Re: Review Chapter 37: The Price of a Wizengamot Seat

  • kackysnorgle
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 17, 2012
      I for one am not surprised that Bella is so good at all of these things despite how young she is. I've thought about this before, and she in the original timeline had only four more years to improve as a witch (1977-1981) before she degraded in Azkaban for fourteen years--and upon breaking out of it, she was STILL the most dangerous witch in the world.

    • hjakub@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2012
        Well, well, well. An early Christmas present.

        Let me say this was another excellent chapter. And now to some pondering....

        Gallandro raised some very interesting questions. First being that Draco business. Since I think there is not a scene with Draco swearing an oath in the fic, I am gonna assume he didn't swear. That would imply that even Bellatrix is not completely infallible and can't anticipate every possibility, like Lily and James seeing Draco and therefore sniffing the trace of "Trixie White". Suddenly I'm getting a feeling that the "The big reveal" won't be just one event but two coinciding events, two more or less coinciding reveals:
        1) Bella (possibly with Harry in attendance) revealing his living status to Prewitt and possibly Amelia and ...
        2)Lily and James investigating and revealing something fishy, something which is "wrong in the state of Denmark", so to speak.

        Now to Amelia and Crouches situation. Again Gallandro kind of nailed it. Bella giving Amelia the info about Crouch Jr. Crouch Sr. quite possibly falling with or because of his son and his nefarious connection to certain halfblood with delusions of grandeur and sick fascination with splitting his soul. Amelia ascending as the new Head of DMLE. That would be perfect outcome for me. But that might be because of my bias. I don't care much for either Crouch, while
        Amelia is on of my favorite characters.

        It's also interesting, that there are more than one revelations about Harry's identity forthcoming, as LS said in one of the earlier posts here.

        Harry being a Potter reveal was probably more given, because of his physical similarity with James. Also I already have some tips about the instigator of this revelation. I think it will be either Lily, Hermione, Rose or Leo. Lily and Hermione because they are the brightest witches of their generations. Leo mainly because of Harry's slip during the hunt for the locket, that he considers all present family. And Rose because she's also really smart and because maybe on
        some subconscious level she already suspects something. After all when she first met Harry she was "staring into Harry's green eyes with a maddeningly vague sense of recognition", as says LS in the chapter where the meeting takes place. Or maybe all four will corroborate.

        As for the other revelation, that we readers haven't been clamoring for (again words from LS) I admit I'm intrigued. Hmh....Will the revelation, that Harry is a Potter include the fact that Lily is his mother, James his father and Rose, Sidra and John are therefore his quasi-siblings? If not, could it be it? Or perhaps revelation of how exactly Harry has become Lord Black (you know ... Bellatrix killing Sirius, Sirius being Harry's godfather and heir and all that)? So many possibilities!

        Anyway....keep up the good work LS. Also can't keep from hoping, that since holidays are incoming, you'll be able to hurl another chapter our way before it's end or at it's end.

        hjakub

        --- In DelendaEst@yahoogroups.com, "kackysnorgle" <hartsell.brendan@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > This means that it needs to show power, and in such a way to enhance the mystic Harry has gathered to himself. Preferably in some kind of coup that makes the Death Eaters still look bad.
        > >
        > > Until next time
        > >
        > > gallandro
        > >
        > > ps. I'm assuming the school year is out since Emma Dobbs, Ron, and Leo all seemed to be at home for the attack.

      • Thomas Pulk
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2012
          The other reveal hinted at was I think more of Harry to Bella about her role in his ascending to Lord Black. Also her own history has been left rather muddled. Harry hasn't explained to her about her being prisoner in Azkaban for so long. All she really knows is that she was opposite Harry and was responsible for atrocious acts, and her own suicide.

          I'm glad that you were also left with the impression that Draco may have not sworn an oath to Bella. It makes me feel good that its not just myself that can follow the logic of my overactive imagination. I will say that LS has been someone who routinely skips over small scenes so its not out of the realm of possibility that it was one of those small bits that were just implied.

          The big hint that Harry's recent announcement about his survival being in the papers is something that I'm having trouble reconciling. Does this mean its an announcement from the Minister or someone else, or will it happen in front of the press in some way? There are plenty of ways in which Harry can dominate DE's and announce his presence so other than the qualifications I raised it doesn't narrow anything down at all. I think the press issue is what will trully determine either Harry or Bella's at the moment decision. I just can't wait to see how it plays.

          The other bit I'm wondering about now is something that relates to if Hogwarts is out or not. I'm assuming it is since "the train ride home" was referenced [forgot that in my earlier post]. Will this mean Dumbldoor tries to tie himself to Bella and Harry now that he has some more free time? In fact all the professors should be less busy and might suddenly interact with our couple more. Will this be something that Bella and Harry can live with or will the Headmaster trying to "muscle in" cause some problems.

          gallandro

          --- In DelendaEst@yahoogroups.com, "hjakub@..." <non@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > As for the other revelation, that we readers haven't been clamoring for (again words from LS) I admit I'm intrigued. Hmh....Will the revelation, that Harry is a Potter include the fact that Lily is his mother, James his father and Rose, Sidra and John are therefore his quasi-siblings? If not, could it be it? Or perhaps revelation of how exactly Harry has become Lord Black (you know ... Bellatrix killing Sirius, Sirius being Harry's godfather and heir and all that)? So many possibilities!
          >
          > Anyway....keep up the good work LS. Also can't keep from hoping, that since holidays are incoming, you'll be able to hurl another chapter our way before it's end or at it's end.

        • Lord Silvere
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 17, 2012
            Comments in bold. LS

            On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Thomas Pulk <gallandro_83@...> wrote:

            Alright Early Christmas Presents [and we don't even have to feel guilty about unwrapping them to peek inside]

            Thanks for the quick turnaround on your Christmas break, I know I for one am happy to see you have some time for the frivolous pursuits.

            I tried to post during Thanksgiving, but only got about 4,000 words deep into the chapter before finals overtook me.

            I will say that I liked the different voices in the chapter, they seemed to flow quite well and without any big changes due to the gap since the last post.

            I thought the intro scene having both Harry and Bella discuss their big reveal was quite interesting given the discussion I recently started. I would love to see all of the readers as well as Bella's and Harry's ideas on the event.

            That was there before you started the discussion, btw. ;)

            I will say that I am a little surprised with just how advanced your making Bella seem with wards and Arthmitancy [especially given how you keep reminding us she never finished 7th year]. I know that some of that is a pureblood and even Black upbringing, but I never got the impression that Cygnus had all of those talents to teach her those skills and it sounds as if her relationship with her mother prevented that avenue as well. Who then was her mentor that imparted such lore upon her?

            Bellatrix was a very adept student. Additionally, she has been carefully reading a lot of books over several months. If she was totally and completely brilliant, she would have plowed through to the answer by now.

            It was strange to see Lily try to 'pump' Harry as Bella for information. I couldn't quite tell if it was at the behest of Albus or just her innate curiosity about Ashworth, and thus his and Bella's relationship.

            Just Lily's personal curiosity.

            I'm curious just what James and Lily think of the whole Imperius aspect of the deal he cut with the captured couples. It sounded like they didn't object at the time but will "Bella" being able to hold 4 wizards under the curse at a time make the Order more cautious? Will the nature of the curse come back and be a political problem or is the consent of the other party [even at wand-point] enough to make it legal?

            Definitely sketchy. But, I think it will float without many comments. J/L passed it on to Dd and will let him do what he thinks is best.

            Albus's little diatribe on the new political Bella was interesting to see. I especially liked the allusion that a "good" politician is one that stays bought. At least that is how I read his last little jab. (wonder just who has turned on Albus in that particular arena)

            You stated that Draco was putting the lawn mower in Bella's car, I wonder if he will be forced to take cleaning the car up on his chore list soon. We also haven't seen him work to much more on the 2nd house he is supposed to be repairing even if he has "free time" with his new found employees. I wonder if Bella will institute some kind of penalty system? If he does finish one house I can't imagine it will be long before he has another one on his hands. I really want a scene where the house of cards Draco has comes crashing down on his head.

            We'll have to see on Draco. His story is quite expansive, but I don't think I'm going to cover it in great detail in DE. He is working on the house, but quite slowly. He'll naturally have friction with Bellatrix whenever Bellatrix has reason to visit Privet Drive. (Tom is being drugged and fed by Kreacher, btw.)

            Actually I have a few questions about Draco that came to my mind now that he has access to so many people. 1) Will he now find himself in the crossfire between Lily and Bella? 2) I'm assuming that he doesn't have a wand is that the case or did they him a Wandell to simple tasks? 3) Did they ever put him under oath about Harry Ashworth? 4) Draco hasn't really seemed to care that Lucius is dead, did having to rebuild the Malfoy fortune make him less of a father/role model this time around?

            Lily isn't about to get involved with Draco. No wand for Draco. Draco is not under oath, but he doesn't know about Harry, either. See the chapter where they interacted . . . .
            Yeah, Lucius and Draco weren't all that close this time around.

[...]

            That would be an interesting plot if Lily accidentally set Tom free, but I don't want to go there. You'll just have to see how Lily deals with this.

            I wonder how Rose's prophetic gifts are coping with the slightly different past and future that she is trying to glimpse. Could she even get a clear picture? Regardless I'm kind of surprised with her abilities and "logic" she hasn't identified the item taken from the Grimwald Place as another Horocrux.

            She'll only be able to see ghosts of ghosts if anything at all when it comes to Harry's past. As for what the Death Eaters removed from Grimmauld Place, I'm sure she hasn't even thought of that. Though, as of perhaps the next chapter, I think H/B will be thinking about it.

[...]

            Yes. Hogwarts is out for the summer. I was kind of subtle on that. Ron, Hermione, and Sidra have completed their Seventh Year.

          • Lord Silvere
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 17, 2012
              Comments in bold for this one, too. LS

              On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM, hjakub@... <non@...> wrote:

              Well, well, well. An early Christmas present.

              Let me say this was another excellent chapter. And now to some pondering....

              Gallandro raised some very interesting questions. First being that Draco business. Since I don't think there is not a scene with Draco swearing an oath in the fic, I am gonna assume he didn't swear. That would imply that even Bellatrix can't anticipate every possibility, like Lily and James seeing Draco and therefore sniffing the trace of "Trixie White". Suddenly I'm getting a feeling that the "The big reveal" won't be just one event but two coinciding events, two more or less coinciding reveals:
              1) Bella (possibly with Harry in attendance) revealing his living status to Prewitt and possibly Amelia and ...
              2)Lily and James investigating and revealing something fishy, something which is "wrong in the state of Denmark", so to speak.

              No comment.

              Now to Amelia and Crouches situation. Again Gallandro kind of nailed it. Bella giving Amelia the info about Crouch Jr. Crouch Sr. quite possibly falling with or because of his son and his nefarious connection to certain halfblood with delusions of grandeur and sick fascination with splitting his soul. Amelia ascending as the new Head of DMLE. That would be perfect outcome for me. But that might be because of my bias. I don't care much for either Crouch, while Amelia is on of my favorite characters.

              Amelia has had a setback, but Bellatrix isn't about to destroy a figure who could be useful. And of course, Harry harbors quite a bit of respect for her as a result of his interactions with her in the canon.