Re: [DebunkCreation] Re: Garage sale?

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2010
      I think most of the appeal for rich people paying absurd prices for useless things like expensive cars, mansions or art, is the "snob factor"--its simply to brag to the world "ha ha, I can afford to waste my money on this, and you can't."

      That's the only reason I can think for buying a sports car that does 180mph--buit in which you get arrested if you go over 70.

      Silly waste of resources.

      Lenny Flank

      On Tue Nov 30th, 2010 9:40 AM EST Brian van der Spuy wrote:

      >[[[Garage sale?
      > Posted by: "Joe Cooper" joe0727@... pepper072747
      > Date: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:31 pm ((PST))
      >Pierre Le Guennec and his wife for years squirreled away the staggering
      >cache — which is believed to be authentic, but whose origin is unclear —
      >in their garage on the French Riviera, said Picasso Administration
      >lawyer Jean-Jacques Neuer.
      >http://www.npr.org/2010/11/29/131664254/staggering-cache-of-picassos-turns-up-in-france&sc=nl&cc=nh-20101129%5d]]
      >
      >---My correspondents in the art world tell me much of Picasso's work is not
      >all that difficult to fake, partly because he obviously used 20th century
      >art materials that are not difficult to get hold of, and partly because his
      >later style does not require very great technical facility to pull off, so
      >if authenticity is really such a fundamentally important thing (why a
      >painting should be worth millions simply because it was touched by the hand
      >of someone famous eludes me, as much as I love visual art), then I would
      >still advise the buyer to beware. Strikes me as kind of sickening that ricks
      >pricks will spend millions on a painting, considering what else those
      >millions could have bought both them and humanity as a whole.
      >

      >--
      >Brian
      >http://brianvds.livejournal.com/
    • Brian van der Spuy
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010
        [[[Re: Garage sale?
        Posted by: "Lenny Flank" lflank@... lflank
        Date: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:23 am ((PST))
        I think most of the appeal for rich people paying absurd prices for
        useless things like expensive cars, mansions or art, is the "snob
        factor"--its simply to brag to the world "ha ha, I can afford to waste
        my money on this, and you can't."
        That's the only reason I can think for buying a sports car that does
        180mph--buit in which you get arrested if you go over 70.
        Silly waste of resources.]]]

        ---Yes, that is the impression I also get: such things are, to some
        extent, a sort of peacock's tail. Not that I would reject the notion
        of spoiling oneself with any luxuries at all, including some fairly
        expensive ones. You after all spend considerable amounts of money on
        making SF fan flics, and you are hardly a rich prick trying to show
        off. Similarly, I don't think there is anything wrong with paying,
        say, several thousand dollars for an original painting, or a similar
        amount on a telescope or a musical instrument.

        Such luxuries are inevitably not cheap. If artists are to make a
        living at all, they HAVE to get a month's worth of salary for a
        painting that took a month to complete (as is the case with highly
        realistically rendered works.) Presumably, other such things that cost
        several thousand dollars also cost that much because that simply is
        what they cost; I don't think an amateur astronomer will any time soon
        get a decent telescope for less, or an aspiring pianist a piano (or
        whatever).

        But as you say, it gets a bit sick when it becomes clear that the only
        point of the exercise is not to enrich one's intellectual or spiritual
        life, but literally simply to show off. Thus the world's best amateur
        telescopes tend to be in the homes of people who have never used them
        more than once or twice, until they got bored with the new toy, the
        most expensive paintings are housed in vaults where no one ever sees
        them, and the fastest cars may not be driven at that speed anyway. In
        short, as you pointed out, a silly waste of resources.

        --
        Brian
        http://brianvds.livejournal.com/
      • Roger
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
          --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, Lenny Flank <lflank@...> wrote:

          > I think most of the appeal for rich people paying absurd prices for useless things like expensive cars, mansions or art, is the "snob factor"--its simply to brag to the world "ha ha, I can afford to waste my money on this, and you can't."
          >
          > That's the only reason I can think for buying a sports car that does 180mph--buit in which you get arrested if you go over 70.
          >
          > Silly waste of resources.
          >
          > Lenny Flank

          Yer, dead right there Lenny.

          They should buy the latest in American technology of the 21st century instead. A full size replica Noah's Ark. That'll really impress the neighbours. Sail 'em down to Cannes and be the talk of the town!