Re: Your Mission.... :)

  • David Middleton
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
      --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Flank" <lflank@...>
      wrote:

      > > Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to explain
      > > evolutionary theory to the layman using the amount of text that
      would
      > > fit on one side of one sheet of printer paper, using language not
      out
      > > of reach of the average eighth grader. Ready set go.

      Ok, I'm going to try to dumb it down. Sometimes a string of only
      slightly complex words, or even words that just aren't used much by
      the listener is just mind numbing to people. So while its within the
      reach of an eight grader, the chances of an eight grader getting it
      are still pretty slim. I sometimes spend hours trying to make legal
      documents accessible, So with my apologies to Lenny up front ...

      How about:

      The idea of evolution came from Darwin's book On The Origin of
      Species Through Natural Selection. His theory of evolution can be
      summed up in a number of simple statements:

      (1) The individuals in any particular group of living beings will be
      different from each other in minor ways. They will be slightly
      different in physical characteristics and in how they act.

      (2) These differences can be passed from parents to their children,
      and the children of the parents with a particular type of body or
      behavior will also tend to have that same body type or behavior.

      (3) Some of these body types or behaviors will give the ones that
      have them an advantage in life (or avoid some disadvantage), allowing
      that them to obtain more food, escape predators more efficiently,
      etc.

      Thus, the ones that possess such a useful variation will tend
      to survive longer and produce more children than the ones who do not.
      The children will also tend to have this advantage. This will have
      the affect of increasing, over a number of generations, the number
      that have the advantage and decresing the number that do not.

      These statements combined to be the basic idea of evolution. The idea
      is many small changes in they body and behavior, which nature selects
      for, after a long period of time, produces living beings that are so
      different than the living beings that we started with that they are
      no longer the kind of living being. We say they are now a different
      spieces. This process of making different species, repeated over the
      3.5 billion year span of time since life first appeared on earth,
      explains how we have so many different species on earth now.
    • Mikey Brass
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
        > Ok, I'm going to try to dumb it down. Sometimes a string of only
        > slightly complex words, or even words that just aren't used much by
        > the listener is just mind numbing to people. So while its within the
        > reach of an eight grader, the chances of an eight grader getting it
        > are still pretty slim.

        David, if an 8th grader does not grasp what you wrote then frankly
        he/she is a irredeemable ectoplasm. Anyone above age 7 would understand.
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
          > [...]
          > > These principles are combined to form the core of the evolutionary
          > > model. The Darwinian outlook holds that small incremental changes in
          > > structure and behavior, brought about by the natural selection of
          > > variations, produce, after a long period of time, organisms that
          > > differ so greatly from their ancestors that they are no longer the
          > > same organism, and must be classified as a separate species. This
          > > process of speciation, repeated over the 3.5 billion year span of
          > > time since life first appeared on earth, explains the gradual
          > > production of all of life's diversity.
          > >

          > Of course, Lenny! That's very nice. :)

          Go right ahead. :>

          It's how I used to explain evolution to middle schoolers while doing
          snake shows.

          ===================================

          Creation "Science" Debunked
          http://www.geocities.com/lflank

          My Reptile Page
          http://www.geocities.com/lflank/herp.html
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
            > Ok, I'm going to try to dumb it down.

            No need to. It's the standard speech that I gave to middle schoolers
            while I was doing educational shows using live reptiles.

            They understood it just fine. :>

            Evolution, as a concept, really isn't that difficult to understand.
            It's just that the details of it, as it applies to all of life, are
            so complex, so inter-relating, and so entangled that it takes a lot
            to sort it all out.

            ===================================

            Creation "Science" Debunked
            http://www.geocities.com/lflank

            My Reptile Page
            http://www.geocities.com/lflank/herp.html
          • MB
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
              Truman wrote:

              > OBSERVATION 1: All species have such great potential fertility that
              their population size would increase exponentially if all individuals
              born would again reproduce successfully.
              > [...]snip

              Nice also. :) I like these one page things! They are straightforward
              enough that maybe even *I* can remember the material well enough to
              present it to somebody. ;)

              Regards,
              MB
            • Wilson Alan
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006

                > > Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to explain
                > > evolutionary theory to the layman using the amount of text that
                would
                > > fit on one side of one sheet of printer paper, using language not
                out
                > > of reach of the average eighth grader.  Ready set go.

                Ok, I'm going to try to dumb it down.  Sometimes a string of only
                slightly complex words, or even words that just aren't used much by
                the listener is just mind numbing to people.  So while its within the
                reach of an eight grader, the chances of an eight grader getting it
                are still pretty slim.  I sometimes spend hours trying to make legal
                documents accessible, So with my apologies to Lenny up front ...

                How about:

                The idea of evolution came from Darwin's book On The Origin of
                Species Through Natural Selection. His theory of evolution can be
                summed up in a number of simple statements:

                (1) The individuals in any particular group of living beings will be
                different from each other in minor ways.  They will be slightly
                different in physical characteristics and in how they act.

                (2) These differences can be passed from parents to their children,
                and the children of the parents with a particular type of body or
                behavior will also tend to have that same body type or behavior.

                (3) Some of these body types or behaviors will give the ones that
                have them an advantage in life (or avoid some disadvantage), allowing
                that them to obtain more food, escape predators more efficiently,
                etc.

                Thus, the ones that possess such a useful variation will tend
                to survive longer and produce more children than the ones who do not.
                The children will also tend to have this advantage.  This will have
                the affect of increasing, over a number of generations, the number
                that have the advantage and decresing the number that do not.

                These statements combined to be the basic idea of evolution. The idea
                is many small changes in they body and behavior, which nature selects
                for, after a long period of time, produces living beings that are so
                different than the living beings that we started with  that they are
                no longer the kind of living being.  We say they are now a different
                spieces. This process of making different species, repeated over the
                3.5 billion year span of time since life first appeared on earth,
                explains how we have so many different s  ecies on earth now.

                With apologies to both Lenny & David,
                I 'm going to try to  simplify it just a little more:

                The idea of evolution came from Darwin's book On The Origin of
                Species Through Natural Selection. His theory of evolution can be
                summed up in  three simple statements:

                (1) The individuals in any particular group of living  things  will be
                different from each other in minor ways.  They will be slightly
                different in physical characteristics and in how they  behave.

                (2) These differences  are  passed from  one generation to the next,
                and the  off spring of the  older generation with a particular type of  physical structure or
                behavior will also tend to have that same  type of physical structure or behavior.

                (3) Some of these  physical structures or behaviors will give the ones that
                have them an advantage in life (or avoid some disadvantage), allowing
                that them to obtain more food  or  escape predators more efficiently,   etc.

                Thus, the ones that possess such a useful variation will tend
                to survive longer and produce more  off spring  than the ones who do not.
                These off spring will also tend to have  these same  advantages.  This will have
                the affect of increasing, over a number of generations, the number
                that have the advantage and decresing the number that do not.

                These statements combined to be the basic idea of evolution. The idea
                is  that  many small changes in  physical structure and behavior, which nature selects
                for,  over a long period of time, produces living  things that are so
                different  from the living  things that  they started  from  that they are
                no longer the  same  kind of living  thing.  We say they are now a different
                species. This process of making  many different species  from earlier species, repeated over the
                3.5 billion year span of time since life first appeared on earth,
                explains how we have so many different species on earth now.

                Alan W

              • dmook
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
                  Let me suggest just a few minor changes in Alan's version:

                • Dennis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
                    Is there space for a line about the overwhelming evidence that supports it and make it a fact?
                    I think the meaning of the "theory" label isn't properly understood by the layman and leaves open a door for the cretinist exploitation.

                    Dennis