A Coming Attraction

  • lord_silvere
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
      For some time, I have stewed over what I might write after completing Delenda Est. Last summer, I and a couple of people compiled a list of potential ships for a new story. After debating the merits of about a dozen ships, three came out on top and I sketched out basic plots for them.

      Initially, in the overall process, out of three, Harry/Fleur won, and I commenced with a test run chapter after making a detailed plot. I was very unsatisfied with that chapter, though. As much as I love the plot, I wasn't writing Fleur naturally and decided that I'm not about to become known for my H/F writing skills.

      So, I and some of the people who are willing to listen to me natter on in the Instant Messenger turned to the second place plot-----Harry/Helena Ravenclaw. I spent a lot more time turning this one over in my head, and there is still a lot to think about. But, I have written a test run chapter and am pleased with it.

      I have posted it in the files section of this group. If anybody is interested in reading it, I would be pleased to hear any feedback and to also discuss in detail via e-mail or IM. I also may be interested in bringing more co-authors on board. There is one co-author at present, but I'm not sure whether his time constraints will allow him to participate fully. Even if you don't want to write, I will gladly talk plot.

      The next chapter of DE is coming slowly, I'm afraid. Only 1,000 words, I think. February was an awful month for me. I have no ETA for it. Looking at my calendar, though, I see a light class load and a relatively light finals study period. So, that's definitely good news.

      All the best,

      LS
    • nsheive
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
        First off have to say that the thought of a harry/helena ship does sound interesting, but from the small amount of the sample i have to wonder how you would go about getting helena in the ship. Well anyways it seems interesting and i would definitely read it so heres hoping to the finish of delenda and the start of new projects.

        --- In DelendaEst@yahoogroups.com, "lord_silvere" <lordsilvere@...> wrote:

        > For some time, I have stewed over what I might write after completing Delenda Est. Last summer, I and a couple of people compiled a list of potential ships for a new story. After debating the merits of about a dozen ships, three came out on top and I sketched out basic plots for them.
        >
        > Initially, in the overall process, out of three, Harry/Fleur won, and I commenced with a test run chapter after making a detailed plot. I was very unsatisfied with that chapter, though. As much as I love the plot, I wasn't writing Fleur naturally and decided that I'm not about to become known for my H/F writing skills.
        >
        > So, I and some of the people who are willing to listen to me natter on in the Instant Messenger turned to the second place plot-----Harry/Helena Ravenclaw. I spent a lot more time turning this one over in my head, and there is still a lot to think about. But, I have written a test run chapter and am pleased with it.
        >
        > I have posted it in the files section of this group. If anybody is interested in reading it, I would be pleased to hear any feedback and to also discuss in detail via e-mail or IM. I also may be interested in bringing more co-authors on board. There is one co-author at present, but I'm not sure whether his time constraints will allow him to participate fully. Even if you don't want to write, I will gladly talk plot.
        >
        > The next chapter of DE is coming slowly, I'm afraid. Only 1,000 words, I think. February was an awful month for me. I have no ETA for it. Looking at my calendar, though, I see a light class load and a relatively light finals study period. So, that's definitely good news.
        >
        > All the best,
        >
        > LS

      • Keith
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
          I think I'd honestly like to see what you could do with a crossover story. You write a good Harry Potter, so what will that Harry Potter do in a world that he is totally unfamiliar with.

          --- In DelendaEst@yahoogroups.com, "lord_silvere" <lordsilvere@...> wrote:

          > For some time, I have stewed over what I might write after completing Delenda Est. Last summer, I and a couple of people compiled a list of potential ships for a new story. After debating the merits of about a dozen ships, three came out on top and I sketched out basic plots for them.
          >
          > Initially, in the overall process, out of three, Harry/Fleur won, and I commenced with a test run chapter after making a detailed plot. I was very unsatisfied with that chapter, though. As much as I love the plot, I wasn't writing Fleur naturally and decided that I'm not about to become known for my H/F writing skills.
          >
          > So, I and some of the people who are willing to listen to me natter on in the Instant Messenger turned to the second place plot-----Harry/Helena Ravenclaw. I spent a lot more time turning this one over in my head, and there is still a lot to think about. But, I have written a test run chapter and am pleased with it.
          >
          > I have posted it in the files section of this group. If anybody is interested in reading it, I would be pleased to hear any feedback and to also discuss in detail via e-mail or IM. I also may be interested in bringing more co-authors on board. There is one co-author at present, but I'm not sure whether his time constraints will allow him to participate fully. Even if you don't want to write, I will gladly talk plot.
          >
          > The next chapter of DE is coming slowly, I'm afraid. Only 1,000 words, I think. February was an awful month for me. I have no ETA for it. Looking at my calendar, though, I see a light class load and a relatively light finals study period. So, that's definitely good news.
          >
          > All the best,
          >
          > LS

        • efpabon
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
            Well, as is usually the case, your writing is excellent. The story also seems very original and interesting. However, I found the regression down the changed timeline without reveling the full extent of what happened between Harry and Death in the opening scene to be more confusing than dramatic.

            From what is implied in the next few scenes, I guess Harry and Helena are the basis for the Knight Protector and Lady legends. So obviously he went back in time to when Helena was alive, but there is no logic as to why he would travel forward again. Just seems a tad convoluted for an opening chapter.

            --- In DelendaEst@yahoogroups.com, "lord_silvere" <lordsilvere@...> wrote:

            > For some time, I have stewed over what I might write after completing Delenda Est. Last summer, I and a couple of people compiled a list of potential ships for a new story. After debating the merits of about a dozen ships, three came out on top and I sketched out basic plots for them.
            >
            > Initially, in the overall process, out of three, Harry/Fleur won, and I commenced with a test run chapter after making a detailed plot. I was very unsatisfied with that chapter, though. As much as I love the plot, I wasn't writing Fleur naturally and decided that I'm not about to become known for my H/F writing skills.
            >
            > So, I and some of the people who are willing to listen to me natter on in the Instant Messenger turned to the second place plot-----Harry/Helena Ravenclaw. I spent a lot more time turning this one over in my head, and there is still a lot to think about. But, I have written a test run chapter and am pleased with it.
            >
            > I have posted it in the files section of this group. If anybody is interested in reading it, I would be pleased to hear any feedback and to also discuss in detail via e-mail or IM. I also may be interested in bringing more co-authors on board. There is one co-author at present, but I'm not sure whether his time constraints will allow him to participate fully. Even if you don't want to write, I will gladly talk plot.
            >
            > The next chapter of DE is coming slowly, I'm afraid. Only 1,000 words, I think. February was an awful month for me. I have no ETA for it. Looking at my calendar, though, I see a light class load and a relatively light finals study period. So, that's definitely good news.
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > LS

          • Lord Silvere
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
              I'm thinking that the pattern of the story will involve starting each chapter with a short flashback showing some of the things that happened after Harry made his bargain with Death. I'm considering this for two reasons 1) It will make the story shorter. I cover the essentials of the past and just stick to the present. 2) Delenda featured Harry going to the past and then coming to the future. The future was always intended to be the meat of the story, but when I moved H/B to the future, people started throwing temper tantrums and demanding that I go back and undo the time travel and write about my dead end plot of the past. I don't want this story stuck in the past at all.

              Any better ideas to accomplish this or to approach the first chapter?

              LS

              On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:32 PM, efpabon <efpabon@...> wrote:

              Well, as is usually the case, your writing is excellent. The story also seems very original and interesting. However, I found the regression down the changed timeline without reveling the full extent of what happened between Harry and Death in the opening scene to be more confusing than dramatic.

              From what is implied in the next few scenes, I guess Harry and Helena are the basis for the Knight Protector and Lady legends. So obviously he went back in time to when Helena was alive, but there is no logic as to why he would travel forward again. Just seems a tad convoluted for an opening chapter.

              --- In DelendaEst@yahoogroups.com, "lord_silvere" <lordsilvere@...> wrote:

              > For some time, I have stewed over what I might write after completing Delenda Est. Last summer, I and a couple of people compiled a list of potential ships for a new story. After debating the merits of about a dozen ships, three came out on top and I sketched out basic plots for them.
              >
              > Initially, in the overall process, out of three, Harry/Fleur won, and I commenced with a test run chapter after making a detailed plot. I was very unsatisfied with that chapter, though. As much as I love the plot, I wasn't writing Fleur naturally and decided that I'm not about to become known for my H/F writing skills.
              >
              > So, I and some of the people who are willing to listen to me natter on in the Instant Messenger turned to the second place plot-----Harry/Helena Ravenclaw. I spent a lot more time turning this one over in my head, and there is still a lot to think about. But, I have written a test run chapter and am pleased with it.
              >
              > I have posted it in the files section of this group. If anybody is interested in reading it, I would be pleased to hear any feedback and to also discuss in detail via e-mail or IM. I also may be interested in bringing more co-authors on board. There is one co-author at present, but I'm not sure whether his time constraints will allow him to participate fully. Even if you don't want to write, I will gladly talk plot.
              >
              > The next chapter of DE is coming slowly, I'm afraid. Only 1,000 words, I think. February was an awful month for me. I have no ETA for it. Looking at my calendar, though, I see a light class load and a relatively light finals study period. So, that's definitely good news.
              >
              > All the best,
              >
              > LS

            • efpabon
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
                Ahh, I understand now it makes sense. However, if you want to integrate the history portion more smoothly into the story. I would take a page from Dave Weber and use his favorite plot device.

                Create a made up author and book title and then just quote excerpts from it whenever you want to give the essentials of what he and Helena accomplished in the past. This method works best if you don't really want to create scenes or dialogue, but are just interested in providing plot points so that the reader has some information to reference what is happening in the main story. However, even if you decide to go with the flashbacks instead, I would write a prologue using this method to introduce the legend of The Knight Protector and the Lady.

                Seeing how you bring Helena into the future with Harry will be extremely fun to see. Personally, I think the idea is very original and has a lot of potential.

                Although on a personal note I am sorry you didn't try to write a Harry/pansy ship. ;-)