PFAW organized FOIA request, Please Join In!

  • Nick Bayus
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      If alot of us do this, how long will it take the national media to report it in any depth? Can you count negative numbers?

      March 1, 2006
      transparent
      Donate
      nil
      nilnil

      nil
      Action Update:

      Heeding your call for a Special Prosecutor to investigate the Bush administration's illegal spying program, 18 members of Congress initiated a campaign on Capitol Hill for the appointment of an independent investigator!

      Not surprisingly, the White House dismissed this request.

      PFAW members have sent 84,000 petition messages calling for a Special Prosecutor. Haven't signed the petition? Sign now!

      PFAW.org/go/IllegalSpying
      nil
      nilnilnil
      nilnilnil
      nil
      On the Ground:

      Thousands of PFAW, MoveOn, and ACLU members gathered for 271 Constitution Vigils last Wednesday to bear witness to Bush administration lawbreaking.
      nil

      nilnilnil

      nil
      nilnil
      nil
      nilnilnil

      In this Issue:
      Want to know if the government is spying on you?
      Use
      www.FOIArequest.org to find out.
      Election Day Countdown 2006: Immigration
      IN FOCUS
      PFAWF Fights in the Courts for Transparent Government

      Want to know if the government is spying on you?
      Use
      www.FOIArequest.org to find out!
      Under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), anyone has the right to request information from the government. Last strengthened by Congress in response to the Watergate scandal, FOIA gives citizens a way to demand transparency from the Bush administration -- and take the government to court if necessary.
      The Bush administration is trying to keep the details of its illegal domestic surveillance program under wraps, even refusing to say how many Americans they've eavesdropped on. Many Americans -- especially those with family and friends abroad -- are wondering whether government agents have been listening to their phone conversations or reading their email.
      If you're worried this has happened to you, People For the American Way has created a new tool:
      You can file a Freedom of Information Act request quickly, accurately, and easily.
      We can't guarantee that the Bush administration will disclose all this information in compliance with the law, but we can help you through the process. By filing a FOIA request, you will send a strong signal that American citizens believe in the rule of law and aren't afraid to stand up to the President when he violates the Constitution!

      Election Day Countdown 2006: Immigration
      Tomorrow, the Senate Judiciary Committee will begin hearings on one of the most difficult and divisive issues facing the country, immigration reform. Because immigration is a likely wedge issue in November's congressional elections, the committee's chairman, Arlen Specter, is attempting to make sure the hearings produce legislation that will not split Senate Republicans over this contentious issue.
      Senators will choose between two basic approaches. The first, put forward in a bill passed by the House last year, focuses exclusively on border security and beefed-up enforcement of immigration laws. This is essentially the same flawed approach the US has pursued for the past 20 years. It has made illegal immigration more dangerous and has failed to improve our broken immigration system.
      The second approach, proposed by Senators John McCain and Edward Kennedy, takes is more comprehensive and realistic. It establishes a program for guest workers to legally immigrate for jobs employers can't fill, and brings undocumented people already in the U.S. out of the shadows by establishing a path to legalization.
      People For the American Way supports the kind of comprehensive immigration reform offered by Senators McCain and Kennedy. This proposal respects our nation's laws and national security needs while providing a means for people who contribute to our society to work toward citizenship. Over the next weeks and months, we'll update you on our work to reform the immigration system, in line with our commitment to the basic American principles of equality under the law and opportunity for all.

      To learn more about the McCain-Kennedy proposal -- known as the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act -- visit http://www.pfaw.org/go/McCain-Kennedy.
      nilnilnil
      nilIN FOCUS:
      PFAWF Fights in the Courts for Transparent Government
      In this issue of the American Way, we encourage you to file a Freedom on Information Act (FOIA) request to assert your right to know. PFAW Foundation filed a FOIA request of our own last month, asking the National Security Agency (NSA) to disclose how many people had been surveilled under its illegal wiretapping program. Knowing that groups like Greenpeace have been targeted for NSA surveillance, we also asked the NSA to disclose whether they had a file on People For. Not surprisingly, the NSA refused to comply with our FOIA request.
      That's when PFAW Foundation went to court. On Monday, a judge made a favorable preliminary ruling in this case. Over the NSA's objections, the judge ordered the NSA to provide a detailed explanation of its rationale for denying our FOIA request which will make it possible for us to challenge the NSA's justifications. Once we receive the statement in early May, we will determine how to best pursue the information to which the law guarantees us access.
      Your generous support of People For the American Way Foundation helps further litigation efforts to preserve an open government for and by the people.
      nil
      nilnilnil

      Unless otherwise noted, all material in this email was brought to you by People For the American Way, a (501)(c4) organization.
      This message was sent to: leftinidaho@...

      Nick
      Boise,Idaho

      Yahoo! Mail