Star Problem with Comets

  • J. D MADDY
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2017
      I must have messed up a setting and haven't been able to figure it out.
      The stars seem smeared when stacking comets. I have used two different
      Canon cameras with the same result. One modified and this one not.

      Using 3.3.4. 19 30 second exposures. Applied darks, flats and bias. All
      new.

      Any ideas on what to do?

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/59454099@N00/34539284142/in/dateposted-public/

      Thanks,

      JD Maddy

      Clarkdale, AZ
    • chrislevitan

        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2017

          Hi,

          The comet moves relative to the stars so stars will smear when DSS aligns on the comet core. DSS has a comet stacking mode where it combines the stacked comet with a stacked star image but it is difficult to get the combination working properly. You could experiment with it and see if you like the result better.

             Sander
        • Leonard Ward
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2017
            Hi JD;

              I looks like you did not manually identify the comet center in each sub frame before stacking with the "Comet" mode. Click the Edit Comet Icon in the Image window then locate the center of the comet with the mouse, hold Shift and hit the left click on the mouse. This should place a circle around the point you selected. You have to do this in every frame.

            Fly with Pegasus
            Len
            Orion Atlas EQ-G, Meade LXD75
            Meade SN8, Explore Scientific AR102, Tasco 114
            Canon T1i, Celestron 5M, ZWO ASI120MM-S
            DSS, Pixinsight

            On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:43 PM, sander_pool@... [DeepSkyStacker] <DeepSkyStacker@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Hi,

            The comet moves relative to the stars so stars will smear when DSS aligns on the comet core. DSS has a comet stacking mode where it combines the stacked comet with a stacked star image but it is difficult to get the combination working properly. You could experiment with it and see if you like the result better.

               Sander

          • Sander Pool
            Message 5 of 6 , May 16, 2017
              Hi,

              I haven't tried this myself in many years but I think it is possible to
              identify the comet center in the first and last image and DSS will
              extrapolate the ones in between. Of course only do this if the comet is
              on a straight line and all images are of the same duration.

              Sander

              On 5/16/2017 4:26 PM, Leonard Ward wardlr2012@... [DeepSkyStacker]
              wrote:
              > I looks like you did not manually identify the comet center in each
              > sub frame before stacking with the "Comet" mode. Click the Edit Comet
              > Icon in the Image window then locate the center of the comet with the
              > mouse, hold Shift and hit the left click on the mouse. This should
              > place a circle around the point you selected. You have to do this in
              > every frame.
            • J. D MADDY
              Message 6 of 6 , May 17, 2017

                I did mark the center of the comet on each frame. Very carefully also. I've not had this problem until recently. I shot the comet again last night, so I'll give it another try. I also shot Tuttle 41P. I'll let everyone know the results.

                Thanks,

                JD Maddy

                Clarkdale, AZ