Re: Linux and DSS [Updated]

  • wes_armour
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi Luc,

      I can't give any quantatative performance info because my windows
      machine (laptop) is a 1.2Ghz celeron and my Linux box is a 3Ghz dual
      core, raid, much more memory..... You get the picture, I'm sure.

      I will try to get DSS working on a dual boot machine and do some tests
      at some point, once I have some details I'll post them here.

      Now I've had time to play with DSS under Linux I would like to add a
      couple of points to my first e-mail.

      I've found that it is much more reliable to use the DSS exe rather
      than trying to install DSS under wine. So the method should now be..

      1) Download the source for wine

      2) In wine-0.9.31/dlls/kernel32/kernel32.spec change the following two
      lines:

      @ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringA(long ptr long str ptr)
      @ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringW(long ptr long wstr ptr)

      #@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringA(long ptr long str ptr)
      #@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringW(long ptr long wstr ptr)

      (i.e. comment them out)

      3) Rebuild wine...
      a) ./configure
      b) make depend && make
      c) make install (must be root to do this)

      4) Copy the following dlls from your windows:

      msvcp80.dll
      msvcr80.dll
      gdiplus.dll
      mfc80.dll

      to your system32 folder in your wine dir (normally /home/<your
      username here>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/

      5) Download the DSS exe and extract it to a folder (maybe your home
      dir?) using the command unzip DeepSkyStacker_exe.zip

      6) Next type winecfg. Under the applications tab click the add
      application button. Then navigate to DeepSkyStacker.exe and hit open.
      Select windows version: windows XP

      7) Click the libraries tab. In the new override for library box enter
      the name of the four dll files you previously copied to your system32
      folder (one at a time!). Next (for each of them) highlight them, click
      edit and set the override to native.

      8) This isn't always required, it is processor dependent. Add the
      following to your kernel line in your /etc/grub.conf file:

      noexec=off noexec32=off

      so you should have something that looks like:

      module /vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6xen ro root=/dev/md1 rhgb quiet
      noexec=off noexec32=off

      9) reboot

      10) If all has gone well, in a terminal type wine DeepSkyStacker.exe.
      It should launch dss :)

      11) If you turn beryl/compiz off you'll get a far smoother ride ;)

      There are a couple of things...

      a) DSS doesn't have the default kappa-sigma values,
      b) the curve in the processing tab is linear (i.e. all luminance
      sliders are set to zero.)

      I'm guessing these are registry values DSS picks up.

      Thats it :)

      Cheers,

      wes.

      --- In DeepSkyStacker@yahoogroups.com, "Luc Coiffier"
      <deepskystacker@...> wrote:

      > Hi Wes,
      >
      > Thanks a lot for such a detailed installation procedure!
      >
      > BTW, about performances, did you try the same DSS version with Linux
      > and Windows?
      >
      > Luc

    • OMI
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 23, 2010
        Hi Wes!

        I have problem with install DSS v.3.3.2 in the WINE-1.3.1 under Ubuntu 10.04.
        The installer do it for half install process and stoped.

      • pdentrem@softcom.ca
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
          Yes this is a very old topic but I just installed DSS 3.3.3 Beta 47 on my new system. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and Wine 1.4.

          Simply loaded via Wine and had no issues. As Luc stated the There are a couple small issues.

          I copied the items that Luc mentioned from his post. Hope that is OK?

          quote
          There are a couple of things...

          a) DSS doesn't have the default kappa-sigma values,
          b) the curve in the processing tab is linear (i.e. all luminance
          sliders are set to zero.)

          I'm guessing these are registry values DSS picks up.
          End quote

          I have also installed PS7, works fine, and will test PS CS5 hopefully later tonight.
          Pierre

        • Alexander Varakin
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
            Pierre, thanks for sharing your experience!
            Did you have any of the issues:
            1. DSS hanging after stacking
            2. DSS forgetting all settings after exiting

            Did you have to install any Windows DLLs?

            Thanks,
            Alex
          • pdentrem@softcom.ca
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
              So far I have only tried it twice. It worked right through and I then loaded the finished Tiff into PS7 and worked it so more. I have not tried to save the list for future use. I will try more tomorrow if possible, but at the moment I am happy.

              I right clicked on the exe file and selected wine and sat back. No other input from me.

              Now to just get CS5 to load and I would be set. I can use PS7 but easier with the newer version.
              Pierre