Re: book donation status

  • Isabelle
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
      > It was posted last week. It's up to the airmail gods now.

      I wouldn't place too much faith in the toons that run Royal Mail...
      3/4 of my Xmas mail (all posted well before their deadline) arrived
      home in late January because it had been sent to BERMUDA first...
      this despite writing Malta, Europe in clear, neat capital letters.
      It's not as if Bermuda is right next door you know... *sighs*
    • Anne Gilbert
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
        Isabelle:

        Geez.  That makes the US Postal Service look positively efficient!  Can't the Royal Mail people read, write or cipher?
        Anne G

        Isabelle <tanithastarte@...> wrote:

        > It was posted last week. It's up to the airmail gods now.

        I wouldn't place too much faith in the toons that run Royal Mail...
        3/4 of my Xmas mail (all posted well before their deadline) arrived
        home in late January because it had been sent to BERMUDA first...
        this despite writing Malta, Europe in clear, neat capital letters.
        It's not as if Bermuda is right next door you know... *sighs*

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Ian Robinson
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
          On 2/3/05 2:13 am, "Anne Gilbert" <shanidar9@...> wrote:

          > Can't the
          > Royal Mail people read, write or cipher?

          Royal Mail in my experience is excellent. Much better than any of the other
          delivery services. This may just be Royal Mail (Northern Ireland).

          No complaints here.

          Ian

          --
          Ian Robinson - Belfast - UK <http://www.canicula.com>
          Soapbox - <http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html>
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
            > Royal Mail in my experience is excellent. Much better than any of
            the other
            > delivery services. This may just be Royal Mail (Northern Ireland).
            >
            > No complaints here.

            lucky you:) We have a surly Post Office in town, normally I prefer
            nipping to the little Indian grocery store (which sells everything
            and has a PO). I was told off recently for writing Europe after
            Malta, so I explained in painful detail where my previous mail had
            been sent. I guess it's a bit of a regional thing, depends who's
            running the branch in one place. OTOH, the postal service in Malta is
            the pits, three levels below... it used to be one of the best, then
            it was handed over to some New Zealand company and nobody ever saw
            mail again.
          • Ian Robinson
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
              On 2/3/05 9:00 am, "Isabelle" <tanithastarte@...> wrote:

              > We have a surly Post Office in town,

              That's different. Post Office are separately owned from the Royal Mail
              business AFIIK. Some of the staff in those do need a good slap with a big
              wet Tango hand!

              > normally I prefer
              > nipping to the little Indian grocery store (which sells everything
              > and has a PO). I was told off recently for writing Europe after
              > Malta,

              Good grief. It's your parcel you can write what you like on it.

              Ian
              --
              Ian Robinson - Belfast - UK <http://www.canicula.com>
              Soapbox - <http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html>
            • Dave Oldridge
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
                On 1 Mar 2005 at 18:13, Anne Gilbert wrote:

                > Isabelle:
                >
                > Geez. That makes the US Postal Service look positively efficient! Can't the
                > Royal Mail people read, write or cipher? Anne G
                >
                > Isabelle <tanithastarte@...> wrote:
                >

                > > It was posted last week. It's up to the airmail gods now.
                >

                > I wouldn't place too much faith in the toons that run Royal Mail...
                > 3/4 of my Xmas mail (all posted well before their deadline) arrived
                > home in late January because it had been sent to BERMUDA first...
                > this despite writing Malta, Europe in clear, neat capital letters.
                > It's not as if Bermuda is right next door you know... *sighs*

                Boy, have they ever come down in the world! I can remember when my mom wrote
                some friends in London and some weeks later received a reply from them--from
                Singapore, where they had moved!

                Dave Oldridge
                ICQ 1800667
                VA7CZ