Re: Problem with 'Gay'

  • HumanCarol
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2008
      "Anne Gilbert" <avgilbert@...> wrote:

      > I used to go to an eye doctor whose last name was Gay. ... >>

      My father-in-law's 'shop name' was "Mr. Gay." (His real first name was
      Gaylord.) He was a hairdresser in an exclusive department store. Thank
      Hank it was years before the time that 'gay' took on its present meaning.

      ;-)
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2008
        >> I used to go to an eye doctor whose last name was Gay. ... >>
        >
        > My father-in-law's 'shop name' was "Mr. Gay." (His real first name was
        > Gaylord.) He was a hairdresser in an exclusive department store. Thank
        > Hank it was years before the time that 'gay' took on its present meaning.
        >
        > ;-)

        The song from West Side Story use to be:

        I feel prettyyyyy, Oh so prettyyyyy, I feel prettyyyy and wittyyyy and
        gaaaayyyyyyyy

        Now it's

        I feel prettyyyyy, Oh so prettyyyyy, I feel prettyyyy and wittyyyy and
        briiiiight

        Didn't know I had such a good singing voice, Didja?

        Jack
      • Rudy Vonk
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2008
          On 01 jul 2008, at 15:53, Jack Kilmon wrote:

          The song from West Side Story use to be:

          I feel prettyyyyy, Oh so prettyyyyy, I feel prettyyyy and wittyyyy and
          gaaaayyyyyyyy

          Now it's

          I feel prettyyyyy, Oh so prettyyyyy, I feel prettyyyy and wittyyyy and
          briiiiight

          So what was the original version of:

          And I pity
          Any girl who isn't me tonight?

          (Let me guess: any girl who doesn't want to play?)

          ____________________________
          Rudy Vonk
          Oviedo, Spain
          +34 607 354100

          You can't always want what you get
          ____________________________

        • Karl Lembke
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2008
            On 6/30/08, HumanCarol <humancarol@...> wrote:

            > My father-in-law's 'shop name' was "Mr. Gay." (His real first name was
            > Gaylord.) He was a hairdresser in an exclusive department store. Thank
            > Hank it was years before the time that 'gay' took on its present meaning.

            A search-and-replace filter would have changed his name to "Mr. Homosexuallord".
          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 1, 2008

              On 01 jul 2008, at 15:53, Jack Kilmon wrote:

              The song from West Side Story use to be:

              I feel prettyyyyy, Oh so prettyyyyy, I feel prettyyyy and wittyyyy and
              gaaaayyyyyyyy

              Now it's

              I feel prettyyyyy, Oh so prettyyyyy, I feel prettyyyy and wittyyyy and
              briiiiight

              So what was the original version of:

              And I pity
              Any girl who isn't me tonight?

              (Let me guess: any girl who doesn't want to play?)

              I feel pretty,
              Oh, so pretty,
              I feel pretty, and witty and gay,
              And I pity
              Any girl who isn’t me today

              Jack
            • RAY PERREAULT
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 1, 2008

                On 01 jul 2008, at 15:53, Jack Kilmon wrote:

                The song from West Side Story use to be:

                I feel prettyyyyy, Oh so prettyyyyy, I feel prettyyyy and wittyyyy and
                gaaaayyyyyyyy

                Now it's

                I feel prettyyyyy, Oh so prettyyyyy, I feel prettyyyy and wittyyyy and
                briiiiight

                So what was the original version of:

                And I pity
                Any girl who isn't me tonight?

                (Let me guess: any girl who doesn't want to play?)

                I feel pretty,
                Oh, so pretty,
                I feel pretty, and witty and gay,
                And I pity
                Any girl who isn’t me today

                Jack

                \I first read this part of the thread this morning.  The song has been stuck in my head all day.   ARRRGH!

                \Happens to me frequently with Mary had a Little Lamb.  I usually react by making up strange verses.  I have a good collection.

                Ray

              • Rudy Vonk
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
                  On 01 jul 2008, at 23:21, Jack Kilmon wrote:

                  I feel pretty,
                  Oh, so pretty,
                  I feel pretty, and witty and gay,
                  And I pity
                  Any girl who isn’t me today

                  Obvious! Thank you. I saw the film about four times, but I was probably still a child. (I am 60 now.) I don't remember much of the lyrics. I remember poor Natalie Wood, though...

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 4, 2008

                    "Karl Lembke" <karl.lembke@...> wrote:

                    > A search-and-replace filter would have changed his name to "Mr.
                    Homosexuallord".>>

                    I think he would have gotten a large charge out of that!! As will my
                    husband, who bears his father's first name, even though few people
                    know what the initial stands for.