democracy or Kakistocracy? You Decide...

  • Nick Bayus
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006

      Sign here to support free speech in Idaho

      Let's make this simple. If you feel the upcoming special session of the Idaho Legislature ought to at least consider the Democratic property tax reform proposal - you know, the one that targets relief to rank-and-file Idaho homeowners, where it belongs, instead of corporations and owners of vacation McMansions -  then sign this petition now.
      As Chris wrote earlier this week, three statewide polls show Idahoans prefer the Democratic plan by wide margins, but we need to be loud if we have any hope of temporary Gov. Risch even giving the plan a hearing. So go sign now.

      Targeted Homeowner Property Tax Relief for Idaho
      View Current Signatures   -   Sign the Petition

      To:  Idaho Governor James Risch and the Idaho Legislature
      We the Undersigned, as residents of the State of Idaho, hereby request that the Republican Governor, James Risch, and the Legislature, allow for consideration RS16446, providing targeted tax cuts to all homeowners during the Special Session which has been called for Aug. 25, 2006, in Boise, Idaho. More specifically, we call upon Idaho House Speaker Bruce Newcomb and Senate President Pro Tem Bob Geddes to allow, at minimum, an INITIAL PRINT HEARING of RS16446; the substance of which exempts the three (3) mil school tax levy from property taxpayers who currently claim the homeowners exemption; of which the net result would be approximately a 20 percent decrease in property taxes.

      ADDITIONALLY, this cut would not impact any other group of taxpayers and therefore it is not a tax shift, as the Republican plan would merely shift the tax burden from businesses, corporations, vacation home owners, and special interest groups onto middle-class homeowners. We acknowledge that these other classes of property will pay EXACTLY THE SAME SAME amount that they currently pay.

      ADDITIONALLY, the approximate cost of the Democratic plan this year is about $104 million, which would be made up this year from the budget surplus. In subsequent years, natural growth in state sales and income revenue is expected to keep pace and thus cover the cost of the three (3) mil property tax relief.

      ADDITIONALLY, we recognize that this is the ONLY plan that targets relief to homeowners. We remain unconvinced that business, commercial property and vacation home owners are in need of such a tax cut.

      ADDITIONALLY, we note that the IDAHO CONSTITUTION SPECIFICALLY ALLOWS DIFFERENT CLASSES OF PROPERTY, as such:

      (IDAHO CONSTITUTION, SECTION 5):
      "TAXES TO BE UNIFORM -- EXEMPTIONS. All taxes shall be uniform upon the same class of subjects within the territorial limits, of the authority levying the tax, and shall be levied and collected under general laws, which shall prescribe such regulations as shall secure a just valuation for taxation of all property, real and personal: provided, that the legislature may allow such exemptions from taxation from time to time as shall seem necessary and just, and all existing exemptions provided by the laws of the territory, shall continue until changed by the legislature of the state: provided further, that duplicate taxation of property for the same purpose during the same year, is hereby prohibited."

      ADDITIONALLY and FINALLY, we believe that Gov. Risch's proclamation of July 25 calling the Idaho Legislature into a Special Session UNCONSTITUTIONALLY EXCLUDES the consideration of RS16446;

      THEREFORE, we respectfully make this petition to the leaders of the Idaho House of Representatives and the Idaho Senate.
      Sincerely,

      The Targeted Homeowner Property Tax Relief for Idaho Petition to Idaho Governor James Risch and the Idaho Legislature was created by The Idaho Democratic Party and written by Chuck Oxley, IDP Communications Director (chuck@...).  This petition is hosted here at www.PetitionOnline.com as a public service. There is no endorsement of this petition, express or implied, by Artifice, Inc. or our sponsors. For technical support please use our simple Petition Help form.
      Send this to a friend

      Nick
      Boise,Idaho

      Open multiple messages at once with the all new Yahoo! Mail Beta.