Evolution in SA schools

  • leon retief
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
      Mikey :

      >SACS (South African College School - both junior and high - for overseas
      >readers)

      >All pupils at mine and other southern suburb schools were taught
      >evolution and it was in the textbook. With the advent of Model C schools
      >(and at discretion beforehand), evolution was permitted.

      I'm suprised. Our youngest daughter went to an English school in the
      Northern suburbs and evolution was not part of the curriculum then. She
      finished school in 1997, IIRC. Perhaps the southern suburb schools had more
      of the discretion you mentioned. I'm pretty sure that prior to 1994
      evolution would not have been taught in state schools.

      Best wishes

      Leon Retief
      Cape Town
      South Africa
    • Mikey Brass
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
        leon retief wrote:
        >I'm pretty sure that prior to 1994
        > evolution would not have been taught in state schools.

        I do not know whether it was officially in the Western Cape education
        dept's junior school curriculum back when I was in junior school (7
        years, for our overseas readers, is the standard length of time; mine
        was from 1984-1990). However, I do recall being taught some of the
        basics through practical examples.
      • leon retief
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
          Mikey Brass wrote :

          >I do not know whether it was officially in the Western Cape education
          >dept's junior school curriculum back when I was in junior school (7
          >years, for our overseas readers, is the standard length of time; mine
          >was from 1984-1990). However, I do recall being taught some of the
          >basics through practical examples.

          Ah, then that explains it. The religiosity of the powers that were then
          would never have allowed it to be part of an official curriculum.

          Best wishes

          Leon Retief
          Cape Town
          South Africa