Anticipating the next chapter, here are some things to think about

  • Thomas Pulk
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2012
      I think I can speak for just about everyone by saying that Delenda Est is one of the best fics out there and we can't wait to see what comes next for Harry and Bella.

      In anticipation I was wondering if people had any ideas about a few items.

      We have heard that sooner rather than later Harry will be revealed. I was wondering if people have any ideas on how this might happen? In rereading the story it seems as if there are 2 ways that come to my mind.

      1. Harry has been taking Polyjuice to impersonate Bella quite a bit in the last few chapters. We know in the last battle that Harry reverted but only Lestrange caught him out. Now that he is working with both Longbottoms will they see him change when they go attack the DE's?

      2. Lily seems to be on a quest to discover who might be targeting the Dursleys. I'm wondering if Lily will find Bella on Privet Drive when she knows she's somewhere else and force some kind of confrontation that brings both Harry and Bella together in front of the Order.

      The other item I want to bring up is about Harry's new technique. Do you think this is something that will stand him in good stead as a dueler or is it impractical. I'm only guessing but I assume that his new ability is in someway tied to his new abilities with illusions. If this is the case can experienced opponents sense and the illusions or are they sufficiently advanced to fool others.

      Also I've been wondering for a while if Harry's ability would overcome Moody's fake eye? I think that the spell Harry uses is different from most normal illusions in that it seems to only work when directed and hiding the primary subject. This might mean that in order to break through the enchantment the wizard might need to somehow break the spell hiding Harry first.

      Also, I know I raised this point in an earlier post but don't remember anyone commenting on it. What would happen to Harry if some kind of exorcism spell is used? I think as stated above that the projection spell is something beyond the common charm. Does Harry put enough of himself into it that he is vulnerable to this kind of attack? I wonder if in the midst of a battle he can be affected enough that it further casts doubt on if he is "real" or "not real".

      In addition I was trying to decide what Harry and or Bella will teach the younger members of their conspiracy. Leo seemed to be impressed with Harry's techniques and would like to try and learn them. I know that Bella would tend to try and limit some of the knowledge that they would learn on general principles. I think that also the differences between Bella and Harry will tell in the way they teach dueling. I expect Bella will be more verbal while Harry is hands on, this will mean that in general the kids will learn theory and techniques from Bella and Harry will polish their techniques. I do wonder if Harry will be able to teach them anything since his power seems to be so much greater than them and if it will limit what he can pass on.

      On the other side of the battle I was wondering if people had any ideas for what Voldemort might have learned in the past few months. We know that he has been searching for Harry Ashworth and that most Ashworths come from Australia. We also know that Orion at least knew that Harry wasn't a true Ashworth from a family friend. Will Voldemort reach out to any international friends to find this same information? I also am thinking that he is more than likely planning some kind of trap by now to try and capture either Bella or the "ghost" soon. We know that the Death Eaters have been making various attacks in the wizarding world but I have a feeling that Voldemort is getting impatient and will make a move of his own soon.

      We also know that Riddle spent time doing various activities between the past and present. I am assuming he in some way overcame the injuries that plagued him after Abraxas's spell trap. I also personally am under the impression that after such a close call so early in his own campaign that he would become more cautious of personal appearances. Its not stated anywhere but is Voldemort as active on raids as in canon? Has he faced the Potters Lognbottoms and Dumbledoor as much this time around or does he hide in the shadows more? What are other peoples thoughts on the matter.

      I also think Voldemort tried to find some way to protect his own body. It seems as if the Horocrux's are relatively the same and have similar protections, but I still think in the almost 20 yrs between Ashworth and Bella's reappearance that Riddle would have found some ritual to make himself harder to kill conventionally as well as his immortality option. I think the Philosopher's Stone is safely with Flamel but in the history of wizardry both Light and Dark I would think something else exists to help "stopper Death" as it were. Is Riddle therefore more indestructable, more resilent, or anything else and if so is there some kind of side effect which might hinder him?

      Looking forward to the next installment but happy to hear from anyone about these or any other issues.

      gallandro

      Happy Holidays
    • Lord Silvere
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 13, 2012
        Well, for the big reveal, I think you'll find that I've been planting seeds leading to it for quite a while, but I don't you've recognized any of them for what they were. In the next chapter, I've even planted some red herrings.

        The next chapter stands at 7,800 words. When does it get posted? I'm not sure. I've promised that the chapter that follows it will include the big reveal to some people that Harry is alive. So, that means this chapter still needs to cover some extra things. Unless you want the big reveal to be the final scene of the next chapter and be a nasty cliffhanger. :) But, I've got to finish one scene and write two more for sure. Then I'll probably outline the next chapter to make sure the reveal scene and the final scenes leading to it will fit.

        Regarding writing schedule . . . . . I'm taking my final final today, then driving home for the holidays. Hopefully I can get some typing done tonight and tomorrow and the next day.

        Best,

        LS

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2012
          OK I was going through the story some more because your damn clues make me want to see how good I am at predicting things and I have a new conclusion. (I'll save it to the end in case people don't want spoilers.)

          So you've left us a trail of bread crumbs. I think this is what different characters know in the story:

          Bella
          -Harry is Harry Potter
          -He is a time traveler

          Everyone
          -Harry Ashworth is an identity created for him in the past
          -Harry and Bella married
          -Harry was trusted by/promoted by Orion, Abraxan and Cygnus
          -Harry was a mediocre professor but had some dueling experience

          Order
          -Harry is a parselmounth and opened the chamber
          -Harry and Bella know about the Horocruxes
          -Harry/Bella control the Malfoy ring and can access the Malfoy estate
          -Harry reseached the Dark Lord and has specilized knowledge about his past
          -Harry received the Black/Malfoy fortune
          -James looks like Harry
          -Harry opened the COS & killed ballisk

          Voldemort
          -Harry repelled his Legimency
          -Overcame his Imperius curse
          -Harry and Bella know about the Horocruxes
          -Can "feel" and is troubled by Ashworth's shade

          Young Students
          -Harry is incredibly powerful
          -Harry had been injured

          I couldn't see any new information the characters might have on Harry to help lead us to any conclusions but one thing did stand out for me. There is no Defense Teacher at the moment and Harry's "I'm better at DADA" statement has been repeated a few times. I have a feeling that if this story continues past the summer Harry will be the new professor. How this might tie into any revelation I don't know but its the only foreshadowing/hint that I didn't really know I knew that jumped out at me.

          The only real other question is if Harry will be revealed as Harry Potter or only as the prophesied Lord Black? It seems with your hints that he will be revealed as a Potter but I honestly can't see how.

          gallandro

          --- In DelendaEst@yahoogroups.com, Lord Silvere <lordsilvere@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > in the shadows more? What are other peoples thoughts on the matter.
          > >
          > > I also think Voldemort tried to find some way to protect his own body. It
          > > seems as if the Horocrux's are relatively the same and have similar
          > > protections, but I still think in the almost 20 yrs between Ashworth and
          > > Bella's reappearance that Riddle would have found some ritual to make
          > > himself harder to kill conventionally as well as his immortality option. I
          > > think the Philosopher's Stone is safely with Flamel but in the history of
          > > wizardry both Light and Dark I would think something else exists to help
          > > "stopper Death" as it were. Is Riddle therefore more indestructable, more
          > > resilent, or anything else and if so is there some kind of side effect
          > > which might hinder him?
          > >
          > > Looking forward to the next installment but happy to hear from anyone

        • Lord Silvere
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2012
            Hrm. Interesting.

            ***************
            ***************
            *************
            ************

            I don't really see a Hogwarts professorship in Harry's future. I don't think many people would want to see Harry stuck at Hogwarts again. Although it would kind of be nice for Harry to have the opportunity to establish that he's quite good at teaching DADA.

            As for the big reveal coming in the chapter after next, it only covers that Harry is alive (everybody who gets the newspaper will know). Although, as a result of it, a select few will be brought into knowing about the time travel. The reveal that Harry is a Potter will come later in the story. It will coincide with another reveal that I haven't heard many people clamoring for, though. How will Bella feel when she finds out precisely how Harry inherited the Black estate? :)

            As for foreshadowing or hints . . . . hrm. Perhaps I haven't given you guys a very good shadow of the reveal scene. But, once the scene comes, you'll see that I've been lining up my ducks for this scene for quite a while. :)

            Next chapter now sits at 8,307 words. For the chapter to be finished, I need to add two perspective POV scenes (very short), and then what amounts to 3 medium-length scenes.

            LS

          • lolkacher
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 16, 2012
              I do find it is wired that Dumbeldore told Hermione about the souls containers however didn't mention it to the order.

              Also when you mention time travel, there 2 time travel.

              The first one in the start and the one in the middle.

              I would also expected Bellatrix to milk Harry about the info he knows about Death Eaters identities, Harry knows for sure Crouch is a death eater.

            • bekkajane93
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 16, 2012
                I completely forgot about Bella not knowing that her future self killed Sirius.  She may not be outwardly loving and caring about him, but I can imagine that would shake her up quite a bit.  That and the Harry-is-a-Potter revelation are two points of the story I'm really looking forward to now.

                I can't wait for this Harry-is-alive revelation chapter now that people are starting to speculate.  I have to wonder if it's something that the characters are going to figure out for themselves or if Harry is just going to come out in the open.  I can't see how anyone could figure out the time travel thing without either  Harry or Bella telling them... At this point I doubt they have enough information to come to that conclusion (although Edward Foxe seems to know things he shouldn't). I've decided against trying to guess how it might happen since I'll undoubtedly get it wrong, but I'm certainly curious as to how people will react to the news.  Lily is always interesting with Harry because she seems to subconsciously connect with him on some level.  I'm sure she'll be very happy to know he's alive, but she was always pretty curious as a teenager so I wonder if she'll be constantly trying to figure him out or not.  James and Sirius in particular were very keen on finding out his secrets when they were teenagers (although that might of been simply because James didn't like Lily having a crush on Harry).  I think those two would be less inclined to accept not knowing the whole truth and might try to suss out more information.  Not that I can see any way they could figure out more than what Harry and Bella give them, but it will be interesting to know if they try or not.  I'm especially looking forward to Snape and Moody's reactions.  I'm not sure Moody will do anything particularly entertaining, but I do love the way he and Harry interact with each other.  I'm sure he'll be glad to have someone who clearly knows how to handle a dark lord back in the game.  Snape's opinion has probably changed the greatest when it comes to Harry.  He thought him a bit of a moron back in his school days because Harry clearly knew very little about potions, but I think in retrospect he can see the wisdom in Harry, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the dynamics between those two have changed.  As for Dumbledore, the only thing I'm curious about is whether or not he'll come clean about the prophecy to Harry, since so far he's kept it to himself when dealing with Bellatrix.

                Harry's public image is beginning to really interest me now that the newspapers are starting to cover him.  The ghost of a man who came out of nowhere and was a close confidante of an assassinated Minister of Magic who spearheaded a campaign against a dark lord who nobody knew existed at the time has suddenly returned to wreak havoc on the Death Eaters' little excursions.  I can see that being great for headlines... especially if he's about to be outed at actually being alive, but still in his early twenties. I find it a little ironic that Harry wiped himself out of a universe where he was famous for being the Boy-Who-Lived, only to make a name for himself opposing Voldemort and then seemingly rising from the dead 20 years later.  I can imagine his exasperation should Rita Skeeter start hounding him for interviews and making up info on him again. Perhaps his knowledge about her illegal animagus form will come in handy.

                I kind of figured with Harry starting to teach the kids (or at least Leo) a thing or two about duelling, that might prove to people like Dumbledore, Moody, McGonagall, Lily and the Marauders that he is an effective teacher, just not great at potions.  I think once he's out in the open and isn't duelling Death Eaters under polyjuice or the guise of being a ghost then his skills in that area will be affirmed in everyone's mind.

                Looking forward to the next chapter.
                - BekkaJane