Re: [DebunkCreation] Re: Everything happens by pure chance. Right?

  • Mikey Brass
    Message 1 of 82 , Mar 1, 2006
      coder_csharp6 wrote:
      > --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Flank" <lflank@...> wrote:
      >> Evolution ahppens through selection, and that is the very
      >> opposite of "chance".
      >
      > According to my college-level biology textbook it states that
      > according to Darwin, inherited variations among individuals, which
      > occur in every natural population, are a matter of chance.

      Which textbook is this?

      I personally prefer looking at the raw data and journals.

      Inherited variations are, simplistically, a combination of genetic
      mutations and natural selection through adaptation to the environmental
      niche that organism exists in. When taking into account matters like
      genetic drift, I find it hard to take at face value claims of "random"
      and "chance". The reality is a lot more complicated and interesting.

      > Natural selection is chance! And if chance is not true as you say then
      > you either contradict yourself or support creationism.

      ...or, and I wonder if this occurred to you, perhaps your texbook is er
      *wrong*.

      --
      Best, Mikey Brass
      MA in Archaeology degree, University College London

      - !ke e: /xarra //ke
      ("Diverse people unite": Motto of the South African Coat of Arms, 2002)
    • Geoff Willcher
      Message 82 of 82 , Mar 9, 2006
        The Beak of the Finch is a great book to read about scientists observing
        natural selection and speciation (at its beginnings) in action. Researchers
        living on several Galapagos Islands and meticulously capturing and measuring
        seven physical attributes of every member of each of the finch species on
        the island. No merely sampling, but actually measuring the population. Great
        research and good reading.

        geoff