Re: Bird Questions

  • Michael Suttkus
    Message 1 of 37 , Oct 1, 2001
      "ANNE V. GILBERT" <avgilbert@...> wrote:

      > FWIW, animals that mate for life will mate for the life of the
      > partner. That is, if one of them dies, they will look for another
      > mate the following season. At least that's my understanding.

      There are numerous animals that do mate for life and won't mate again.
      For example, anglerfish (where the male actually merges with the female
      and they become the same organism). Also, numerous arthropods are set
      up to mate only once. Some male mites actually break off their
      genitals and leave them blocking the female so that neither of them can
      mate again.

      Some vertebrates have life cycled timed so that they can mate only
      once, and then die, but I don't know of any vertebrate that normally
      mates multiple times that stops when a mate-for-life dies, which is
      what was meant, of course.

      =====
      "[Once,] years of study in musty classrooms were
      prerequisite to obtaining even a dim, incoherent knowledge
      of science. Today all this has changed: a dim, incoherent
      knowledge of science is available to anyone."
      - Tom Weller, "Science made stupid"

      http://www.geocities.com/suttkus/

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • Morgan Grey
      Message 37 of 37 , Oct 8, 2001
        --- "Michael E. Suttkus, II" <suttkus@...>
        wrote:
        (snip)
        > Adam also had microscopic vision so he could name
        > all of the really tiny animals.

        "No way! All members of the bug kind were super-big as
        well. Gen 6:4, remember?"

        =====
        Morgan

        "Evolution is to the social sciences as statues are to
        birds: a convenient platform upon which to deposit badly
        digested ideas." (Steve Jones, 2000, "Darwin's Ghost", pp.
        xxvii)

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1