Re: Stupid non-planning for a non-future.

  • Roger
    Message 1 of 83 , Jul 1, 2010
      --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Gilbert" <avgilbert@...> wrote:

      > Roger:
      >
      > My brother got very interested in Lallans for some reason, some years ago. He has odd interests like that. And he was on some listserve that dealt in things like Lallans for a while.. Cockney? Well I dunno. A lot of British English doesn't come off too well(I can hardly understand it, IOW), on some of these British TV shows and programs. But then, I didn't exactly understand the Texans, either, during about my first three weeks there/. lol!

      Heck, Anne. I live here and find the regional accents difficult at times (and not just Lallans). The reional accents are a big problem in some quarters in the UK. Operators of call centres are limited to where they can locate their operations. It's not just a matter of being able to understand the call centre staff. If they speak, say, with a Cockney or a Liverpudlian accent (Scouse) mpst people would regard them as little more that crooks. Daamn bad news when sales are involved. Anyone with a Birmingham accent (Brummie) is generallly considered to be seriously dense.

      It's all a lot more complex than that, though. Not only do accents vary over short distances but also by class. Cockney is an utterly working class accent - it's the accent of the East End of London, not London at large. A lot of the people in the town I live in have a strong Hampshire twang but don't notice it. It's unconcious.

      If anything, the English English accent is BBC English. It's origins are in the East Midlands but it's, today, the accent of the Middle classes, particuarly in SOuthern England. The BBC puts a huge amount of effort into the issues of pronouncement and accent. Nobody at all speaks like the Queen, btw - not even her immediate family.

      Finally, the English, notoriously, change their accents according to who they are talking to.
    • Michael Brass
      Message 83 of 83 , Jul 5, 2010
        The University of Texas operates one of the best Berlize expeditions.

        --
        Sent from my mobile device