Re: Re: O/T Music concert playing online now

  • Brian van der Spuy
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 1, 2003
      [[[[ From: "Anne Gilbert" <kebara@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: O/T Music concert playing online now
      Isabelle, Mike, or anybody else with the proper knowledge:
      What on earth prompts this "minister of health" to flap his lips with
      such a pronouncement?]]]

      ---Who knows? She is actually a qualified medical doctor. But she
      fell in with the wrong crowd, namely HIV deniers, and apparently
      believes whatever they say. I suppose accepting that HIV really does
      cause AIDS is a somewhat tragic thing to realize. HUGE numbers of
      South Africans are HIV positive. Without proper treatment, every last
      one of them is going to die within a decade or so. Imagine the kind
      of load that is going to put on our already overstretched medical and
      social services. In the face of this, I suppose the temptation to
      rather believe something else is huge. One can easily convince
      oneself of that which one WANTS to believe!
    • Dave Oldridge
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 8, 2003
        On 8 Dec 2003 at 9:22, Mikey Brass wrote:

        > >I'll dissent. Gandhi would be my choice. Of course popularity
        > contests like
        > >this are pointless but if we are going to have one...
        >

        > SA holds Gandhi very dear to its heart; he lived there for many
        > years and SA was his "second home" :-)

        And he has been an inspiration to many who came after him,
        including Martin Luther King.