Re: [DebunkCreation] Digest Number 1195

  • Jim Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      > Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:06:18 -0000
      > From: bessler01@...
      > Subject: un constitutional creationism
      >
      > I appriciate that there are laws in civilised countries that ensure
      > religious equality, fair eneugh. But hang on a minuit in the states
      > you have a minority group of religious litteralistic fundamentalists
      > who want to introduce creation into the SCIENCE!!!! class room!! as a
      > scientific concept. So despight the fact that it has nothing going
      > for it in the way of actual evidence that any thing it preaches is
      > true, and it would introduce religious intollerance and
      > descrimination (shock horror-but true) to the young minds. Why is it
      > still taught? That seems a little un-constitutional to me?
      > In Europe creationism is taught as a parrable in the religious
      > studies room along with concepts from the other majour religious
      > belies, it doesn't go any way near the science class room.
      > So much for the land of equality!

      Jim:
      While I'm sure creationism is taught in "science" classes in *some*
      public schools, the teachers who do this are breaking the law.
      When they are caught, they are punished, and frequently they lose
      their jobs--and rightly so!

      Creationists have gone to court and lied under oath, repeatedly,
      claiming that "creation science" really is science, when they know
      for a fact that it isn't. In every single case where they have
      done this, they have lost; all of our courts have ruled against
      them. Teaching creationism in the public schools of the United
      States is ILLEGAL.

      So the creationists are trying something different. They are
      getting themselves elected to county and state school boards
      and, once elected, they vote to lower and dilute the teaching
      standards for the science curriculum. If they can't have their
      lies taught in science classes, apparently they at least want
      to make sure that the truth isn't taught, either.

      It's a pity, IMO, that some microbiologist can't do some genetic
      work on the Ebola zaire virus, to make it attack only this sort
      of person--this would work so very well to improve both the human
      gene pool and the environment....

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Jim Taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
        > Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:51:41 -0700
        > From: "ANNE V. GILBERT" <avgilbert@...>
        > Subject: Re: Digest Number 1190
        >
        > Jim:
        > :
        > > Bethany and Harvest House are "low-end" Christian publishing houses,
        > > specializing in the books you find in "inspirational" racks in
        > > supermarkets, K-Mart, Target, etc. These are also carried by many
        > > Christian bookstores, but are regarded as light reading by most
        > > folks who haunt the Christian bookstores.
        >
        > Yes, I suppose that's true. Bethany and Harvest House *do* publish a
        > lot of "romantic inspirational" and "historical inspirational" fiction
        > that looks pretty awful to me.

        Jim:
        Only because it is!

        > But libraries still stock many of these books. Why, I don't know.
        > I guess people check them out.

        Jim:
        It's really astounding that people so stupid they would read those
        books managed to learn how to read at all, isn't it?

        <Snip>

        > > The Navigators, headquartered at Glen Eyrie, only a few miles from
        > > my home, have recently built a huge new office complex out of pure
        > > profit, and they are one of the few companies in Colorado Springs
        > > who can afford a cutting-edge client-server network, with in-house
        > > mainframes for the servers on their network, instead of the more
        > > usual peer-to-peer networks. Their workstations cost roughly
        > > $10k each, and are replaced every 2-3 years, and their computerized
        > > printing setup is incredible. My guess is that they could buy
        > > HarperCollins out of petty cash.
        >
        > Wow! What sort of "Christian" material *does* Navigators publish?

        Jim:
        Mostly Bible-related material, from what I see; their big items
        are "scripture teaching" courses--you know, study the Bible in
        your own home, so you, too, can use your Bible as a blunt instrument
        to beat up on people who never harmed you; that sort of thing.

        > > Jim:
        > > My guess is they still avoid the public libraries and hang out at
        > > the Christian bookstores--for the same reason that they only visit
        > > "Christian" websites: they are concerned that exposure to the
        > > "wrong" materials will seriously endanger their immortal souls.
        >
        > Poor souls! They sound so --- inbred!

        Jim:
        Yup--just one more horrible example of what happens when the
        family tree doesn't branch!

        > > Pinky-swear--I saw this with my own eyes, or I wouldn't have
        > > believed it myself.
        >
        > Well, I've seen some pretty strange things but. . . . .
        > Anne G

        Jim:
        I'm glad you missed that one! The Friendship Heights library
        was a complete disaster!

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • ANNE V. GILBERT
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
          > Jim:

          > Only because it is!

          OTOH, as a writer, I know there is a huge and burgeoning market for
          "Christian fiction" of the type that Bethany and Harvest House(and some
          others of similar ilk whose names I can't think of at the moment). And
          there are actually authors who write this sort of stuff. I couldn't. But
          then, I'm not a believer in that sort of Christianity.
          :
          > It's really astounding that people so stupid they would read those
          > books managed to learn how to read at all, isn't it?

          IN the place I work, they some of this "inspirational" fiction, and one or
          two people have actually bought it. And they claim they like it. Ugh. I
          guess there's no accounting for taste.
          :
          > Mostly Bible-related material, from what I see; their big items
          > are "scripture teaching" courses--you know, study the Bible in
          > your own home, so you, too, can use your Bible as a blunt instrument
          > to beat up on people who never harmed you; that sort of thing.

          I think a lot of that stuff goes to the innumerable Christian bookstores
          that exist.

          > I'm glad you missed that one! The Friendship Heights library
          > was a complete disaster!

          Makes me glad I grew up in Seattle. They even had a decent public library
          in Austin, Texas, where I spent a couple of years. Friendship Heights
          sounds really "out there" --- at least when you were growing up.
          Anne G