorrento and the other two companies used a
      temp agency to supply them with workers. In a newspaper article
      quote an EEOC attorney said, "My understanding is customers
      would call up with requests like, 'I want three males for a job'
      or occasionally, 'I want three white males'." While Sorrento
      denied any wrongdoing in the settlement, it was reported that
      they paid up to $35,000, almost five times more than the other
      two companies.

      The same EEOC attorney was quoted as saying, "You can draw your
      own conclusions as to why they paid to settle the case. We
      definitely observed discriminatory requests being made by
      customers and discriminatory job referrals being made by [the
      temp agency]."

      Tell Sorrento that a discriminatory attitude towards women does
      not promote an image it wants for its cheeses. Sorrento should
      discontinue it's silence about working conditions at Threemile
      Canyon Farms and urge the dairy to sit down and negotiate in
      good faith with the workers' union, the United Farm Workers.

      Send your e-mail today at:

      http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/SorrentoJan05?rk=67anHYS1-q3GW

      Click on the link below for more information
      from your union, online activism and benefits.
      http://www.unionvoice.org/wfn/join.html