Re: science quiz

  • Brian van der Spuy
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2007

      [[[Re: science quiz
          Posted by: "Bruce Carter" rbrucecarter@...   rbrucecarter
          Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:51 am (PST)
         You got that correct! I've seen a great deal of that - greens that are all vocal about emissions, while they puff on cigarettes. Or greens that race their hybrid cars in and out of traffic - at higher than the posted speed limit. Hypocrites! Is it "save the earth" or "pave the earth"?]]]

      ---I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that most small sedans built in the 1970s were actually quite a bit lighter on fuel than any of today's much talked about hybrids.

      But if you ask me, the automobile cannot be reformed. It can only be utterly destroyed. Ain't I right, Lenny? (I know I can always count on cyclists for support in my jihad against cars...  ;-)

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- Brian van der Spuy <brianvds@...> wrote:

        > But if you ask me, the automobile cannot be
        > reformed. It can only be utterly
        > destroyed. Ain't I right, Lenny? (I know I can
        > always count on cyclists for
        > support in my jihad against cars... ;-)

        Down with the auto death machines !!!!!!!!!

        ;)

        Part of the American utter dependence on cars, of
        course, is that as a nation, we are fat and lazy. How
        many other nations in the world can say that much of
        their population dies because they **eat too much**?

        Editor, Red and Black Publishers
        http://www.RedandBlackPublishers.com
      • Anne Gilbert
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 1, 2007
          Bruce:

          Well, I guess you know people who are more inconsistent(about some things, anyway), than I do. :-)
          Anne G

          Bruce Carter wrote:

          > I think this is a bit of an oversimplification of the "green"
          > movement.

          Obviously, the greenies you know are a better breed than the ones I
          know.

          No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.484 / Virus Database: 269.13.1/981 - Release Date: 8/31/2007 6:13 AM

          --- avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 000770-1, 08/31/2007 Tested on: 8/31/2007 10:42:06 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com

          Virus Database (VPS): 000771-0, 09/01/2007
          Tested on: 9/1/2007 1:05:42 PM

        • Anne Gilbert
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 1, 2007
            Bruce:

            I don't know where you live, but most parts of the country have transit systems more or less like you describe.  There are some exceptions, such as Portland Oregon, which has one of the better transit systems in the country.  But you have to remember, a lot of people with not much money don't have cars, and they have to ride the buses.  Second, the things you describe can  be done, but people have to have the will to do them, and they will have to be at least partially "government funded", at least to begin with.  Mass transit is probably more efficient in the long run, and would reduce a lot of the emissions from individual automobiles(not to mention the load on people's pocketbooks from the rising price of gas).
            Anne G

            Bruce Carter wrote:

            > And it won't until the government makes it a priority, but the green
            > movement doesn't seem interested in how much good mass transit can

            Every time I try to use mass transit, I sit surrounded by gang
            types. Some reeking of marijuana and who knows what else. Evenever
            our brilliant government makes these cockeyed mass transit systems,
            they put the terminus at each end in the worst area of town possible,
            providing a conduit for crime ridden people to come out to the
            suburbs to do their dirty work, then ride back to the ghetto when
            done. If they put a terminus in the middle of the business district,
            with professional people working there, and the other end in the
            suburbs where people that work downtown wouldn't have to drive 20
            minutes just to get to the train stations, people might use it.
            Right now - I don't have a death wish, and wouldn't get on the train
            unless there was a national guardsman riding in the car with a
            bayonett attached to his rifle.

            We could meet the Kyoto requirements for emissions - right now - and
            people still drive their SUVs all they want to - IF we could get
            people to stop leadfooting, making aimless lane changes by hitting
            the gas and roaring around people, if we could get people to drive
            the posted limit - not 10 or 20 miles over. We could do it right
            now, save emissions, and save lives. In fact, we could use short
            range wireless transponders embedded in every road sign to absolutely
            FORCE people to slow down. Whatever the limit is - have a computer
            in every single car that communicates with the transponders, and have
            that computer limit the speed of the car no matter what the driver
            does with the gas pedal. AND - control the accleration to avoid fuel
            waste. All this technology exists right now, could be implemented
            easily, and would save lives by keeping people from doing something
            stupid, unsafe, and wasteful. We could even have police overrides on
            all cars to bring them to a stop and end police chases forever.

            But all that makes too much sense for the greenies I know. They
            would rather "punish" America for being successful and having the
            highest standard of living on the planet.

            No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.484 / Virus Database: 269.13.1/981 - Release Date: 8/31/2007 6:13 AM

            --- avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 000770-1, 08/31/2007 Tested on: 8/31/2007 10:42:20 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com

            Virus Database (VPS): 000771-0, 09/01/2007
            Tested on: 9/1/2007 1:11:19 PM

          • Michael E. Suttkus, II
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 2, 2007
              --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, Anne Gilbert <avgilbert@...> wrote:

              > Bruce:
              >
              > Well, I guess you know people who are more inconsistent(about some
              > things, anyway), than I do. :-)

              It could be the kind of company we keep. Most of the "greens" I know
              aren't academics or well educated. Not that being well educated is
              immunizing to the kind of stupidity we've been discussing, (wasn't
              Peter Singer associated with the idiotic "vegetarian lion" project?).
            • Anne Gilbert
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 3, 2007
                Michael:

                In the first place, Peter Singer is more of an "animal rights activist" than a "green".  In the second place many greens --- at least the ones I'm familiar with, are well-educated, though they are not necessarily "academics".  Movements like this always attract some strange people, though these usually are a minority.  Finally, Peter Singer is not one of my favorite people.  I don't find his arguments for much of anything terribly persuasive.  There are other people I find much more persuasive on many of these issues.
                Anne G

                pany we keep. Most of the "greens" I know
                aren't academics or well educated. Not that being well educated is
                immunizing to the kind of stupidity we've been discussing, (wasn't
                Peter Singer associated with the idiotic "vegetarian lion" project?).

                No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.484 / Virus Database: 269.13.2/985 - Release Date: 9/2/2007 4:32 PM

                --- avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 000771-2, 09/02/2007 Tested on: 9/2/2007 9:00:58 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com

                Virus Database (VPS): 000772-0, 09/03/2007
                Tested on: 9/3/2007 11:09:10 AM

              • Mike Torsberg
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Brian - you are right.  My first car, bought back in 1979, was a Datsun (now Nissan) 210 hatchback 5 speed which got 50+ miles to the gallon on the highway and 43 mpg in the city.  Of course, it was a little car, and would have been absolutely smeared in a head on collision with virtually any vehicle made today....

                  Mike Torsberg

                  ---I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that most small sedans built in the 1970s were actually quite a bit lighter on fuel than any of today's much talked about hybrids.

                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 5, 2007
                    [[[Re: science quiz
                    Posted by: "Mike Torsberg" miket6562@... miket6562
                    Tue Sep 4, 2007 10:28 am (PST)
                    Brian - you are right. My first car, bought back in 1979, was a
                    Datsun (now Nissan) 210 hatchback 5 speed which got 50+ miles to the
                    gallon on the highway and 43 mpg in the city. Of course, it was a
                    little car, and would have been absolutely smeared in a head on
                    collision with virtually any vehicle made today....]]]

                    ---I think this 'arms race' between various sizes of vehicles is
                    perhaps one reason why cars got bigger and bigger. Cars also appear to
                    be phallic symbols; you seldom see cars advertised based on fuel
                    economy or safety features, whereas you do very often see cars
                    portrayed as fast and cool and sexy, and 'leaving the competition far
                    behind.' Curious, actually, considering that whether you ride a
                    bicycle or a Ferrari, you are not allowed to go faster than the speed
                    limit anyway. ;-)

                    Me, I drive a humble little scooter. I get something like 140 mpg,
                    although I am not too sure: living in a civilized country, I use the
                    metric system. ;-)
                  • Michael E. Suttkus, II
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 5, 2007
                      --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brianvds@...> wrote:

                      > ---I think this 'arms race' between various sizes of vehicles is
                      > perhaps one reason why cars got bigger and bigger. Cars also appear
                      > to be phallic symbols; you seldom see cars advertised based on fuel
                      > economy or safety features, whereas you do very often see cars
                      > portrayed as fast and cool and sexy, and 'leaving the competition far
                      > behind.'

                      Many car brands pay lip service to the other things, but it's clear
                      that style rules over facts based on the time spent in the commercial
                      covering them.

                      > Curious, actually, considering that whether you ride a bicycle or
                      > a Ferrari, you are not allowed to go faster than the speed limit
                      > anyway. ;-)

                      Yes, but... it can go FASTER! What if you really, really need to
                      outrace some bad guys... in RVs... or something.

                      Honestly, the cars thing is just one of those things that has baffled
                      me for years about our culture. What is it with cars? They're large,
                      they can take you places, they all work pretty much as well as any
                      other. Sure, there's quality differences, but by and large, they're
                      cars. I expect that all the effort put into style is a desperate
                      attempt by the car manufacturers to make people care about one brand
                      over another.

                      For some reason, the public has bought it. For me, it doesn't matter
                      how fast the camera pans over features and zooms in and out until your
                      dizzy, it still looks like an ordinary car sitting there.

                      Maybe if I ever owned one, I'd feel something for them.

                      > Me, I drive a humble little scooter.

                      We drive an SUV. *GASP!* Because it's the only kind of car they make
                      anymore that we can actually fit the family into.

                      > I get something like 140 mpg, although I am not too sure: living
                      > in a civilized country, I use the metric system. ;-)

                      Stupid civilized country! Won't find none o' them efficient, sane
                      measuring systems here! Nosireebob! If feet and inches were good
                      enough for Jesus Christ, they're good enough for me!