Re: OK, this is massively cool . . . . .

  • Brian van der Spuy
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
      [[[ OK, this is massively cool . . . . .
          Posted by: "Lenny Flank" lflank@... lflank
          Date: Wed Feb 6, 2013 12:46 pm ((PST))
      "A Hello Kitty doll went where no others like it had ever gone before, save for maybe Buzz Lightyear, when a 13-year-old girl put the famous kitty in a rocket and launched it into near space with a weather balloon. Lauren Rojas of Antioch, California, captured incredible video of the entire episode, including footage of the balloon exploding at 93,625 feet, or nearly 18 miles above Earth. "
      Video here:
      http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/50912/girl+launches+rocket+with+hello+kitty+to+nearly+18+miles+above+earth/ ]]]

      ---I saw this on the local news media as well today. It was done some years ago by a BBC science show, (they sent up a GI Joe or something) and I have long wanted to do the same thing, but alas, the equipment is a bit beyond my budget.

      A year or two ago I attended a birthday party of the child of an acquaintance, and then, on impulse, we used a few of the party balloons to send up a message in a bottle, requesting anyone who found it to let the kid know. Apparently the message wasn't found. :-)

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013

        From: Brian van der Spuy <brianvds@...>

        > ---I saw this on the local news media as well today. It was done some years ago by a BBC science show, (they sent up a GI Joe or something) and I have long wanted to do the same thing, but alas, the equipment is a bit beyond my budget.

        There area  few vids on YouTube of people doing similar balloon trips, but this was the only one I saw that had multiple camera angles. Very nice. Those Go-Pro cameras are like $400 a pop, and she had four of them.  She was well-financed. ;)

        > A year or two ago I attended a birthday party of the child of an acquaintance, and then, on impulse, we used a few of the party balloons to send up a message in a bottle, requesting anyone who found it to let the kid know. Apparently the message wasn't found. :-)

        It probably got dragged underground by a meerkat or something.  ;)

        "In the end, reality always wins"

        Editor, Red and Black Publishers
        http://www.RedandBlackPublishers.com
      • Brian van der Spuy
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
          [[[ Re: OK, this is massively cool . . . . .
              Posted by: "Lenny Flank" lflank@... lflank
              Date: Thu Feb 7, 2013 9:48 am ((PST))
          >It probably got dragged underground by a meerkat or something.  ;)]]]

          ---I actually did worry that it would end up choking some wildlife. But the kid was so excited about the whole thing I just had to go ahead with the launch. :-)

          I'm thinking of doing something similar with my science class at school: generate some hydrogen with tin foil and acid, use it to inflate balloons and then send them up with a message.

          I'm worried though that I may end up merely blowing the whole class sky high, plus it would probably be illegal to send up unscheduled flights of anything that might collide with and bring down an aircraft...

          --
          Brian
          http://brianvds.blogspot.com/

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013

            From: Brian van der Spuy <brianvds@...>

            > I'm worried though that I may end up merely blowing the whole class sky high, plus it would probably be illegal to send up unscheduled flights of anything that might collide with and bring down an aircraft...

            Remember the Hindenburg?  ;)

            The girl with the Hello Kitty had to get a permit from the Federal Aviation Administration to launch. They probably checked to make sure there were no flights in the area.