Re: [DebunkCreation] Peer review

  • Mikey Brass
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
      > > 1. Are all published materials peer reviewed by independant parties?
      >
      >Journals like NATURE and SCIENCE are peer-review journals.

      Each journal has a number of independent scholars who act as referees
      reviewing papers within their respective disciplines.

      > > 3. Has anyone ever had a document rejected by a fellow colleague?

      Yes, back in 1998 and 1999 for the same paper, but thankfully they were
      because the paper has been substantially revised and updated and will be
      published shortly.
    • Susan Cogan
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2003
        "Evolutionary Theory Under Fire", An Historic conference in
        Chicago challenges the four-decade long dominance of the Modern
        Synthesis, Roger Lewin, SCIENCE Vol. 210, 21 November, 1980,

        This is the source of one of Appleton's out of context quotes. I did
        a search on it and found about 40 creationist websites. Does anyone
        have a copy of this entire paper?

        Thanks!

        Susan
        --
        ---------
        Please check out my recently published historical novel "Jubilee."

        "JUBILEE is an excellent read, brilliantly written and historically
        illuminating."
        --Brett Scott, reviewing for The Romance Studio.

        ". . . action packed, suspenseful and romantic."
        --Dawn Myers, reviewing for Writers Unlimited
      • Susan Cogan
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2003
          never mind, I found it here: http://www.theistic-evolution.com/lewin.html

          Susan

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2003
            In a 2-for-1 deal Laurie is quoting Behe out of context quoting Klaus
            Dose out of context.

            > (Darwin' Black Box, Michael J. Behe, 1996, p. 168,(2) quoting
            > Klaus Dose, (1988) "The Origin of Life: More Questions than
            > Answers," Interdisciplinary Science Reviews, 13, 348)

            I'm trying to track down the Dose quote (who cares what Behe thinks).
            Dose is a South African biochemist. Doing a Google search on the
            above reference gets you about 100 creationist websites exactly
            quoting Behe and not a single syllable from Dose himself. I have a
            feeling that is because he doesn't write in English. Does anybody
            know of a context for this turkey?

            Susan
            --
            ---------

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2003
              >In a 2-for-1 deal Laurie is quoting Behe out of context quoting Klaus
              >Dose out of context.

              Correction: Laurie is quoting the Revised Quote Book quoting Behe...

              > > (Darwin' Black Box, Michael J. Behe, 1996, p. 168,(2) quoting
              > > Klaus Dose, (1988) "The Origin of Life: More Questions than
              > > Answers," Interdisciplinary Science Reviews, 13, 348)
              >
              >I'm trying to track down the Dose quote (who cares what Behe thinks).
              >Dose is a South African biochemist. Doing a Google search on the
              >above reference gets you about 100 creationist websites exactly
              >quoting Behe and not a single syllable from Dose himself. I have a
              >feeling that is because he doesn't write in English.

              He'd either be German or Afrikaans but the above paper would be in English.
            • Susan Cogan
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2003
                > >In a 2-for-1 deal Laurie is quoting Behe out of context quoting Klaus
                >>Dose out of context.
                >
                >Correction: Laurie is quoting the Revised Quote Book quoting Behe...
                >
                >> > (Darwin' Black Box, Michael J. Behe, 1996, p. 168,(2) quoting
                >> > Klaus Dose, (1988) "The Origin of Life: More Questions than
                >> > Answers," Interdisciplinary Science Reviews, 13, 348)
                >>
                >>I'm trying to track down the Dose quote (who cares what Behe thinks).
                >>Dose is a South African biochemist. Doing a Google search on the
                >>above reference gets you about 100 creationist websites exactly
                >>quoting Behe and not a single syllable from Dose himself. I have a
                >>feeling that is because he doesn't write in English.
                >
                >He'd either be German or Afrikaans but the above paper would be in English.

                I was hoping to find a copy of it on some debunking website, but no
                dice so far.

                Susan
                --
                ---------
                Please check out my recently published historical novel "Jubilee."
                http://members.cox.net/sbcogan/writing.html

                "JUBILEE is an excellent read, brilliantly written and historically
                illuminating."
                --Brett Scott, reviewing for The Romance Studio.

                ". . . action packed, suspenseful and romantic."
                --Dawn Myers, reviewing for Writers Unlimited
              • Ray T. Perreault
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 6, 2003
                  Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:10:34 -0400
                  From: lflank@...
                  Subject: Re: Peer review

                  On 23 Sep 2003 at 18:35, matrixdestiny1@... wrote:

                  > Hello.
                  >
                  > I am now a member of three discussion groups which are enriched with
                  > knowledgable participants (including scientists).
                  > I am interested in how the peer review process is implemented for the
                  > evolutionary sciences.

                  The same way they are for any other science. <shrug>

                  Here are some of my questions:

                  > 1. Are all published materials peer reviewed by independant parties?

                  They are if they are published in peer-reviewed science journals.

                  > 2. Using a general estimate, what percentage of your published
                  > documents are peer reviewed?

                  All of those that are published in peer-reviewed science journals.

                  > 3. Has anyone ever had a document rejected by a fellow colleague?

                  More documents get rejected than get accepted. MANY more.

                  > 4. Have you ever rejected another colleagues document in a peer
                  > review?

                  As noted, more submissions get rejected than get accepted.

                  Why don't you ask these same questions of all those creation
                  "scientists" . . . . . . .

                  \Well, now the Institute of Creative Rubbish is setting up their own
                  peer-review board, probably to insure doctrinal 'correctness.'

                  Ray

                  Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                • viewtube
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 25, 2006
                    THE RED RAIN PHENOMENON OF KERALA AND ITS POSSIBLE
                    EXTRATERRESTRIAL ORIGIN Godfrey Louis and A. Santhosh Kumar
                    Astrophysics and Space Science 1 January, 2006

                    "These particles have much similarity with biological cells though they
                    are devoid of DNA. Are these cell like particles a kind of alternate
                    life from space? If the red rain particles are biological cells and are
                    of cometary origin, then this phenomena can be a case of cometary
                    panspermia"

                    If space aliens can make peer review why can't ID papers?
                    http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0601022

                    Bruce Thompson
                    It's all neuro rehab to me