I'm not a creationist, but...

  • Michael Suttkus
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 1999
      One question that's bothered me for a while (but not
      enough to do any actual research) is flamingo knees.
      Does anyone know of a Darwinian model for getting bird
      knees on backwards?

      ===
      "But no living man am I! You look upon woman. �owyn I am,
      �omer's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin.
      Begone if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead,
      I will smite you, if you touch him."
      -�owyn, "The Return of the King"
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 1999
        > One question that's bothered me for a while (but not
        > enough to do any actual research) is flamingo knees.
        > Does anyone know of a Darwinian model for getting bird
        > knees on backwards?

        They're not backwards---what you see as "knees" are actually the
        ankle joints. The bird femur is very short and is hidden up
        underneath all the feathers. The tibia and trasal bones are very
        long, and the joint between them is what we see as the bird's
        "knees".

        Check out my herp photos:
        http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/2421
        Creation "science" debunked:
        http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2437
      • Michael Suttkus
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 1999
          lflank@... wrote:

          >>Does anyone know of a Darwinian model for getting
          >>bird knees on backwards?

          >They're not backwards---what you see as "knees" are
          >actually the ankle joints. The bird femur is very
          >short and is hidden up underneath all the feathers.
          >The tibia and trasal bones are very long, and the
          >joint between them is what we see as the bird's
          >"knees".

          That makes sense, as far as it goes, but still leaves
          open why they would have made the adaptation to begin
          with.

          ===