7402EVENTS FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE: Fwd: Baltimore Activist Alert - Apr. 4 -11, 2014

  • CStevenson/Geotrees.Com
    Apr 3, 2014
      EVENTS FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE: Fwd: Baltimore Activist Ale

      >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Wednesday, April 2, 2014  *  Metro Washington, DC and Baltimore, Maryland

      Forwarded Courtesy of GEOTREES.COM

      An Intercultural Crossroads On Line
      for Communication, Understanding, Reconciliation, and Peace

      *   Your Postings are Welcome at All Times at <Events AT Geotrees. Com  *

      * * *    *    * * *

      [Thanks to Max Obuszewski and the Baltimore Nonviolence Center for this piece.  Please visit their blog at the link at the bottom of this message to see this and other pieces and commentaries published through the Center.]

      From: "Max Obuszewski" < @...>
      To: "Max Obuszewski" < @...>
      Subject: Baltimore Activist Alert - Apr. 4 -11, 2014
      Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 13:36:00 -0400

      60] Protest drones - Apr. 5
      61] Canvass for Tom Hucker - Apr. 6
      62] "The Truth About Our Youth" -- Apr. 6
      63] Peace and Pancakes - Apr. 6
      64] Organizing for the Global Climate Convergence - Apr. 6
      65] Jewish Workshop on Climate-Crisis Organizing -- Apr. 6
      66] Day of Solidarity with the Russian LGBTQ -- Apr. 6
      67] Home Energy Workshop - Apr. 6
      68] Pentagon Vigil -- Apr. 7
      69] Health Care in Post-Conflict and Fragile States -- Apr. 7 - 11
      70] Save the date! -  Aug. 10
      71] Max is seeking a place to live
      72] Ronda Cooperstein on social media
      73] Sign up with Washington Peace Center
      74] Join Fund Our Communities
      75] Donate books, videos, DVDs and records
      76] Do you need any book shelves or file cabinets?
      77] Join Global Zero campaign
      78] War Is Not the Answer signs for sale
      79] Join Peace Park Antinuclear Vigil

      59] - The Capitol Hill Days: Family Planning Advocacy will take place from Fri., Apr. 4 at noon through Tues., Apr. 8 at noon at the Fairfax at Embassy Row Hotel, 2100 Massachusetts Ave. NW.  Population Connection is holding a weekend that consists of informational sessions and interactive advocacy training, which will lead up to lobby visits on Capitol Hill. During these visits, participants will have the opportunity to advocate for increased international family planning assistance and sound family planning policy. The program is free to attend. Student scholarships are available for student travel and housing, but registration is required. Contact Jessica Anderson at 202.332.2200 or janderson@....

      60] - On Sat., Apr. 5 from noon until 1 PM, join the monthly (1st Saturday) Center City Phila. Silent Anti-War/Anti-Drone Death Walk...Stop Drone Research at UPenn.  Now in its fourth year...banners, signs, and white masks provided. Gather at University of Pennsylvania, 34th & Walnut Streets, Phila., PA 19104. RSVP to Marge Van Cleef at 203-804-3013.

      61] - There is a Sunday Canvass for Tom Hucker on Apr. 6 from 10:30 AM to 2 PM at 8757 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring.  Tom Hucker is an elected official and a Democrat from Maryland. He currently serves as a member of the Maryland House of Delegates from District 20, which includes various Takoma Park and Silver Spring neighborhoods. Arrive at the staging location at 10:30 AM for a brief training. Email campaign@....

      62] -- Usually, the Baltimore Ethical Society, 306 W. Franklin St., Suite 102, Baltimore 21201-4661, meets on Sundays, and generally there is a speaker and discussion from 10:30 AM to noon.  On Sun., Apr. 6, the platform address is "The Truth About Our Youth."  Kara Aanenson, director of Advocacy, Just Kids Partnership, Community Law In Action, and Rashad Hawkins, Youth Organizer, Just Kids Partnership, will tackle the issue.

      In Maryland, kids as young as 14 can be charged as adults, meaning they are sent to the adult criminal justice system and wait in adult jails pre-trial. When the Just Kids Partnership looked at what happens to youth in the adult system, it found that 70% are sent back to the juvenile justice system or have their case dismissed, nolle prossed, or stetted - after waiting an average of four months (a school semester) in an adult jail. Just Kids recently released a film that examines this practice through the stories of four individuals charged as adults while still teenagers. Just Kids Youth Leaders share their personal stories to bring statistics to life and dispel misconceptions about youth who are charged as adults.  Call 410-581-2322 or email
      ask@....

      63] -- Join the Kadampa Meditation Center for Peace and Pancakes on Sundays at 10:30 AM at KMC Maryland, 2937 North Charles St. All are invited to participate in guided meditation and chant praying for world peace. There will be a talk based on Buddhist thought followed by brunch. Call 410- 243-3837. Brunch is $5.

      64] - Organizing for the Global Climate Convergence in D.C. is happening on Sun., Apr. 6 from 2 to 4 PM at the Shaw Library, 1630 7th St. NW.  The Convergence is an education and direct action campaign that begins this spring, with "10 days to change course," running from Earth Day to May Day. See http://globalclimateconvergence.org/.  This is a brain storm session to plan together and build bridges in anticipation for the GCC in D.C. See https://www.facebook.com/events/1421256891465643/ .

      65] - There is a Jewish Workshop on Climate-Crisis Organizing on Sun., Apr. 6 from 2:30 though  6 PM at Temple Shalom, 8401 Grubb Road, Chevy Chase.  Two national organizations are joining with two Washington-area Jewish organizations, The Shalom Center, the National Coalition-Building Institute, Am Kolel, & Kehila Chadasha, to sponsor a workshop on organizing to prevent climate disaster. Three Jewish leaders will guide the workshop: Rabbi Arthur Waskow, director of The Shalom Center & recipient of T'ruah's Lifetime Achievement Award as Human Rights Hero; Cherie Brown, executive director of NCBI; and Rabbi David Shneyer, spiritual leader of Am Kolel and Kehila Chadasha. Visit https://theshalomcenter.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=10 .

      66] - Join a Day of Solidarity with the Russian LGBTQ on Sun., Apr. 6 from 3 to 4 PM at the White House Fence, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW. This will be a Day of Silence for the seventh time in Russia. On this day, Russian LGBT take a vow of silence with their mouths taped - as a symbol of the fact that they are not allowed to speak openly about the discrimination they face.  Russian-speaking LGBT in Washington, D.C., have decided to devote the Day of Silence in 2014 to those Russian LGBT who were silenced forever because of an ongoing campaign of harassment which began after the adoption of anti-gay laws in Russia. Come to the White House with your mouth taped.  See https://www.facebook.com/events/1434384956806219/?ref=23.

      67] - Bring a Home Energy Workshop to Your Northern Virginia or Baltimore-area Congregation! Through partnerships with Civic Works' Retrofit Baltimore and LEAP-Virginia, you can have a practical home energy workshop presented to your congregation. There will be a workshop on Sun., Apr. 6 at 10 AM at St. Mary's Episcopal Church, 2609 N. Glebe Rd, Arlington. Email Elizabeth at program@.... Call 202-709-7641.

       The vigil will be outside the Pentagon's south Metro entrance and in the designated "protest zone" behind bicycle fences across from the entrance to the Metro.  By Metro, take Yellow Line and get out at the "Pentagon" stop. Do not go to the Pentagon City stop! Go up south escalators and turn left and walk across to protest area.

      By car from D.C. area, take 395 South and get off at Exit 8A-Pentagon South Parking. Take slight right onto S. Rotary Rd. at end of ramp and right on S. Fern St. Then take left onto Army Navy Dr. You can "pay to park" on Army Navy Dr.,  and there is meter parking one block on right on Eads St. Payment for both of these spots begin at 8 AM.  No cameras are allowed on Pentagon grounds. Restrooms are located inside Marriott Residence Inn on corner of S. Fern and Army Navy Dr.

      69] - Health Care in Post-Conflict and Fragile States will be discussed from Mon., Apr. 7 from  9 AM through Fri., Apr. 11 at 5 PM at the U.S. Institute of Peace, 2301 Constitution Ave. NW.  Explore the importance of public health in fragile and conflict-affected states and understand how equal access to good health care is a critical component of post-conflict reconstruction and peacebuilding.  See http://www.usip.org/events/health-care-in-post-conflict-and-fragile-states.

      70] - SAVE THE DATE!!!!! Get over to "Family Fun" night to raise funds for Dr. Mutulu Skakur and the development of a Truth and Reconciliation Commission to free our Political Prisoners/Prisoners of War. It will take place at Skateland North Point, 1113 Old North Point Rd., Baltimore 21222, on Sun., Aug. 10 from 4:30 to 7:30 PM.  Admission is $10 which includes skate rental. Contact Abdul-Jabbar at 610.621.0699 (Maryland State Jericho).  Go to http://mutulushakur.com/site/.

      71] -- Max is seeking a place to live.  Let him know of any possibilities.  He can be reached at 410-366-1637 or mobuszewski at verizon.dot net.

      72] -- Ronda Cooperstein has taken to social media, and is recording her opinion pieces on You Tube.  Check out her latest essay - THE WASHINGTON POST WITH TOAST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffj-Scno-5Q

      73] -- The Washington Peace Center has a progressive calendar & activist alert! Consider signing up to receive its weekly email: info@....

      74] -- Fund Our Communities campaign is a grass roots movement to get support from local organizations and communities to work together with their local and state elected officials to pressure Congresspersons and senators to join with Congresspersons Barney Frank and Ron Paul, who have endorsed a 25% cut to the federal military budget.  Bring home the savings to state and county governments to meet the local needs which are under tremendous budget pressures.  Go to www.OurFunds.org.

      75] -- If you would like to get rid of books, videos, DVDs or records, contact Max at 410-366-1637 or mobuszewski at verizon.net.

      76] -- Can you use any book shelves? Can you use any file cabinets? Contact Max at 410-366-1637 or mobuszewski at verizon.net.

      77] -- Join an extraordinary global campaign for the elimination of nuclear weapons: http://www.globalzero.org/sign-declaration . A growing group of leaders around the world is calling for the elimination of nuclear weapons and a majority of the global public agrees.  This is an historic window of opportunity.  With momentum already building in favor of Zero, a major show of support from people around the world could tip the balance. When it comes to nuclear weapons, one is one too many.

      78] -- WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER signs from Friends Committee on National Legislation are again for sale at $5.  To purchase a sign, call Max at 410-366-1637.

      79] - A Peace Park Antinuclear Vigil takes place every day in Lafayette Park, 1601 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, 24 hours a day, since June 3, 1981. Go to http://prop1.org; call 202-682-4282.

      "One is called to live nonviolently, even if the change one works for seems impossible. It may or may not be possible to turn the US around through nonviolent revolution. But one thing favors such an attempt: the total inability of violence to change anything for the better" - Daniel Berrigan

      Donations can be sent to the Baltimore Nonviolence Center, 325 E. 25th St., Baltimore, MD 21218.  Ph: 410-366-1637; Email: mobuszewski [at] verizon.net.  Go to:

      http://baltimorenonviolencecenter.blogspot.com/

      "The master class has always declared the wars; the subject class has always fought the battles.  The master class has had all to gain and nothing to lose, while the subject class has had nothing to gain and everything to lose -- especially their lives."

          - Eugene Victor Debs

      http://www.geotrees.com

      "For the History of the Future"