Delenda Est Sequel?

  • lord_silvere
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 8, 2013
      As I've been writing the final portions of Delenda Est and thinking about my tentative plans to write the Harry/Helena fic that I've spent some time plotting, I've found myself thinking more and more about the sorts of adventures that would happen if the inhabitants of another HP dimension found themselves interacting in a world where Bellatrix Black is the Minister of Magic, Hermione is the Headmistress of Hogwarts, and where all sorts of time travel and dimension travel is possible.

      Do any of you have any thoughts or suggestions?

      It seems like it would be best to have the Harry of this other dimension star as the main character. He would probably interact with H/B's children, his own friends, etc. Also, the adults from both worlds would be involved. I'm also thinking maybe an H/G pairing to run parallel to the H/B pairing of the DE world.

      Any comments?

      For those wondering about the next chapter, progress is slow. It's about 2,500 words. Part of the problem is that I never daydreamed about the final fight between Harry and Voldemort. Another part is that I get depressed at the thought of ending it. My goal is to complete DE in time for its 4th anniversary.

      LS
    • roberttedders

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 9, 2013
          I instant messaged with someone last night and talked about where the sequel might go, and how. Basically, it would launch from the POV of a Harry in a canon, post-GoF world. It leads him and some friends into the Delenda Est world via some cross-dimensional travel--back and forth. Not just one trip at the beginning and one at the end.

          He then said, something along the line of me needing to come up with something more compelling than the shock value of canon chars seeing the DE world. I said, well, here's what I could offer: (1) Some political intrigue between the governments of the two dimensions, (2) a romantic subplot for the canon world Harry, (3) war against not one, but two Voldemorts, (4) hopefully some comedy with Harry and Bellatrix's daughters, (5) furtherance of H/B romance, etc.

          We got to talking some more, and I started to like the idea more and more. I was feeling more excitement for this than the H/Helena fic. With H/Hel, I've been struggling for an ending. On this new idea, the ending and the plot structure jumped into place very easily. It really builds on the DE world, progresses naturally, etc.

          So, I've decided to shelve the Harry/Helena story in favor of this sequel story.

          And so, relatively shortly after I complete Delenda Est, I will launch its sequel, Para Bellum.

          At this point, I can still use thoughts or concerns, but I've pretty much got a plot. What I could really use is input on what it will ship. It would be weird and difficult to pull off having canon Harry hookup with another Bellatrix. I am leaning towards Harry/Ginny because that was what I wrote before relaunching myself as Lord Silvere. If you don't like H/G, here is your chance to float a proposal for a different romantic interest.

          All the best,

          LS

          On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM, <roberttedders@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Nicol Miller
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 9, 2013

            What about no ships other than those that already exist in DE?

            Some of the best fics out there don't have any romantic subplot and I almost feel it would get in the way of the intrigue.

            What you could do is instead of a romantic subplot, have a familial subplot.  This is canon Harry and he's in a world where his parents are alive, sort of, though they aren't really his parents and much older than they would be in his world, but also a free Sirius.  You could even have Harry and Bella's kids treating canon-Harry as a sort of little brother.

            Harry starts to feel like he belongs, but at the same time he doesn't.  This could especially work in a post OOTP story as he just lost Sirius.

            --
            -- DireSquirrel
            -- Nicol Miller

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 11, 2013
                  I was going  around in circles trying to iron out things in the H/Hel story. I came up with Para Bellum and like it much better and also feel it is more functional,

                  A new Harry from a canon universe will play a principal role. He and others from the canon universe/dimension will interact with the characters from the Delenda Est dimension.

                  Harry's former future universe is gone forever. It should also be noted that the canon dimension and the Delenda dimension won't be on the same year.

                  LS

                  On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM, <roberttedders@...> wrote:

[...]

                • blagyz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 12, 2013
                    Personally, I don`t really want to see another Harry (espesially that young)in the DE universe, I`d rather see H/B from DE in an alternative universe or back in time - how about you send them back to Grindelwalt time or fonder`s or even merlin`s. Anyway, cheers!

                    --- In DelendaEst@yahoogroups.com, "lord_silvere" <lordsilvere@...> wrote:

                    > As I've been writing the final portions of Delenda Est and thinking about my tentative plans to write the Harry/Helena fic that I've spent some time plotting, I've found myself thinking more and more about the sorts of adventures that would happen if the inhabitants of another HP dimension found themselves interacting in a world where Bellatrix Black is the Minister of Magic, Hermione is the Headmistress of Hogwarts, and where all sorts of time travel and dimension travel is possible.
                    >
                    > Do any of you have any thoughts or suggestions?
                    >
                    > It seems like it would be best to have the Harry of this other dimension star as the main character. He would probably interact with H/B's children, his own friends, etc. Also, the adults from both worlds would be involved. I'm also thinking maybe an H/G pairing to run parallel to the H/B pairing of the DE world.
                    >
                    > Any comments?
                    >
                    > For those wondering about the next chapter, progress is slow. It's about 2,500 words. Part of the problem is that I never daydreamed about the final fight between Harry and Voldemort. Another part is that I get depressed at the thought of ending it. My goal is to complete DE in time for its 4th anniversary.
                    >
                    > LS

                  • Junky
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 12, 2013
                      Two Harrys is one too many. This world isn't big enough for the both of them.

                    • Lord Silvere
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 12, 2013
                        Well, most of the action would actually take place in the canon-like dimension. That's where the battle will be fought, I'm thinking. Probably would involve Bellatrix or her deputies having Fudge ousted, and perhaps even taking over the government temporarily.

                        LS

                        On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM, blagyz <blagyz@...> wrote:

                        Personally, I don`t really want to see another Harry (espesially that young)in the DE universe, I`d rather see H/B from DE in an alternative universe or back in time - how about you send them back to Grindelwalt time or fonder`s or even merlin`s. Anyway, cheers!

                        --- In DelendaEst@yahoogroups.com, "lord_silvere" <lordsilvere@...> wrote:

                        > As I've been writing the final portions of Delenda Est and thinking about my tentative plans to write the Harry/Helena fic that I've spent some time plotting, I've found myself thinking more and more about the sorts of adventures that would happen if the inhabitants of another HP dimension found themselves interacting in a world where Bellatrix Black is the Minister of Magic, Hermione is the Headmistress of Hogwarts, and where all sorts of time travel and dimension travel is possible.
                        >
                        > Do any of you have any thoughts or suggestions?
                        >
                        > It seems like it would be best to have the Harry of this other dimension star as the main character. He would probably interact with H/B's children, his own friends, etc. Also, the adults from both worlds would be involved. I'm also thinking maybe an H/G pairing to run parallel to the H/B pairing of the DE world.
                        >
                        > Any comments?
                        >
                        > For those wondering about the next chapter, progress is slow. It's about 2,500 words. Part of the problem is that I never daydreamed about the final fight between Harry and Voldemort. Another part is that I get depressed at the thought of ending it. My goal is to complete DE in time for its 4th anniversary.
                        >
                        > LS

                      • Marc Jackson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 13, 2013
                          To be completely  honest, any attempt at a sequel should attempt to further Bella's understanding of the hair-pin. As you alluded to in the note sent to the department of mysteries she did not give up her studies into time travel. I would think an accident during one of her experiments could send her to the cannon timeline alone. During this time she  meets the crazed version of herself and decides to help Harry become the person she remembers. As much fun as Harry Black is as a character, I would love to see an expansion of the Bellatrix you have created.

                        • brianstf .
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 13, 2013
                            Would you maybe do a prequel of the lost war or perhaps have the two jump back to the start of Harry's lost war?  It would allow you to introduce the the H/B and deal with the cannon reaction while still providing grounds for action and adventure.  Could also be interesting having Bellatrix in a duel with her other self or have her explore why she betrayed the dark lord at the start of your alt universe.
                          • Lord Silvere
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 16, 2013
                              Hrm.

                              If I were to turn it into a trilogy, there is room to explore that. But, it just does not seem exciting to me.

                              LS

                              On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM, brianstf . <brianstf@...> wrote:

                              Would you maybe do a prequel of the lost war or perhaps have the two jump back to the start of Harry's lost war?  It would allow you to introduce the the H/B and deal with the cannon reaction while still providing grounds for action and adventure.  Could also be interesting having Bellatrix in a duel with her other self or have her explore why she betrayed the dark lord at the start of your alt universe.

                            • wotsfreek