Re: Re: Proof of faith?

  • Brian van der Spuy
    Message 1 of 31 , May 1, 2005
      [[[From: Anne Gilbert <shanidar9@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Proof of faith?
      If you want to get a flavor of what the "furor" is about, you can
      either go to an e-mail list called MEDIEV-L(google for it if you're
      interested), or else I can send you a paper on pdf(I think), that
      will give you an idea. Personally, I agree with you about The Da
      Vinci Code. I found it mildly entertaining, and it was more of
      a "puzzle" than anything else. But believable? I don't think so.]]]

      ---Last time I checked, novelists had artistic license to play around
      with any speculative ideas they liked. But there *does* seem to be a
      new trend amongst pseudoscientists to write up their ideas as novels,
      thereby insulating themselves from criticism ("hey, it's only a
      STORY, fer cryin' out loud!"), while still reaching their target
      audience. Michael Crichton's latest effort comes to mind.

      To Brown's credit, I can't quite work out if he's one of those, or
      simply someone cleverly cashing in on society's endless infatuation
      with 'alternative science.'

      If I had the talents of a novelist, I would long ago have turned
      Graham Hancock's ideas into a novel. I'm sure there's small fortune
      to be made there.
    • Isabelle
      Message 31 of 31 , May 3, 2005
        --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, MB <mbb386@m...> wrote:

        > > You saw this same thing with the Muslim hysteria over
        > > Rushdie's 'Satanic Verses.' Most of them never even read the book
        > > (who the hell in his right mind COULD read a book like that?)
        > >

        > I did read the book and was totally puzzled why it was considered so
        > wicked.

        I must be the only one who loved it *grins*