Re: "Critics Shrugged"

  • Brian van der Spuy
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2011
      [[[Re: "Critics Shrugged"
         Posted by: "isaac" isaac3rd@... isaac3rd2000
         Date: Tue May 3, 2011 7:51 pm ((PDT))
      isaac: I kind of hope they do make it to releasing all three parts of the movie, mostly just to see how they handle the infamous John Galt speech. I've read that spoken out loud word for word, that speech lasts around three hours. And it is boring as hell. I have trouble seeing it as a "date" movie.]]]

      ---On the contrary, once you and your date are bored, you'll rapidly think of something else to do instead of actually watching the film. It would work especially well in a drive-in theater.  ;-)

      [[[isaac: For me, it's not so much the wordiness as it is using a whole lot of words to not really be saying much.
      Ayn Rand's work was so unreadable for me, I have serious doubts that everyone who claims to have read her have actually read much of her--especially since so many of them showing up at rallies don't seem to be able to spell the simplest of words or construct coherent sentences when speaking. Obviously, not every Randian fits that mold, but enough do to make me wonder.]]]

      ---Ah, so it's perhaps a bit like all those people who managed up to page 17 of "Brief history of time" and are now suddenly experts on quantum mechanics...
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2011
        >From: Brian van der Spuy <brianvds@...>

        >---Ah, so it's perhaps a bit like all those people who managed up to page 17 of "Brief history of time" and are now suddenly experts on quantum mechanics...

        Or all those who never got further than page ten of volume 1 of "Das Kapital".

        (BTW, if ever there was a pedantic, ponderous and plodding writer, Karl Marx was it. Ugh. No wonder most of the world never understood what he was actually saying.)

        Editor, Red and Black Publishers
        http://www.RedandBlackPublishers.com
      • david_windhorst
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2011
          --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, "isaac" <isaac3rd@...> wrote:

          > Here's Second City's trailer for the second installment.
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seKhVJDOzlQ&feature=player_embedded

          Thanks, that's hilarious.

          dw
        • Torfinn Ørmen
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2011
            > Or all those who never got further than page ten of volume 1 of "Das
            > Kapital".
            >
            > (BTW, if ever there was a pedantic, ponderous and plodding writer, Karl
            > Marx was it. Ugh. No wonder most of the world never understood what he
            > was actually saying.)

            Meaning he was true to form as a German academic... ;-)

            The language was made to be in spirit and form as close to Latin (at its
            most obtuse and convoluted) as possible. Everything was done with appended
            sentences and Grammatik und Logik. An extremely refined scientific
            language. -Only problem is that even Germans have to study for years to
            understand it. I know a German living in Norway who preferred to read
            German philosophy when it was translated to Norwegian. -That way it was
            easier to understand, even for him.

            Torfinn
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2011

              > From: Torfinn Ørmen <torf-o@...>

              > Meaning he was true to form as a German academic... ;-)

              Yeah, an inspiring uplifting orator, he definitely was not.

              Editor, Red and Black Publishers
              http://www.RedandBlackPublishers.com
            • Dave Oldridge
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2011
                On 04/05/2011 5:28 AM, Lenny Flank wrote:

                >> From: Brian van der Spuy<brianvds@...>
                >>

                >> ---Ah, so it's perhaps a bit like all those people who managed up to page 17 of "Brief history of time" and are now suddenly experts on quantum mechanics...
                >>

                > Or all those who never got further than page ten of volume 1 of "Das Kapital".
                >
                > (BTW, if ever there was a pedantic, ponderous and plodding writer, Karl Marx was it. Ugh. No wonder most of the world never understood what he was actually saying.)

                Nah, Marx was vibrant and energetic compared to Talcott Parsons.

                --
                Dave Oldridge
                Skype: daveoldridge