Re: [DebunkCreation] Re: Everything happens by pure chance. Right?

  • Stefan Lindstrom
    Message 1 of 82 , Feb 28, 2006
      > > Evolution ahppens through selection, and that is the very
      > > opposite of "chance".
      >
      > According to my college-level biology textbook it states that
      > according to Darwin, inherited variations among individuals, which
      > occur in every natural population, are a matter of chance.

      Yes, mutations are random. So is rcombination of traits in sexual
      reproduction.

      > They are
      > not produced by the environment by a "creative force," or by the
      > unconsious striving of the organism. In themselves, they have no goal
      > or direction.

      Correct.

      > Natural selection is chance! And if chance is not true as you say then
      > you either contradict yourself or support creationism.

      No, natural selection is the opposite of chance. It acts liek a filter
      removing the randomyl generated variation that has a negative impact on
      reproductive success in a species.

      /Stefan

      "Kernel Panic in the linked library with the named pipe!"
      - Another exciting game of Cluesnix.

      "Yes, a Coder's strength flows from the Source. But beware of the M$ side. Fear,
      Uncertainty, Doubt; the M$ side of the Source are they. Easily they flow, quick
      to join you in a compile. If once you start down the M$ path, forever will it
      dominate your executables, bloat them it will, as it did Spyglass' browser."

      "Some people are like Slinkies. They really aren't much good for anything,
      but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight
      of stairs"

      "Hes got a mind like concrete. All mixed up, and permanently set."
    • Geoff Willcher
      Message 82 of 82 , Mar 9, 2006
        The Beak of the Finch is a great book to read about scientists observing
        natural selection and speciation (at its beginnings) in action. Researchers
        living on several Galapagos Islands and meticulously capturing and measuring
        seven physical attributes of every member of each of the finch species on
        the island. No merely sampling, but actually measuring the population. Great
        research and good reading.

        geoff