Re: It was a joy to read this article from the UK Telegraph this morning

  • Roger
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2010
      --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Gilbert" <avgilbert@...> wrote:

      > Mike:
      >
      > I kind of gathered that from reading the article. I also wondered who, in Britain, actually reads this stuff?
      > Anne G

      Old farts, Anne.
    • Roger
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2010
        --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, Joe Cooper <joe0727@...> wrote:

        > Exactly how influential is the UK Telegraph?

        It's the house organ of the dim (and ageing) end of the Tory Party.
      • Anne Gilbert
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2010
          Roger:

          Are these characters, by any chance, colluding in some way with the "Tea Partiers" over here? You have to wonder, at least I did, after reading that piece.
          Anne G

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 2, 2010
            Sort of Anne. The Torygraph's previous owner was Conrad Black who tried to push the newspaper to support American wingnuttery - not so difficult as there was always an element of nuttery about the Torygraph. Black has long lost control of the paper - he milked (financially) it of everything possible. However, I suspect that some of his placemen still hold significant positions in the paper which is now owned by an oddball pair of brothers, The Barclays. They seem to be under the illusion that they are feudal aristocrats.

            Basically the Torygraph has always lived 30-40 years in the past. tradionallly it was (and, not doubt, still is) the newspaper of middle class men who didn't have a university education (their wives read the Daily Mail). It still shows.
          • Anne Gilbert
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 2, 2010
              Roger:

              Sort of Anne. The Torygraph's previous owner was Conrad Black who tried to push the newspaper to support American wingnuttery - not so difficult as there was always an element of nuttery about the Torygraph. Black has long lost control of the paper - he milked (financially) it of everything possible. However, I suspect that some of his placemen still hold significant positions in the paper which is now owned by an oddball pair of brothers, The Barclays. They seem to be under the illusion that they are feudal aristocrats.

              Basically the Torygraph has always lived 30-40 years in the past. tradionallly it was (and, not doubt, still is) the newspaper of middle class men who didn't have a university education (their wives read the Daily Mail). It still shows.

              Basically it sounds as though the Telegraph is a lot like Faux News(sigh), even if the demographics in each case may be a bit different.
              Anne G
            • Roger
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010

                > Basically it sounds as though the Telegraph is a lot like Faux News(sigh), even if the demographics in each case may be a bit different.
                > Anne G

                it certainly includes some Fox News-type wingnuttery but its not as extreme. The media faces a different culture in the UK than the USA in that broadcasting regulation requires TV and radio to carry fair and balanced news. Moreover, the BBC is by far the dominant broadcaster in Britain. So the public are used to "balanced" reporting. The extremes of Fox News would look to be what they are and would turn many off. The issue pervades into much of the print media.

                By and large, American TV programming is not popular in the UK (we produce our own home grown rubbish) despite a common lamguage. Accent is a real problem (it's impossible to get a job as a news reader or reporter in UK broadcasting if you have an American accent).

                In general the UK is well to the political left of the USA - even the Torygraph is left wing by US standards. It's not gonna change either. The Tory party itself has just swung very leftwards thanks to a coalition with the Liberal Democrats. Finally, the UK is nowhere near as religious as the USA and where it is, the dominant sect is the Anglican Church. Fundies are basically seen as downmarket, working class and relatively poorly educated. The Torygraph, bizarrly, thinks its readers are upmarket and well educated.
              • Michael Brass
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010
                  > By and large, American TV programming is not popular in the UK

                  A look through all the popular channels on Freeview and Virgin Media
                  says otherwise:} News-wise though, the UK prefers the homegrown
                  networks.

                  >The Torygraph, bizarrly, thinks its readers are upmarket and well educated.

                  And the moon is made of cheese:-) The Torygraph is good to laugh at.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010
                    We're not the ones with the accent--you are. ;)

                    Of course, every time I read one of your posts, I automatically give you an American accent. And I suppose you must automatically give me a British accent.

                    Lenny Flank

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010
                      Nah we are far too worldly;-) I give you a Yankie accent.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010
                        Roger:

                        I suppose by Faux News standards, the Telegraph would be considered flamingly radical. . . . .
                        Anne G

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010
                          Mike:

                          It's probably good enough to be used as toilet paper. . . .
                          Anne G

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 3, 2010
                            Lenny:

                            We're not the ones with the accent--you are. ;)

                            Of course, every time I read one of your posts, I automatically give you an American accent. And I suppose you must automatically give me a British accent.

                            It's more likely that Mikey has a South Afrtican accent?

                            Anne G

                          • Roger
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
                              --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, Michael Brass <mikearchaeology@...> wrote:

                              > > By and large, American TV programming is not popular in the UK
                              >
                              > A look through all the popular channels on Freeview and Virgin Media
                              > says otherwise:} News-wise though, the UK prefers the homegrown
                              > networks.

                              The amount of American programming on the main national broadcast channels is well below what it was 30-40 years ago. A lot of the freeview channels are basically junk channels. Even the more popular Freeview channels such as yesterday and Dave and almost exclusively populated with UK produced programming. CNN is on Freeeview channel 83 or 84 IIRC and that uses English newcasters, not American ones, for the UK terrestrial service.
                            • Michael Brass
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
                                > The amount of American programming on the main national broadcast channels is well below what it was 30-40 years ago.

                                I find it overwhelming.

                                > CNN is on Freeeview channel 83 or 84 IIRC and that uses English newcasters, not American ones, for the UK terrestrial service.

                                Hmm. I seem to recall getting Yankie news readers when accessing it
                                through Virgin Media.