Re: [DebunkCreation] Hapitons??

  • Ian Robinson
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 1, 2004
      On 1/2/04 2:18 am, "Karl Lembke" <karl_lembke@...> wrote:

      > And if you're a fan of Terry Pratchett,

      Oh yes.

      > you know there are people who
      > generate insufficient endogenous alcohols, and are in a state of constant
      > undersupply. This state is known as "knurd". These people are constantly
      > having to supplement their natural "endohols" with external sources of
      > ethanol in order to maintain normal function.

      This salient fact will obviously need to be catered for in Hapiton Theory!
      Remind which book this is in so I can research it again ;-)

      Ian

      --
      Ian Robinson - Belfast - UK <http://www.canicula.com>
      Soapbox - <http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html>
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2004
        > From: Ian Robinson [mailto:ian@...]

        > On 1/2/04 2:18 am, "Karl Lembke" <karl_lembke@...> wrote:
        >

        > > undersupply. This state is known as "knurd". These people
        > are constantly
        > > having to supplement their natural "endohols" with external sources of
        > > ethanol in order to maintain normal function.
        >
        > This salient fact will obviously need to be catered for in
        > Hapiton Theory!
        > Remind which book this is in so I can research it again ;-)
        >
        > Ian

        Ah, geez! I'm thinking one of the characters in "Guards, guards!" is
        chronically knurd.

        ........Karl
      • Ian Robinson
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 1, 2004
          On 1/2/04 5:24 pm, "Karl Lembke" <karl_lembke@...> wrote:

          > Ah, geez! I'm thinking one of the characters in "Guards, guards!" is
          > chronically knurd.

          No worries. The reason I asked is because It didn't ring any bells and I
          haven't read Night Watch yet. I thought it might be in there.

          Actually I've just checked my Pratchett collection and I don't have Guards,
          Guards! either. Must have lent it to somebody as I used to have it. I can
          feel and Amazon order coming on...

          Cheers,

          Ian
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
            > Thesis: happiness is carried by a fundamental particle, hereby known as the
            > hapiton. When there are lots in your vicinity you are happy. When they are
            > scarce you are sad.

            Experiment: Set-up some social situation in a room where people will
            interact and be happy. Maybe a small Debunkcreation list members party.
            Introduce music, food, Guinness, Tiger Beer and other favourite drinks.

            Let party develop.

            Open two previously covered thin slits in one wall of party room. If
            hapitons are being generated by party they should flow out through slits
            [1]. Directly opposite the slits, on the outside of the party room, line up
            approximately 20 people parallel with the wall containing the slits and at
            right angles to a line joining the wall with the line of people. The
            distance between the line of people and the wall with the slits is
            unspecified and should be varied during the course of the experiment.

            Question the 20 people in the line as to their state of happiness [2] on a
            scale of 1 (very sad) and 100 (ecstatically happy, maybe even giddy) during
            the course of the party. Vary the distance from the wall and repeat
            questioning for duration of party [3]. Perform questioning with no slits
            open and then with one slit open and then the other.

            Analyse results from questioning, after party, to see if there is any
            pattern that would suggest quantum mechanical interference as the hapitons
            pass through the slits. Was there a happy, sad, happy, sad, happy sad...
            pattern? Did the pattern disappear when only one slit was open? What about
            when both slits where closed? How did the distance from the wall effect the
            happiness of the subjects. Did any of the subjects get annoyed when you
            asked them the same bloody question over and over when they could have been
            at a party?

            Enquiring minds want to know the answer! Sensible people want to be at the
            party and not in the line outside ;-)

            Ian

            [1] Ensure that walls of room are not transparent to hapitons.
            [2] Question subjects before the start of the experiment so as to get a
            baseline happiness reading.
            [3] Ensure that sounds of merriment coming from party does not influence
            those in line. Perhaps earmuffs should be used.
            --
            Ian Robinson - Belfast - UK <http://www.canicula.com>
            Soapbox - <http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html>
          • Isabelle
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
              Right, so all we have to do is have a party:) Let's get organising:)
            • Winston C. Moran
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                You forgot to include hapiton disruptors, i.e., creationists.
                Otherwise, your design looks good to start with.

                :-)

                Winston

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                  On 2/2/04 10:07 pm, "Winston C. Moran" <BiologoLoco@...> wrote:

                  > You forgot to include hapiton disruptors, i.e., creationists.

                  I thought about using creationists for the line. But it would skew the
                  results. Creationists can't really be happy. Can they?

                  > Otherwise, your design looks good to start with.

                  Peer review and improvements welcome. Maybe we should write this up and
                  submit it for the New Scientist Christmas issue in 2004 :-)

                  Or the Annals of improbable research.

                  I should be doing real work you know. But sod it.

                  Ian
                  --
                  Ian Robinson - Belfast - UK <http://www.canicula.com>
                  Soapbox - <http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html>
                • Eoghan
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                    I seem to recall a quote from some physicist or other about particle research - it went something along the lines of "The question is not whether it sounds crazy, but whether it sounds crazy ENOUGH".

                    Hapitons sound just crazy enough (especially with the addition of the creationist antiparticles :-) ) to be plausible - maybe you *should* write it up lol!
                    Eoghan