my latest epic YouTube movie

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
      My latest cinematic masterpiece is now up at YouTube--"Predators: The Hunt":

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP17UYBUPvE&feature=youtu.be%c2%a0

      An Imperial Scout Trooper, a Klingon, and a Mobile Infantry Trooper awaken and find themselves hunted by Yautja Predators.

      Editor, Red and Black Publishers
      http://www.RedandBlackPublishers.com
    • Brian van der Spuy
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2012
        [[[my latest epic YouTube movie
           Posted by: "Lenny Flank" lflank@... lflank
           Date: Mon Apr 2, 2012 7:13 am ((PDT))
        My latest cinematic masterpiece is now up at YouTube--"Predators: The Hunt":
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP17UYBUPvE&feature=youtu.be
        An Imperial Scout Trooper, a Klingon, and a Mobile Infantry Trooper awaken and find themselves hunted by Yautja Predators. ]]]

        ---Finally got around to watching it. It's really cool - much more complex than the previous one, and I like your fluent Klingon. Did you build all those props and costumes and things yourself? And I assume you play all the roles? You should come film one here in Dark Africa: we have good scenery and you'll find lots of willing actors and extras. :-)

        Really remarkable what toys can nowadays be had cheaply. A friend of mine downloaded some cool templates for his i-pad, with which you can make your own fake movie preview. The thing supplies some visual effects and background music for various themes, and then you can insert your own text and video clips to create a movie preview. Yesterday we had a picnic in the local botanic gardens, and he had his children act in a few clips, filmed on his cell phone, which he turned into a quite cool fake movie preview within minutes. You can see it here - it looks for all the world like the preview to a typical Hollywood adventure film:

        I drew the "secret map" they mention, though you can't really make out my great artistry on the somewhat low quality video. And no, I didn't really direct the thing either, whatever the credits may say. :-)
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2012

          > From: Brian van der Spuy <brianvds@...>
          >
          >---Finally got around to watching it. It's really cool - much more complex than the previous one, and I like your fluent Klingon.

          Qapla' !!  ;)

          One thing that helped a lot was moving to a bigger apartment.  In my old garage apartment, there wasn't enough room for me to get far enough away from the greenscreen, and I always had a lot of spill which makes it hard to get a really good color key. Now I have more space, and it makes my greenscreening look lots better.  I may even fool some people into thinking I filmed this outside instead of in my living room.  ;)

          > Did you build all those props and costumes and things yourself? And I assume you play all the roles?

          Yep, I am a one-man production.  I made all the costumes and props, I play all the roles, I did all the editing and FX, and I even made some of the sound FX (I couldn't find something that I liked).

          Actually one prop I didn't make---the rifle carried by the Mobile Infantry Trooper is an actual stunt prop used in "Starship Troopers". I wanted to include it as sort of an homage to one of my favorite movies.

          It took about a year from the time I finished the script till the time I posted it at YouTube, but a lot of that delay was from me changing characters and/or costumes a couple times. There were originally only two Predators in the script, but I ended up making enough parts for three so I added one in. The Imperial was originally supposed to be a Stormtrooper, but I changed it to a Scout trooper, partly because there aren't many fan films that have Scouts, and partly just as an excuse to go ahead and make the costume.  ;)

          > You should come film one here in Dark Africa: we have good scenery and you'll find lots of willing actors and extras. :-)

          I'm working now on "Predator vs Viking".  I did the background shots for that last summer when Mike and I visited Torfin in Norway.  :)

          "Predator vs Zulu" might be interesting.  ;)

          I'm working out a script for "Aliens vs Stormtroopers".  I have lots of grand ideas for that (including a chest-bursting scene), so we'll see how well I can translate the vision to film with almost no budget.  ;)

          >Really remarkable what toys can nowadays be had cheaply. A friend of mine downloaded some cool templates for his i-pad, with which you can make your own fake movie preview. The thing supplies some visual effects and background music for various themes, and then you can insert your own text and video clips to create a movie preview. Yesterday we had a picnic in the local botanic gardens, and he had his children act in a few clips, filmed on his cell phone, which he turned into a quite cool fake movie preview within minutes.

          Amazing, isn't it.  Anyone with a decent laptop can now do some very good-looking movies. HD camcorders are so cheap now that you and I can film with cameras that only pros could afford a few years ago. Editing software lets rank amateurs do special FX that are almost ILM-level. And with YouTube, any amateur film-maker has a worldwide audience.

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 11, 2012
            [[[Re: my latest epic YouTube movie
               Posted by: "Lenny Flank" lflank@... lflank
               Date: Sat Apr 7, 2012 9:21 am ((PDT))
            Actually one prop I didn't make---the rifle carried by the Mobile Infantry Trooper is an actual stunt prop used in "Starship Troopers". I wanted to include it as sort of an homage to one of my favorite movies.]]]

            ---They'll keep on fighting - and they'll WIN!!  :-)
            Hmm, you should perhaps consider more ideas from Starship Troopers. How about making some giant, plasma-shooting bugs?

            [[[I'm working now on "Predator vs Viking".  I did the background shots for that last summer when Mike and I visited Torfin in Norway.  :)
            "Predator vs Zulu" might be interesting.  ;)]]]

            ---Or Predator versus Boer. In either case, the poor predators don't stand a chance.  ;-)

            [[[Amazing, isn't it.  Anyone with a decent laptop can now do some very good-looking movies. HD camcorders are so cheap now that you and I can film with cameras that only pros could afford a few years ago. Editing software lets rank amateurs do special FX that are almost ILM-level. And with YouTube, any amateur film-maker has a worldwide audience.]]]

            ---I have a feeling this sort of thing is going to end up being more of threat to established companies than copyright infringement. Already one can enjoy hours of top-notch entertainment on YouTube, without having to leave home or pay anyone anything, and I am not even just talking about fan films or anything that may be considered legally dubious. No wonder the corporadoes would just love to have full control over the entire web, and force you to pay to see stuff that volunteers uploaded free of charge.

            I suspect though that they are out of luck. I am also very glad to see how the common people are taking back control over their own entertainment. Too many of us grow up with the idea that entertainment is something that you allow to wash over you while you just sit there passively. I'm glad to note that lots of people are now rebelling against that idea. The best entertainment is what you make yourself, however amateurish it may seem compared to that of the professionals, simply because it involves you as active participant. This goes even for YouTube videos that you watch: unlike with a big screen film, you can comment on the video and the producer will almost certainly actually read what you wrote.
          • Len
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 11, 2012
              > From: Brian van der Spuy <brianvds@...>

              >Hmm, you should perhaps consider more ideas from Starship Troopers. How about making some giant, plasma-shooting bugs?

              Ahh, the one thing I wish I knew how to do well is computer graphics and animation. Like the film-makers of 20 years ago, I am limited now to whatever sort of costume I can fit on a human or make as a puppet. Now with CGI, however, film-makers can put on film literally anything they can imagine. It has changed the entire game. But it is a skill that is out of my reach--many people spend entire years just learning how to do animation or CGI drawing.

              > I am also very glad to see how the common people are taking back control over their own entertainment. Too many of us grow up with the idea that entertainment is something that you allow to wash over you while you just sit there passively. I'm glad to note that lots of people are now rebelling against that idea. The best entertainment is what you make yourself, however amateurish it may seem compared to that of the professionals, simply because it involves you as active participant. This goes even for YouTube videos that you watch: unlike with a big screen film, you can comment on the video and the producer will almost certainly actually read what you wrote.

              It is democratization in action. It is what I have often said about the Web---today anyone can put up a webpage and reach the size audience that only best-selling authors could reach just 30 years ago.

              Unfortunately, the same thing applies to YouTube as to other web pages-----some of it is very very very good, but most of it, alas, is utter crap. So one has to sift through a lot of mud to get to the golden nuggets.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 12, 2012
                [[[Re: my latest epic YouTube movie
                   Posted by: "Len" lflank@... lflank
                   Date: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:39 am ((PDT))
                Ahh, the one thing I wish I knew how to do well is computer graphics and animation. Like the film-makers of 20 years ago, I am limited now to whatever sort of costume I can fit on a human or make as a puppet.  Now with CGI, however, film-makers can put on film literally anything they can imagine. It has changed the entire game. But it is a skill that is out of my reach--many people spend entire years just learning how to do animation or CGI drawing.]]]

                ---I think one can nowadays get hold of posable 3D models, which you can animate in programs like Bryce or Anim8tor ( http://www.anim8or.com/ ), the latter of which can be downloaded for free. Not too sure. And I suppose you could make puppets or models and green screen them into your movie - once again I am not too sure about what the possibilities are, but as far as I know, this is how much of films like the old Star Wars movies and fantasy films like "Neverending Story" were made?

                And of course, if you come shoot here in Dark Africa, you'll have more actors available. I have recently played in such an amateur production by the son of a friend of mine, and I don't think I have as much fun in years. :-)

                [[[It is democratization in action. It is what I have often said about the Web---today anyone can put up a webpage and reach the size audience that only best-selling authors could reach just 30 years ago.
                Unfortunately, the same thing applies to YouTube as to other web pages-----some of it is very very very good, but most of it, alas, is utter crap. So one has to sift through a lot of mud to get to the golden nuggets.]]]

                ---True, although sifting through the mud can in itself be fun, depending on what you are looking for (in my search for free classical music on YouTube, the sifting process can be extremely painful... ;-)
              • Len
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 13, 2012
                  > From: Brian van der Spuy <brianvds@...>>

                  >---I think one can nowadays get hold of posable 3D models, which you can animate in programs like Bryce or Anim8tor ( http://www.anim8or.com/ ), the latter of which can be downloaded for free. Not too sure. And I suppose you could make puppets or models and green screen them into your movie - once again I am not too sure about what the possibilities are, but as far as I know, this is how much of films like the old Star Wars movies and fantasy films like "Neverending Story" were made?

                  Yep. The "drone" scene in "Predators: The Hunt" was done using a model and a greenscreen. I was actually standing there holding the model on camera and moving it around by hand. I was dressed in a green body suit, and when I keyed out the greenscreen the body suit was keyed out too, leaving just the model.

                  I've done some simple CGI animation with Blender (another free program), but for CGI in general the learning curve is very very steep.

                  I'm planning a chest-burster scene for "Aliens vs Stormtroopers". I think I'll be using a puppet (and lots of fake blood) for that shot.

                  >And of course, if you come shoot here in Dark Africa, you'll have more actors available. I have recently played in such an amateur production by the son of a friend of mine, and I don't think I have as much fun in years. :-)

                  It's always fun watching kids with a camera--they always have a great time. ;)

                  From the technical point of view, it's very hard for me to shoot actors against scenery and then composite myself into the shot--it is very much easier to just shoot empty background scenery and then shoot all the actors against a greenscreen and composite them in. That's what I did in Norway--I shot lots of empty background scenes there and will then shoot and composite the Viking and predator characters here, so it will LOOK like I shot the whole thing on location in Norway, but I really shot all the action in my living room. While walking around with Torfin, I framed out the entire movie in my head and was able to get all the background shots I wanted to use.

                  To shoot on-scene actors I'd really have to bring all the costumes and props and such with me and shoot everything live on location. I don't know what my chances are of getting Predator wrist blades through customs, though. I may have to put them in Mike Torsberg's luggage. ;) (Actually Mike, being very tall, would make a great Predator character, but alas all my costumes are made to fit me, so he'd never be able to get into them.)

                  Editor, Red and Black Publishers
                  http://www.RedandBlackPublishers.com
                • John Distazo
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 13, 2012
                    On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Len <lflank@...> wrote:

                    > From: Brian van der Spuy <brianvds@...>>

                    >---I think one can nowadays get hold of posable 3D models, which you can animate in programs like Bryce or Anim8tor ( http://www.anim8or.com/ ), the latter of which can be downloaded for free. Not too sure. And I suppose you could make puppets or models and green screen them into your movie - once again I am not too sure about what the possibilities are, but as far as I know, this is how much of films like the old Star Wars movies and fantasy films like "Neverending Story" were made?

                    Yep.  The "drone" scene in "Predators: The Hunt" was done using a model and a greenscreen. I was actually standing there holding the model on camera and moving it around by hand. I was dressed in a green body suit, and when I keyed out the greenscreen the body suit was keyed out too, leaving just the model.

                    I've done some simple CGI animation with Blender (another free program), but for CGI in general the learning curve is very very steep.

                    I'm planning a chest-burster scene for "Aliens vs Stormtroopers".  I think I'll be using a puppet (and lots of fake blood) for that shot.

                    I watched AVP (Alien vs. Predator) a few days ago. I feel sorry for the Stormtroopers, almost. The Predators had their hands full with the Aliens. At least they took precautions in case the Aliens won. The Stormtroopers will probably get their asses handed to them.

                    Same thing for the Vikings, times ten, unless Thor steps in and helps them out.  You know, Lenny, you could make a passable Thor if you let your beard grow out some (or make one).  And that Mjolnir prop would not be hard to make.

                    --
                    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation!

                  • Len
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 13, 2012
                      > From: John Distazo <John.Distazo@...>

                      >I watched AVP (Alien vs. Predator) a few days ago. I feel sorry for the Stormtroopers, almost. The Predators had their hands full with the Aliens. At least they took precautions in case the Aliens won. The Stormtroopers will probably get their asses handed to them.

                      Especially since we all know that Stormtroopers can't hit the broad side of a star destroyer. ;)

                      >Same thing for the Vikings, times ten, unless Thor steps in and helps them out. You know, Lenny, you could make a passable Thor if you let your beard grow out some (or make one). And that Mjolnir prop would not be hard to make.

                      I was planning on letting myself get fuzzy to play the Viking. ;) As planned now, "Predator vs Viking" will be a bit different. There won't be any dialogue, and only two characters, the Pred and the Viking (well, and a lot of dead hanging skinned bodies). I've got chainmail and a helmet and shield, so the Viking costume should look pretty good on film (though at 25 pounds or so it might kill me while filming inside it in Florida during the summer--I'll have to crank the air conditioning up really really high). The two tasks I have to finish before I can start shooting are upgrading the Pred costume and choreographing a spear fight that I can have with myself playing both characters.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 13, 2012
                        On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Len <lflank@...> wrote:

                        > From: John Distazo <John.Distazo@...>

                        >I watched AVP (Alien vs. Predator) a few days ago. I feel sorry for the Stormtroopers, almost. The Predators had their hands full with the Aliens. At least they took precautions in case the Aliens won. The Stormtroopers will probably get their asses handed to them.

                        Especially since we all know that Stormtroopers can't hit the broad side of a star destroyer.  ;)

                        >Same thing for the Vikings, times ten, unless Thor steps in and helps them out.  You know, Lenny, you could make a passable Thor if you let your beard grow out some (or make one).  And that Mjolnir prop would not be hard to make.

                        I was planning on letting myself get fuzzy to play the Viking. ;)  As planned now, "Predator vs Viking" will be a bit different.  There won't be any dialogue, and only two characters, the Pred and the Viking (well, and a lot of dead hanging skinned bodies). I've got chainmail and a helmet and shield, so the Viking costume should look pretty good on film (though at 25 pounds or so it might kill me while filming inside it in Florida during the summer--I'll have to crank the air conditioning up really really high). The two tasks I have to finish before I can start shooting are upgrading the Pred costume and choreographing a spear fight that I can have with myself playing both characters.

                        Should be fun to watch. I also expect it will come in well under the de facto 10-minute limit YouTube puts on many of the videos people upload.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 13, 2012
                          > From: John Distazo <John.Distazo@...>

                          >Should be fun to watch. I also expect it will come in well under the de facto 10-minute limit YouTube puts on many of the videos people upload.

                          YouTube has recently relaxed that to 15 minutes----that's how I was able to bring in "Predators: The Hunt" at almost 14 minutes.

                          But yeah, the Viking fight will, um, be over pretty quickly. ;)

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 14, 2012
                               Date: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:23 am ((PDT))
                            To shoot on-scene actors I'd really have to bring all the costumes and props and such with me and shoot everything live on location. I don't know what my chances are of getting Predator wrist blades through customs, though. I may have to put them in Mike Torsberg's luggage. ;)   (Actually Mike, being very tall, would make a great Predator character, but alas all my costumes are made to fit me, so he'd never be able to get into them.)]]]

                            ---Well, if you ever visit Dark Africa, we should go shoot a movie anyway. It will of necessity then have to be something outside your usual alien/predator/storm trooper line, and will have to use minimal props. I can provide actors and locations. How about a ghost/paranormal sort of story a la "Sixth Sense" or "X-Files" or "Blair Witch Project," that depends for its effect not on what you show but precisely on the fact that you DON'T show any of the monsters and things? Then everyone can be in plain clothes. We'll just have to act very scared. ("I see Republinazis. They don't know they're Nazis. Walking around like normal people...")

                            I have also long thought of doing some sort of UFO or crop circle hoax and putting it on YouTube as the real deal, just to see who will fall for it. Or perhaps hoax local South African legends, like the tokoloshe ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokoloshe ), Waterbobbejaan (our local version of Bigfoot), Salamolethlaka (legendary Vaal river monster), or perhaps the famous ghost girl of Uniondale (http://gostsstory.blogspot.com/2009/05/uniondale-is-known-for-its-ghost-lady.html)

                            One could perhaps make a sort of mock documentary, but release it as being for real. You get actors to pretend to have been witnesses, eventually going to the scene of where they supposedly saw what they saw, and there film some or other thing, with shaky camera, so it is impossible to make out what exactly it is, but of course with witnesses gasping and screaming in the background... :-)

                            [[[RC helicopter experience?
                               Posted by: "Lenny Flank" lflank@... lflank
                               Date: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:41 pm ((PDT))
                            Does there happen to be anyone on the list who has experience with radio-controlled helicopters?  The local Occupy here has an idea for the Republican convention that we want to get some advice on . . . ]]]

                            ---Don't know anything about them, but I have long wondered how much Semtex you could lift with one, and how close you could then fly it to Airforce One... :-)

                            --
                            Brian
                            http://brianvds.blogspot.com/

                          • Len
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 14, 2012
                              > From: Brian van der Spuy <brianvds@...>
                              >
                              >---Well, if you ever visit Dark Africa, we should go shoot a movie anyway. It will of necessity then have to be something outside your usual alien/predator/storm trooper line, and will have to use minimal props. I can provide actors and locations. How about a ghost/paranormal sort of story a la "Sixth Sense" or "X-Files" or "Blair Witch Project," that depends for its effect not on what you show but precisely on the fact that you DON'T show any of the monsters and things? Then everyone can be in plain clothes. We'll just have to act very scared. ("I see Republinazis. They don't know they're Nazis. Walking around like normal people...")

                              Wanna write a script? :)

                              >---Don't know anything about them, but I have long wondered how much Semtex you could lift with one, and how close you could then fly it to Airforce One... :-)

                              We're not quite so . . . destructive . . .in our intent ;) , but we would like to be able to drop a load of leaflets in a particular spot where the cops would not like us to go. And if we can get an airborne loudspeaker, that would be even better.

                              Editor, Red and Black Publishers
                              http://www.RedandBlackPublishers.com
                            • Mike Torsberg
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 27, 2012
                                I wonder if anyone will be surprised that this study came up with the conclusion it did....

                                Mike Torsberg
                              • Mikey Brass
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 28, 2012

                                  There are also social factors to take into account. For example, the Jesuits are extremely intelligent and also religious.

                                  Regards,

                                  Mike

                                  http://www.antiquityofman.com

                                  I wonder if anyone will be surprised that this study came up with the conclusion it did....

                                  Mike Torsberg

                                • Richard Ruppel
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 28, 2012
                                    Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 12:30 PM

                                    I wonder if anyone will be surprised that this study came up with the conclusion it did....

                                    Mike Torsberg

                                    RUPPEL:  I’m not surprised.  That’s why Santorum doesn’t want kids to go to collage.  The further people go in learning, the less they believe.  90% of the members of the Academy of Sciences do not believe in a personal God.  Neil degrasse Tyson says the real question is not why 90% don’t believe, but why 10% still do.