Re: Creationists in Cambridge

  • Roger
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
      --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, "Mikey Brass" <mikearchaeology@...> wrote:

      > A bunch of creationists parked themselves on the walkway to one of the
      > shopping centres here next to a bunch of teenagers. You can see the
      > potential for danger...
      >
      > One of them, an American, began pretending he was a monkey while telling a
      > story, "I get up in my morning. I have my cereal. I go to work. I break my
      > arm. I come home..."
      >
      > Me interrupting, "...and die?"
      > Isabelle, "Come near me and I'll fucking break your arm."

      Mikey, do you know precisely which bunch of nutters they were? There's a fairly active creationist scene in cambridge based on the Round Church.
    • Mikey Brass
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
        Hi Roger,

        The Round Church's small crowd is not influential here. The odd nutters who
        have the audacity and mental incapacity to preach occasionally on the
        streets of Cambridge more likely come from the Baptist church near the
        Grafton Centre; this church attracts the more fundamentalist American types.

        Regards,
        Mike

        http://www.antiquityofman.com

      • Anne Gilbert
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
          Roger:

          What the heck is the Round Church?
          Anne G

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010

            Just that, a round church.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
              --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Gilbert" <avgilbert@...> wrote:

              > Roger:
              >
              > What the heck is the Round Church?
              > Anne G

              Nothing special, Anne. It's small rund church in the centre of Cambridge. Got taken over by fundies some time back. It's mediaeval (dates from the time of the Crusades) but that's nothing special. England is chock a block with mediaeval churches. The reason is simple; before the Normans turned up, English people didn't live in villages. They lived in scattered homesteads which couldn't afford churches. Even the now very large city of Manchester was no more that "two huts and a mill" at the time of the Doomsday book. The Normans created the villages which, in turn, justifled building churches.
            • Roger
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
                --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, "Mikey Brass" <mikearchaeology@...> wrote:

                > Hi Roger,
                >
                > The Round Church's small crowd is not influential here. The odd nutters who
                > have the audacity and mental incapacity to preach occasionally on the
                > streets of Cambridge more likely come from the Baptist church near the
                > Grafton Centre; this church attracts the more fundamentalist American types.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Mike

                Hi Mikey,

                Presumably the Americans involved are students at Cambridge University?

                There's a USAF base in EastAnglia that appears to be riddled with fundies. Do they have anything to do with what's going on in Cambridge?

                > http://www.antiquityofman.com

              • Michael Brass
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Hi Roger,

                  > Presumably the Americans involved are students at Cambridge University?

                  The crazy nut who I abused three and a half years ago was young enough
                  to have been a student at the University. The one from last weekend
                  was in his early 40s which made the monkey impression even more
                  ludicrous to the teenagers. There are mature students at the uni so I
                  cannot rule it out but my guess, and it is just a guess, is that the
                  Baptist church has links with the more lunatic Baptist churches in the
                  US.

                  > There's a USAF base in EastAnglia that appears to be riddled with fundies. Do they have anything to do with what's going on in Cambridge?

                  I doubt it, in public. The College Masters and Fellows would have too
                  much fun putting them "in their place" if so. I cannot say if it is
                  true behind the scenes.