Re: [DebunkCreation] Bye bye Helms...

  • Torfinn Ørmen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4 6:15 PM
      >...and good riddance to racist white trash.

      Agreed, and that he was trash, but was he really "White trash"?

      "White trash" has a rather specific meaning in the south of the US, as far
      as understand it. The poor white people in the South got the worst and most
      dangerous jobs back in the 1800s, -the slaves were property and much too
      valuable to be put at risk. Better use the white workers payed by the day.
      ["Breaks an arm, cannot work the next day, not my problem."] These
      resourceless Caucasians had lower satus than the African slaves. Small
      wonder they are still racists.

      Cheers
      Torfinn
    • Anne Gilbert
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4 9:45 PM
        Mikey and Isaac:

        I don't like to speak ill of the recently deceased, but in the case of Jesse Helms. . . .
        Anne G
        ...and good riddance to racist white trash.

        http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 1/hi/world/ americas/ 7490397.stm

      • Anne Gilbert
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4 9:50 PM
          Torfinn:

          I never heard that one. . . (about poor southern whites, that is).  What I have heard is that the better off white Southerners made a big deal about how superior whites were to every other "race", so that the poor whites in the southern areas could feel "superior" about something, and therefore keep the better off whites(who ran things anyway), in their powerful place.
          Anne G
          >...and good riddance to racist white trash.

          Agreed, and that he was trash, but was he really "White trash"?

          "White trash" has a rather specific meaning in the south of the US, as far
          as understand it. The poor white people in the South got the worst and most
          dangerous jobs back in the 1800s, -the slaves were property and much too
          valuable to be put at risk. Better use the white workers payed by the day.
          ["Breaks an arm, cannot work the next day, not my problem."] These
          resourceless Caucasians had lower satus than the African slaves. Small
          wonder they are still racists.

          Cheers
          Torfinn

        • Joe Cooper
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4 10:16 PM
            I actually heard that about Irish labourers on the New Orleans docks.
            Much too dangerous for valuable property.

            Anne Gilbert wrote:

            > Torfinn:
            >
            > I never heard that one. . . (about poor southern whites, that is).
            > What I */have /*heard is that the better off white Southerners made a
            > big deal about how superior whites were to every other "race", so that
            > the poor whites in the southern areas could feel "superior" about
            > */something,/* and therefore keep the better off whites(who ran things
            > anyway), in their powerful place.
            > Anne G

          • Mikey Brass
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5 2:18 AM
              Torfinn Ørmen wrote:
              >> ...and good riddance to racist white trash.
              >
              > Agreed, and that he was trash, but was he really "White trash"?

              Remember though that I am using terminology from within my own cultural
              context that differs from those of the old southern US.
            • Anne Gilbert
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5 10:22 AM
                Joe:

                This could well be.  In any case, it would hav served the purpose of keeping the well-off whites on the top of the heap, so to speak.
                Anne G

                .