Why is DSS misreading my Canon RAW images?

  • timmyd7777
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24, 2017

      Hi everyone,

      I'm a new DsspSkyStacker user who's just returned from a trip to South Africa.  I had a couple of dark sky nights on the trip and managed to take some images with my Canon T3i DSLR.  These are all 5-second exposures (I had a crappy lightweight mount incapable of tracking much longer than that).

      The problem is that DSS (version 3.3.2, running on Win10) shows all my RAW files as grayscale 1336x3516 images.  This is NOT correct.  Every other program I've got (Photoshop, a bunch of shareware image editors, the Mac Finder) shows them to be 5184x3456 RGB color images.

      DSS has no problem opening the Canon JPEGs correctly - these come through as 5184x3456 RGB images.  But of course I'd rather do all my stacking in RAW, not JPG.

      I've put a sample of my RAW and JPG images on a webserver, below.  Does anybody have any hints as to what I'm doing wrong?  Can anybody else reproduce the problem?  Here are the sample images:

      http://www.southernstars.com/files/EtaCarinaeRaw/_MG_0622.CR2

      http://www.southernstars.com/files/EtaCarinaeRaw/_MG_0622.JPG

      Thanks very much & clear skies.

      Tim DeBenedictis

      SkySafari / Simulation Curriculum

    • pfile
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2017
        probably need to update to 3.3.4 to get a later version of DCRAW.

        http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/download.htm

        look down a couple of links from the big 3.3.2 link.

        rob
      • Leonard Ward
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2017
          Hi Tim;

            You are not doing anything wrong, and DSS is not doing anything wrong either. DSS is reporting that it is dealing with the RAW data that is not debayered yet to make it a color image. It has confused many DSS users but it is correct and will stack your images just fine.

          Fly with Pegasus
          Len
          Orion Atlas EQ-G, Meade LXD75
          Meade SN8, Explore Scientific AR102, Tasco 114
          Canon T1i, Celestron 5M, ZWO ASI120MM-S
          DSS, Pixinsight

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2017
            Len - true, people get tripped up by the "greyscale" thing, but tim reported that DSS says his images are 1336x3516 which is not the proper size of an undebayered T3i raw file. so most likely he has to upgrade to 3.3.4. of course it will also report the files as greyscale, because as you pointed out, that's what they are until they are debayered.

            rob