Re: instinctual habits

  • Dave Gaban
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
      Jeff Ratto wrote:

      > From: "Jeff Ratto" <jeff123abc@...>
      >
      > >ABH and GBH,
      >
      > Huh?
      > -Jeff-

      ABH = Assault to commit Bodily Harm

      GBH = Great Bodily Harm

      Don't you watch COPS on TV?

      Dave
    • Dave Gaban
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
        Mags wrote:

        > From: "Mags" <mags@...>
        >
        > > Ok, let me see if I have this straight. DNA coding contains genetic
        > > information that
        > > produces an area or areas of the brain that contain instictual behavior,
        > > but the "behavior" is not, in and of itself, part of the protein
        > > sequence of DNA. Is that it?
        >
        > In my knowledge that's pretty much spot on. An interesting example of how
        > such a thing could happen is this. Although most of it is just spoeculation,
        > I don't think that it's entirley unfounded.
        >
        > I read in New Scientist not too long ago that behavioural phychiatrists had
        > found an area of the brain that, when damaged effectivly reduces that
        > persons "moral reasoning" capabilities to nil. They found that an
        > inordinantly high proportion of convicts in a certain selection of homes had
        > sustaned damage to this area from a young age. I remember one of the blokes
        > apparently had a spike through his head or something equally silly. He then
        > went on to commit several instances of ABH and GBH, along with armed robbery
        > and the like, apparently having a much diminished ability to apply morals
        > and not beat people up, when before he was just your average joe.

        Aw come on, the fundies know damned well the injury to the brain allows
        demons in
        to commit these evil acts. You don't just loose your morals over a
        little damage to
        the brain or change of brain chemistry. Funny how psyc meds make those
        demons go
        away though ;-)

        Dave
      • Ben Murton
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
          > From: Dave Gaban <drrod@...>
          >

          > Jeff Ratto wrote:
          > > > From: "Jeff Ratto" <jeff123abc@...>
          > > > Huh?
          > > -Jeff-
          > ABH = Assault to commit Bodily Harm
          >

          > GBH = Great Bodily Harm
          >

          > Don't you watch COPS on TV?
          >

          > Dave

          Actually, I hate to be a killjoy but for the sake of accuracy its:

          ABH: Actual Bodily Harm
          GBH: Grievous Bodily Harm

          :)

          Ben

          > ----------------------------
          >

          > The Mental Health Practitioner's Instant Resource Library for $5.99!
          > This concise 4-book set is a time-saving aid for basic
          > clinical tasks. (a
          > $139.35 value) Order NOW at Behavioral Science Book Service.

          > ----------

        • Dave Gaban
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
            Ben Murton wrote:

            > From: Ben Murton <benm@...>
            >
            > > From: Dave Gaban <drrod@...>

            > > > -Jeff-
            > > ABH = Assault to commit Bodily Harm
            > >

            > > GBH = Great Bodily Harm
            > >

            > > Don't you watch COPS on TV?
            > >

            > > Dave
            > >

            > Actually, I hate to be a killjoy but for the sake of accuracy its:
            >
            > ABH: Actual Bodily Harm
            > GBH: Grievous Bodily Harm
            >
            > :)
            >
            > Ben

            Depends on which police dept they are riding with. Like DUI and DWI are
            both used for drunk driving, or DUI (driving under the influence) vs DWI
            (driving while intoxicated).

            :-)

            Dave
          • Ben Murton
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
              Yup, fair point, Dave ;~)

              I guess its just another one to add to the growing list. (faucett / tap, sidewalk / pavement, trunk / boot, hood / bonnet etc etc)

            • Mags
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
                > Actually, I hate to be a killjoy but for the sake of accuracy its:
                >
                > ABH: Actual Bodily Harm
                > GBH: Grievous Bodily Harm
                >

                > Ben

                Yeh, sorry bout that, but I thaught they were legal terms in the UK....
                That's how I was using them. Sorry for any confusion ;o)