BURRIED?

  • sandberg@arkwest.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 12:01 AM
      But the operative word is buried, correct? If the fossil is intact
      it was buried intact? And if it is buried entwined with other intact
      fossils they were all buried simultaneously? Or can they mix around
      after they're buried?

      Just trying to get a feel for the belief system here.

      > >What is the accepted belief about what most fossils
      > >were buried in?
      >
      > Fossils have been burried in:
      >
      > Flood deposits
      > Lava deposits
      > Loess deposits
      > Lake deposits
      > Wind blown sand
      > Desert deposits
      > River deposits
      > Landslides
      > Swamps
      >
      > And probably quite a few more than I can remember
      > right now.
      >

      > =====
      > "Learning without thought is labor lost;
      > thought without learning is perilous."
      > -Confucius
      >
      > "I dislike stupidity,
      > especially when it masquerades as virtue."
      > -The Duke, from The Man of la Mancha

      > http://im.yahoo.com
    • Mikey
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 12:58 AM
        >But the operative word is buried, correct? If the fossil is intact
        >it was buried intact? And if it is buried entwined with other intact
        >fossils they were all buried simultaneously? Or can they mix around
        >after they're buried?

        All three.

        >Just trying to get a feel for the belief system here.

        It isn't a belief system. It is geological and observational fact.

        Michael Brass
        Archaeology SocSci(Hons): University of Cape Town
        History (BA): U.C.T.
        Member: The Archaeological Society of South Africa
        Network Services Technician
        ICQ: 44563988
        ------------------------
        OWNER & AUTHOR OF: "ANCIENT EGYPT AND WORLD PREHISTORY"
        <http://users.iafrica.com/m/mi/mikeyb>
      • CJ
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 5:39 AM
          > But the operative word is buried, correct?

          No, actually the operative word is something like "sequestered". You have to
          separate the organism from the ravavages of oxygen and other, predatory
          organisms. Some of the best preservation is from dry environments: the dino
          egg fossils (whole nests found intact) in the Gobi desert, for instance. Or
          somewhat newer (about 10 million years old) look at the Ashfall Nebraska
          fossil beds. We're STILL digging them out, by the hundreds.

          http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/parks/ashfall.html

          > If the fossil is intact it was buried intact?

          Probably, if I understand what you mean by "intact".

          > And if it is buried entwined with other intact
          > fossils they were all buried simultaneously? Or can they mix around
          > after they're buried?

          Sure .. settling, packing, decomposition, soil movements ... just freeze and
          thaw cycles can disarticulate a skeleton. If it is intact, it was buried
          intact. If it is disarticulated, it may have been buried intact.

          > Just trying to get a feel for the belief system here.

          No belief system. That's how fossils form today. (Although, by definition,
          and preserved signs of life less than 10,000 years old are "subfossils".
        • lflank@ij.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 7:39 AM
            On 1 Apr 00, at 8:01, sandberg@... wrote:

            > But the operative word is buried, correct? If the fossil is intact it
            > was buried intact? And if it is buried entwined with other intact
            > fossils they were all buried simultaneously? Or can they mix around
            > after they're buried?

            <yawn> Here we go again . . . . Buried by what, my fundie friend?
            Mud? Sand? Volcanic ash? Tar?

            If you are trying to argue that all the fossils were buried,
            simultaneously, by "a flood", then you are dead wrong. Unless you
            can show me how you get extensive DESERT deposits from your
            "flood" ... ?

            As Michael says:

            > > Fossils have been burried in:
            > >
            > > Flood deposits
            > > Lava deposits
            > > Loess deposits
            > > Lake deposits
            > > Wind blown sand
            > > Desert deposits
            > > River deposits
            > > Landslides
            > > Swamps
            > >
            > > And probably quite a few more than I can remember
            > > right now.

            Note than almost none of these involve any flood. Or even water.

            Check out my reptile photos:
            http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/2421
            Creation "Science" Debunked:
            http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2437
          • Dave Oldridge
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1 10:18 AM
              > But the operative word is buried, correct? If the fossil is intact
              > it was buried intact? And if it is buried entwined with other intact
              > fossils they were all buried simultaneously? Or can they mix around
              > after they're buried?

              Depending on geological history, they may sit there or they may get eroded
              loose and reburied with other fossils. There is no simple single answer.