Re: [DebunkCreation] Bye bye Helms...

  • Anne Gilbert
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
      Mikey and Isaac:

      I don't like to speak ill of the recently deceased, but in the case of Jesse Helms. . . .
      Anne G
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
        Torfinn:

        I never heard that one. . . (about poor southern whites, that is).  What I have heard is that the better off white Southerners made a big deal about how superior whites were to every other "race", so that the poor whites in the southern areas could feel "superior" about something, and therefore keep the better off whites(who ran things anyway), in their powerful place.
        Anne G
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
          I actually heard that about Irish labourers on the New Orleans docks.
          Much too dangerous for valuable property.

          Anne Gilbert wrote:

          > Torfinn:
          >
          > I never heard that one. . . (about poor southern whites, that is).
          > What I */have /*heard is that the better off white Southerners made a
          > big deal about how superior whites were to every other "race", so that
          > the poor whites in the southern areas could feel "superior" about
          > */something,/* and therefore keep the better off whites(who ran things
          > anyway), in their powerful place.
          > Anne G

        • Mikey Brass
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
            Torfinn Ørmen wrote:
            >> ...and good riddance to racist white trash.
            >
            > Agreed, and that he was trash, but was he really "White trash"?

            Remember though that I am using terminology from within my own cultural
            context that differs from those of the old southern US.
          • Anne Gilbert
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
              Joe:

              This could well be.  In any case, it would hav served the purpose of keeping the well-off whites on the top of the heap, so to speak.
              Anne G

              .