Re: [DebunkCreation] A Day in the Life of a Republican

  • Mikey Brass
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2006
      Joe Cooper wrote:
      > http://www.liberalparty.org/

      Hell, the Tories (right of centre) would be classified as far-left
      loonies in the US.

      (website is down so cannot see who their policies would be more closely
      aligned to in Europe)

      I hate to imagine what the Lib Dems would be classified as across the pond!

      --
      Best, Mikey Brass
      MA in Archaeology degree, University College London

      - !ke e: /xarra //ke
      ("Diverse people unite": Motto of the South African Coat of Arms, 2002)
    • Joe Cooper
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2006

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2006
          I thought the piece was well-written, certainly it is from the
          perspective of a union advocate. I almost worked at a union shop
          one time - but thought better of it when I learned there would be
          union nazis all over the place with little pads of paper writing me
          up if I dared to do something a union person could do - like solder
          my own circuit.

          I remember setting up a concert in Houston with some people from the
          church, we managed to rent a large (but decaying) venue. We did all
          the work ourselves to save money - only to find out we would be
          charged $3000 to pay for union workers: who never even showed up,
          obviously didn't do a bit of work.

          Have you watched your favorite TV show or movie on TV lately? If
          you hear a familiar song in the background - I can guarantee you it
          isn't the original song by the original artist. It is some pitiful
          clone of it done by a union musician.

          Unions also drive up the minimum wages and requirements for benefits
          to the point that many people who would be employable at lower wages
          cannot get jobs.

          So - the unions are a mixed blessing. They do some good, but more
          often than not they muddy things up a bit. I don't see how you
          could equate unionism with conservative or liberal. A conservative
          wants less government interference, certainly the unions want more
          in some cases. But some folks accuse conservatives of wanting more
          government interference, which would put them on the same side as
          unionists.

          All off-topic, of course. I'll stop here - all this union talk is
          giving me a headache. I need my unionized nurse (who won't give a
          darn about my treatment as long as she gets paid per union contract -
          survival of the UN-fittest, but best negotiated).
        • Mikey Brass
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 1, 2006
            Bruce Carter wrote:

            > Unions also drive up the minimum wages and requirements for benefits
            > to the point that many people who would be employable at lower wages
            > cannot get jobs.

            I don't "buy" that for a second. The same argument excuse was used
            against Labour prior to them raising the national minimum wage;
            unemployment in Britain is lower under the Labour government and the
            pound is a stronger currency than the dollar. By paying people better,
            it enables families to put money into their pockets to spend in stores.

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 1, 2006
              > Bruce Carter wrote:
              >
              > > Unions also drive up the minimum wages and requirements for benefits
              > > to the point that many people who would be employable at lower wages
              > > cannot get jobs.
              >
              > I don't "buy" that for a second. The same argument excuse was used
              > against Labour prior to them raising the national minimum wage;

              It's been said here EVERY time the minimum wage is raised.

              And it's bullshit every time.

              BTW, the US has the lowest percentage of unionized workers of any
              industrial nation on the planet.

              "Big Labor" is a bullshit boogey-man that the corporados try to scare
              people with.

              ===================================

              Creation "Science" Debunked
              http://www.geocities.com/lflank

              My Reptile Page
              http://www.geocities.com/lflank/herp.html
            • Dan
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 1, 2006
                --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Carter"
                <rbrucecarter@...> wrote:

                > I thought the piece was well-written, certainly it is from the
                > perspective of a union advocate. I almost worked at a union shop
                > one time - but thought better of it when I learned there would be
                > union nazis all over the place with little pads of paper writing me
                > up if I dared to do something a union person could do - like solder
                > my own circuit.
                >
                > I remember setting up a concert in Houston with some people from
                the
                > church, we managed to rent a large (but decaying) venue. We did
                all
                > the work ourselves to save money - only to find out we would be
                > charged $3000 to pay for union workers: who never even showed up,
                > obviously didn't do a bit of work.

                > Unions also drive up the minimum wages and requirements for
                benefits
                > to the point that many people who would be employable at lower
                wages
                > cannot get jobs.
                I can see your point but there is the other side of the coin, lets
                look at some of what you mentioned.

                I immediately caught the word Houston. For those who don't know,
                Houston is in the state of Texas. Texas has successfully fought off
                unions by making it a "Right to Work" state. That quite literally
                means, "The right to work for less" and the state of Texas guarantees
                it. I simply call the law, "Bend over, cause here it comes".

                Unions do not drive up minimum wages. The opposition to labor unions
                fights to drive down wages below fair compensation. WalMart is an
                example. Is that how you'd rather have it?

                Republican politicians are paid for by big business. They are against
                the working class. They always have been. The whole Republican
                platform is a lie on how we'll all get something for nothing. They'll
                say, "No new taxes or better wages" because "We don't need them".

                Fuck-em. Have we forgotten how the "greatest generation ever" in the
                nineteen twenties, thirties and forties fought for improved wages,
                benefits and working conditions? How they stared down shot gun
                barrels and sometimes got their head split opened by police batons?
                How they fought for social security benefits for themselves and
                future generations like us?

                Presently, the Republican politicians insinuate that the Greatest
                Generation Ever was one of them! Nothing could be further from the
                truth. They'd hate these traitorous scoundrels.
                The GOP has people convince to join them and help dismantle
                everything the Greatest Generation fought for. What a bunch of
                gutless pansy's.

                This isn't to far off topic either. One of the things that we have
                been saying in this group is that the conservative right wouldn't
                recognize right from wrong even if they tripped over it.

                Thanks for letting me vent.

                Dan
              • Andre Artus
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 2, 2006
                  --SNIP--
                  > BRUCE CARTER:
                  > Unions also drive up the minimum wages and requirements for benefits
                  > to the point that many people who would be employable at lower wages
                  > cannot get jobs.

                  ANDRE ARTUS:
                  You have a point: not having a minimum wage and labour standards worked
                  extremely well in Victorian England, and is also working extremely well in
                  Asia. Why pay adults a living wage when you can pay children a starving one?

                  I might be wrong, but I think the families of British coal miners and
                  steelworkers are still thanking Thatcher for increasing the amount of time
                  their parents got to spend at home.

                  Andre "I've got your trickle down economy right here" Artus
                • Anne Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Mikey:

                    I think at one time, there once was, but alas, no more.  Although, if you're referring to the Democrats, there are a few here and there who may in fact be developing a spine that's firmer than that of a jellyfish.
                    Anne G

                    :
                    There is a liberal party in America? Could have fooled the rest of the
                    world.

                  • Anne Gilbert
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Joe:

                      The site appears to still be under construction.
                      Anne G

                    • Bruce Carter
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 2, 2006
                        > I think at one time, there once was, but alas, no more. Although,
                        > if you're referring to the Democrats, there are a few here and there
                        > who may in fact be developing a spine that's firmer than that of a
                        > jellyfish.

                        Its about time. All rich lawyer hypocrites who expouse ideas to help
                        the poor, but are multi-millionaires who don't contribute a dime to
                        charities themselves. That or Jesse Jackass (excuse me Jackson) who
                        claims to be a reverend and goes fooling around with women other than
                        his wife. And who talks about the virtues of public schools while he
                        and the rest of the pro-public school dems send their own kids to
                        exclusive private.

                        A true liberal in any party would be a breath of fresh air. A true
                        conservative would be as well. Hypocrisy isn't limited to one party or
                        viewpoint!
                      • stanyardroger
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 2, 2006
                          <rbrucecarter@...> wrote:

                          > > I think at one time, there once was, but alas, no more.
                          Although,
                          > > if you're referring to the Democrats, there are a few here and
                          there
                          > > who may in fact be developing a spine that's firmer than that of
                          > > jellyfish.

                          So what is it you actually believe in?

                          > Its about time. All rich lawyer hypocrites who expouse ideas to
                          help
                          > the poor, but are multi-millionaires who don't contribute a dime to
                          > charities themselves. That or Jesse Jackass (excuse me Jackson)
                          who
                          > claims to be a reverend and goes fooling around with women other
                          than
                          > his wife. And who talks about the virtues of public schools while
                          he
                          > and the rest of the pro-public school dems send their own kids to
                          > exclusive private.
                          >
                          > A true liberal in any party would be a breath of fresh air. A true
                          > conservative would be as well. Hypocrisy isn't limited to one
                          party or
                          > viewpoint!

                        • Joe Cooper
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 2, 2006

                            Sorry.  It appeared to be up when I looked at it- it certainly did not have that reconstruction message.

                            heres wikipedia

                            Joe Cooper

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 2, 2006
                              --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, Anne Gilbert <shanidar9@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Mikey:
                              >
                              > I think at one time, there once was, but alas, no more.
                              Although, if you're referring to the Democrats, there are a few here
                              and there who may in fact be developing a spine that's firmer than
                              that of a jellyfish.
                              > Anne G

                              God to hear it Anne. I've got to may American friends and colleagues
                              to believe otherwise. It's just, at times, I have reason to doubt.

                              > :
                              > There is a liberal party in America? Could have fooled the rest
                              of the
                              > world.
                              >

                              > ---------------------------------
                              > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, &
                              more on new and used cars.

                            • Dan
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 2, 2006
                                <rbrucecarter@...> wrote:

                                Hypocrisy isn't limited to one party or
                                > viewpoint!

                                ============================

                                I'll agree with that!
                                Dan
                              • Anne Gilbert

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 4, 2006
                                    wrote:

                                    > Roger:
                                    >
                                    > Well, I was born and raised right here in the good ol' US of A,
                                    and believe me, I've had plenty of reason to doubt too. It's just
                                    that I'm an eternal optimist. . . .
                                    > Anne G

                                    Thanks. Nice to hear it again. As you know I'm baffled but am trying
                                    to make some sense of it all. Sooner or later I'l try to get round to
                                    articulating the problem. It's professional as much as personal. Like
                                    you I'm an optimist.

                                    BR

                                    Roger Stanyard