Re: [DebunkCreation] Missing mamba might have been stolen

  • Joe Cooper
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 23, 2013
      I suppose you made them an offer they couldnt refuse

      Catnip

      From: Joe Cooper <joe0727@...

      > Tell me, is there a reward for turning in the guilty party?

      Uh-oh, Mike---your cats are in trouble now . . . .

      Don't worry... They'll never talk  :-)

      Mike Torsberg

      --
      Joe Cooper
    • Mike Torsberg
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
          "Why else would they even think of playing with a black mamba...."

          Proof positive of guilt right in the e-mail.

          An out and out proof of manslaughter, without malice aforethought

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
            This all reminds me of the time (and by all solar marks the only time) that we had an exhibition with living snakes –most of them venomous- at the NHM in Oslo. I and a friend and colleague had the jobs as explainers/keepers/security guards (with standing orders of killing any snake that got loose (the cages looked very nice, but the design was really incredibly bad)).
            [Lenny & Mike T.: This is the same hall where you saw the real Ida fossil.]

            I don’t know how many times a visitor asked me “where is the black mamba?”, and every time I answered “we don’t have one”. The visitor would then ask why, and I would explain about the speed of the snake, and it being demonstrably able to kill 10-15 grown up men at a time, and it having a low threshold for attack being the best defence. I would then point out the layout of the room (a disaster with a loose and scared mamba), and mention that I if we had a mamba I would not only carry a snakehook, I would have a shotgun. Invariably the visitor agreed.

            >I suppose you made them an offer they couldnt refuse

            >Catnip

            .  Plus, 7 month old cats are crazy enough without the catnip... Why else would they even think of playing with a black mamba....

            Mike Torsberg
            __._,_.

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013

              From: Torfinn Ørmen <torf-o@...>

              > This all reminds me of the time (and by all solar marks the only time) that we had an exhibition with living snakes –most of them venomous- at the NHM in Oslo. I and a friend and colleague had the jobs as explainers/keepers/security guards (with standing orders of killing any snake that got loose (the cages looked very nice, but the design was really incredibly bad)).
              [Lenny & Mike T.: This is the same hall where you saw the real Ida fossil.]

              Yep, I wouldn't want to be in that cramped little room with a loose pissed-off mamba.  ;)

              I've played with some viperids in my day, but elapids I try to stay away from. Too damn runny for my taste.  At least rattlers tend to stay pretty much wherever you put them. The only cobra I ever played with was surgically devenomed, and I was glad--the damn thing wouldn't sit still for ten seconds.  Geez.

              "In the end, reality always wins"

              Editor, Red and Black Publishers
              http://www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

            • David Windhorst
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013

                From: Torfinn Ørmen <torf-o@...>

                > This all reminds me of the time (and by all solar marks the only time) that we had an exhibition with living snakes –most of them venomous- at the NHM in Oslo. I and a friend and colleague had the jobs as explainers/keepers/security guards (with standing orders of killing any snake that got loose (the cages looked very nice, but the design was really incredibly bad)).
                [Lenny & Mike T.: This is the same hall where you saw the real Ida fossil.]

                Yep, I wouldn't want to be in that cramped little room with a loose pissed-off mamba.  ;)

                I've played with some viperids in my day, but elapids I try to stay away from. Too damn runny for my taste.  At least rattlers tend to stay pretty much wherever you put them. The only cobra I ever played with was surgically devenomed, and I was glad--the damn thing wouldn't sit still for ten seconds.  Geez.

                Ever happen across a coral snake down there in the SErn wilds?

                (btw, Missing Mamba is a good name for a band)

                dw
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013

                  From: David Windhorst <dbwindhorst@...>

                  > Ever happen across a coral snake down there in the SErn wilds?

                  Just twice.  Both times it was after a very heavy rain, and I found the snake wandering at the edge of a large puddle where it had apparently been flooded out.  (I've found a dozen or so glass lizards under similar circumstances.)

                  They're gorgeous snakes and are actually, unlike most elapids, pretty mellow and easy-going.

                  "In the end, reality always wins"

                  Editor, Red and Black Publishers
                  http://www.RedandBlackPublishers.com
                • Jack Kilmon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
                    JACK] Actually, I did once get a shipment of green mambas (along with gaboon vipers, rhino vipers, puff adders, black forest cobras, spitting cobras and sawscale vipers) from Africa.  Often it is important to hydrate snakes since they can get dehydrated in shipping. I put four green mambas in a few inches of water in a large plastic trash can with a clip on lid (as was my habit with heavy bodies vipers).  Later, a couple of my assistants who worked in the snake room wanted to see the mambas. They were familiar with our blacks and Jamesons but had not yet seen greens. The snake room contained racks and racks of hundreds of cages of every species one could think of (except snow snakes) and when I took the lid off the can by its handle....no mambas.  The snakes were coiled tightly in the underside of the lid which I now held up and green flashes went everywhere like verdant coiled springs.   Everyone in the lab that came to see these beautiful snakes suddenly disappeared in a mist.  There being six barriers between the snakeroom, with its two door entrance, there was no fear of escape from the snake room but they had to be found among the cages of 3,000 other snakes. I was the boss and I opened the can so I had to catch them. It was better than my usual morning coffee for waking me up.

                    Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 6:45 PM

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013

                      From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...>

                      > when I took the lid off the can by its handle....no mambas.  The snakes were coiled tightly in the underside of the lid which I now held up and green flashes went everywhere like verdant coiled springs.   Everyone in the lab that came to see these beautiful snakes suddenly disappeared in a mist.

                      That is why I always always always used clear plastic bins to put the snakes in. Viperids don't usually climb around, but I always wanted to know anyway where the sharp end was.  ;)

                      PS--I had a similar situation once when a large bull snake escaped in my apartment.  After hours of searching every conceivable spot, I finally found him in the bathroom, inside the toilet bowl, curled up around the underside of the rim.  How he got there, I will never know.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013

                        Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 3:15 PM

                        From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...>

                        > when I took the lid off the can by its handle....no mambas.  The snakes were coiled tightly in the underside of the lid which I now held up and green flashes went everywhere like verdant coiled springs.   Everyone in the lab that came to see these beautiful snakes suddenly disappeared in a mist.

                        That is why I always always always used clear plastic bins to put the snakes in. Viperids don't usually climb around, but I always wanted to know anyway where the sharp end was.  ;)

                        PS--I had a similar situation once when a large bull snake escaped in my apartment.  After hours of searching every conceivable spot, I finally found him in the bathroom, inside the toilet bowl, curled up around the underside of the rim.  How he got there, I will never know.

                        JACK] The question is, was he there when someone sat down to.....?

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013

                          From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...>

                          > JACK] The question is, was he there when someone sat down to.....?

                          If THAT had happened, I think the heart attack would probably have been fatal.  ;)

                          I just happened to see the tippity-tip of his tail poking out.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013

                            Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 3:32 PM

                            From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...>

                            > JACK] The question is, was he there when someone sat down to.....?

                            If THAT had happened, I think the heart attack would probably have been fatal.  ;)

                            I just happened to see the tippity-tip of his tail poking out.

                            JACK] LOL. I did have a black mamba crawl out from under the seat of my land rover and crawled up between my legs, poised in that “mamba pose” you’ve seen, mouth open, fangs glistening inches from my....uh....well, let’s just say it was the only time in my life I was “concerned” about a venomous snake. hehe