Apes and Humans

  • lgraham74
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi All,

      I just found something in Martin Gardner's "Fads & Fallacies" book
      that I thought you might find as strange and interesting as I did.
      How many times have we seen creationist A calling a particular
      fossil "clearly human" while creationist B calls it "clearly an
      ape"? Well, here's a twist. Check this out...

      --BEGIN QUOTE--

      He [George McCready Price] thinks the Negro and Mongoloid races are
      degenerate types produced by amalgamation of the pure races God
      created at the Tower of Babel. Modern apes, however, are probably
      hybrid men. Here are Price's words on this matter:

      There are no clear and positive evidences from paleontology which
      would prove that the existing anthropoid apes existed before the
      great world cataclysm, or the Deluge. These present-day anthropoid
      apes may be just as much a product of modern conditions as are the
      Negroid or the Mongolian types of mankind. And if I were compelled
      to choose between saying that the apes are degenerate or
      hybridized men and that man is a developed ape, I am sure it would
      not take me very long to decide which it would be. Nor do I think
      it ought to take any well-informed scientist long to make the
      choice

      The notion that higher apes are not animals at all, but either
      primitive or retrograde humans, has been held by a number of post-
      Renaissance naturalists, from the Scottish anthropologist, Lord
      Monboddo, to the American writer of popular books on animals, Ivan
      T. Sanderson. Monboddo thought the orang-outang belonged to the
      human species -- a thought which inspired the character of Sir Oran
      Haut-ton in Peacock's novel, Melincourt. Sanderson has similar views
      about gorillas. "Seeing these creatures in life, listening to their
      calls and talk... I can only regard them as a retrograde form of
      human... life," he writes in his book Animal Treasure, 1937.

      --END QUOTE--

      Is that wild or what?
      -Lee
    • lgraham74
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
        Oops! Only the middle paragraph is from Price (from "There are
        no..." to "...make the choice"). The rest is Gardner.
        -Lee
      • schubidoo
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
          --- In DebunkCreation@y..., "lgraham74" <lgraham@c...> wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I just found something in Martin Gardner's "Fads & Fallacies" book
          > that I thought you might find as strange and interesting as I did.
          > How many times have we seen creationist A calling a particular
          > fossil "clearly human" while creationist B calls it "clearly an
          > ape"? Well, here's a twist. Check this out...
          >
          > --BEGIN QUOTE--
          >
          > He [George McCready Price] thinks the Negro and Mongoloid races are
          > degenerate types produced by amalgamation of the pure races God
          > created at the Tower of Babel. Modern apes, however, are probably
          > hybrid men. Here are Price's words on this matter:
          >
          > There are no clear and positive evidences from paleontology which
          > would prove that the existing anthropoid apes existed before the
          > great world cataclysm, or the Deluge. These present-day anthropoid
          > apes may be just as much a product of modern conditions as are the
          > Negroid or the Mongolian types of mankind. And if I were compelled
          > to choose between saying that the apes are degenerate or
          > hybridized men and that man is a developed ape, I am sure it would
          > not take me very long to decide which it would be. Nor do I think
          > it ought to take any well-informed scientist long to make the
          > choice
          >
          > The notion that higher apes are not animals at all, but either
          > primitive or retrograde humans, has been held by a number of post-
          > Renaissance naturalists, from the Scottish anthropologist, Lord
          > Monboddo, to the American writer of popular books on animals, Ivan
          > T. Sanderson. Monboddo thought the orang-outang belonged to the
          > human species -- a thought which inspired the character of Sir Oran
          > Haut-ton in Peacock's novel, Melincourt. Sanderson has similar views
          > about gorillas. "Seeing these creatures in life, listening to their
          > calls and talk... I can only regard them as a retrograde form of
          > human... life," he writes in his book Animal Treasure, 1937.
          >
          > --END QUOTE--
          >
          > Is that wild or what?
          > -Lee

          This an argument from personal incredulity and personal credulity all
          at the same time! ;-)
          shubi
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
            > He [George McCready Price] thinks the Negro and Mongoloid races are
            > degenerate types produced by amalgamation of the pure races God
            > created at the Tower of Babel.

            The Ku Klux Klan and followers of the Christian Identity religion
            (such as Aryan Nations) think the same thing.

            Suncoast Serpentarium
            http://www.suncoastserpentarium.org
            Creation "Science" Debunked
            http://www.geocities.com/lflank
          • ANNE V. GILBERT
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
              Lee:

              IN the earlier part of the 19th century, many people believed that the
              various "races" of human were all created separately, and that their closest
              relatives were various types of ape. This was called polygenism, but it
              fell out of favor and the theory that we are all descended from a common
              ancestor, but the "lesser races"(e.g. nonwhites), degenerated.
              Anne G

              > I just found something in Martin Gardner's "Fads & Fallacies" book
              > that I thought you might find as strange and interesting as I did.
              > How many times have we seen creationist A calling a particular
              > fossil "clearly human" while creationist B calls it "clearly an
              > ape"? Well, here's a twist. Check this out...
              >
              > --BEGIN QUOTE--
              >
              > He [George McCready Price] thinks the Negro and Mongoloid races are
              > degenerate types produced by amalgamation of the pure races God
              > created at the Tower of Babel. Modern apes, however, are probably
              > hybrid men. Here are Price's words on this matter:
              >
              > There are no clear and positive evidences from paleontology which
              > would prove that the existing anthropoid apes existed before the
              > great world cataclysm, or the Deluge. These present-day anthropoid
              > apes may be just as much a product of modern conditions as are the
              > Negroid or the Mongolian types of mankind. And if I were compelled
              > to choose between saying that the apes are degenerate or
              > hybridized men and that man is a developed ape, I am sure it would
              > not take me very long to decide which it would be. Nor do I think
              > it ought to take any well-informed scientist long to make the
              > choice
              >
              > The notion that higher apes are not animals at all, but either
              > primitive or retrograde humans, has been held by a number of post-
              > Renaissance naturalists, from the Scottish anthropologist, Lord
              > Monboddo, to the American writer of popular books on animals, Ivan
              > T. Sanderson. Monboddo thought the orang-outang belonged to the
              > human species -- a thought which inspired the character of Sir Oran
              > Haut-ton in Peacock's novel, Melincourt. Sanderson has similar views
              > about gorillas. "Seeing these creatures in life, listening to their
              > calls and talk... I can only regard them as a retrograde form of
              > human... life," he writes in his book Animal Treasure, 1937.
              >
              > --END QUOTE--
              >
              > Is that wild or what?
              > -Lee

              ---