RE: re: Marriage and Population Explosion

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2000
      Michael Suttkus:

      >Neandertals were the same species as us, so that's not
      >any great surprise.

      Homo sapiens. Homo neanderthalensis. Same genus. Different species.

      Andy
    • Michael Suttkus
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2000
        Cardigan <cardigan@...> wrote:

        >From: Michael Suttkus <suttkus@...>
        >>Me, I think that extended families are much better,
        >>or that even a polygamist family would have
        >>advantages (I'm going to hear it for that one!).

        >Only loud yells of agreement!
        >Not the brand of polygamy practiced by the Mormons
        >and other sexist groups, however.

        Actually, I'm not sure what the problem is there. I
        mean, sure they don't let women have more than one
        husband, but can you imagine any woman really wanting
        more than one man around the house? The general
        consensus amongst the women I know is that having one
        man is already annoying enough.

        :-)

        Of course the question of whether it would be moral or
        not is completely separate from the question of
        whether it would have advantages.

        Real shame about that.

        =====
        "Learning without thought is labor lost;
        thought without learning is perilous."
        -Confucius
        http://messenger.yahoo.com
      • Michael Suttkus
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2000
          Andy <andyj@...> wrote:

          >Michael Suttkus:

          >>Neandertals were the same species as us, so that's
          >>not any great surprise.

          >Homo sapiens. Homo neanderthalensis. Same genus.
          >Different species.

          While I'm never up to date on anthropology, the last
          time I checked it was Homo sapiens sapiens vs. Homo
          sapiens neanderthalensis, two subspecies of the same
          species, but there was debate.

          =====
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2000
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2000
              On 2 Jan 00, at 10:06, Andy wrote:

              > I seem to remember about a year ago a brief news flash
              > to the effect that someone had discovered evidence that
              > the two interbred and that we carry neandertal genes to this
              > day (as some anthropologists had posited for years).

              Nope---in fact some genetic evidence was found showing
              Neandertals to be a separate species, H. neandertalensis.

              Check out my reptile photos:
              http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/2421
              Creation "Science" Debunked:
              http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2437
            • spencer james
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2000
                > I seem to remember about a year ago a brief news flash
                > to the effect that someone had discovered evidence that
                > the two interbred and that we carry neandertal genes to this
                > day (as some anthropologists had posited for years).

                (Lenny)Nope---in fact some genetic evidence was found showing
                Neandertals to be a separate species, H. neandertalensis.

                Lenny Flank

                ---------SPENCER----I recall reading that there is a group of tribal people
                in one of the Central Asia Republics that have been thought to have
                possibly Neandertal genes.
                -----Also, several years ago, there was a popular novel, and i forget the
                name, something like "The Flesh Eaters" or whatever. It was based upon a
                diary of a middle ages Muslim who had traveled up and stayed with the
                Vikings. He describes raids by and upon a group of people who are described
                as being very different. Some had speculated that such may have been some
                surviving Neandertals or perhaps some surviving clan with some Neandertal
                genes.
                -----However, it is my understanding that it is believed that there were no
                survivors of a male Neandertal ---female Sapiens cross because of
                impossibility of delivering the oversized fetal head through the Sapien
                birth canal. Also, I understand that although feasible the survivors of a
                male Sapiens and female Neandertal are thought to be very rare. In summary,
                as I understanding the situation, it is thought that the cross breeding of
                the two groups was very rare considering that they both lived in the same
                areas for thousands of years.

                Respectfully submitted,

                Spencer James

                FREE! The World's Best Email Address @...
              • James L. Hartley
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2000
                  Um, "Eaters of the Dead", a fiction novel by Michael Crichton in turn based
                  on the old legend Beowulf, with the interesting plot turn of adding
                  Neanderthal-type creatures. Good book, totally fiction though.

                  > I seem to remember about a year ago a brief news flash
                  > to the effect that someone had discovered evidence that
                  > the two interbred and that we carry neandertal genes to this
                  > day (as some anthropologists had posited for years).

                  (Lenny)Nope---in fact some genetic evidence was found showing
                  Neandertals to be a separate species, H. neandertalensis.

                  Lenny Flank

                  ---------SPENCER----I recall reading that there is a group of tribal people
                  in one of the Central Asia Republics that have been thought to have
                  possibly Neandertal genes.
                  -----Also, several years ago, there was a popular novel, and i forget the
                  name, something like "The Flesh Eaters" or whatever. It was based upon a
                  diary of a middle ages Muslim who had traveled up and stayed with the
                  Vikings. He describes raids by and upon a group of people who are
                  described
                  as being very different. Some had speculated that such may have been some
                  surviving Neandertals or perhaps some surviving clan with some Neandertal
                  genes.
                  -----However, it is my understanding that it is believed that there were no
                  survivors of a male Neandertal ---female Sapiens cross because of
                  impossibility of delivering the oversized fetal head through the Sapien
                  birth canal. Also, I understand that although feasible the survivors of a
                  male Sapiens and female Neandertal are thought to be very rare. In
                  summary,
                  as I understanding the situation, it is thought that the cross breeding of
                  the two groups was very rare considering that they both lived in the same
                  areas for thousands of years.

                  Respectfully submitted,

                  Spencer James

                  FREE! The World's Best Email Address @...
                • Elissa Feit
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2000
                    lflank@... wrote:

                    > From: lflank@...
                    >
                    > On 2 Jan 00, at 10:06, Andy wrote:
                    >
                    > > I seem to remember about a year ago a brief news flash
                    > > to the effect that someone had discovered evidence that
                    > > the two interbred and that we carry neandertal genes to this
                    > > day (as some anthropologists had posited for years).
                    >
                    > Nope---in fact some genetic evidence was found showing
                    > Neandertals to be a separate species, H. neandertalensis.

                    Some recent fossil findings in the Iberian penninsula of
                    humans with both h.sapiens and neanderthal characteristics
                    from around 25,000 years ago, which is a couple of thousand
                    years after the neaderthals died out.

                    Heheh. I saw it on some TV show, and my 5th search engine
                    finally brought this up:

                    http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/skeleton990416.html

                    - elissa@...