Re: Creation Science 101

  • Roger Stanyard
    Message 1 of 23 , May 3, 2007
      --- In DebunkCreation@yahoogroups.com, Mikey Brass
      <michael.brass@...> wrote:
      > Roger, you would be interested in
      > http://savaged.wordpress.com/2006/06/12/uk-tv-license-required-for-
      > . Reproduced:
      > ----------------------
      > BRISTOL
      > BS98 1TL
      > Tel: 0870 243 0229
      > Fax: 0870 240 1187
      > E-Mail: tvlcsc@...
      > Our Ref: TVL88192
      > 15/06/2006
      > Dear Mr Savage,
      > A television licence is required if you use television receiving
      > equipment to record and/or receive television programme services.
      > Television receiving equipment could be a television, video
      > DVD recorder/player, PCTV (computer with facility to receive
      > programmes), or a television card for a computer. If your computer
      > capable of receiving live broadcasts, whether on-line, or through
      > aerial or satellite dish, then it is classed as television
      > equipment. This means a licence is needed to receive BBC, ITV,
      > 4, Five, digital television, other terrestrial services, satellite
      > television and cable television.
      > If you receive programme services (as defined above), live via the
      > Internet, BBC Online for example), then a television licence is
      > required. If you are using the Internet to browse archived
      > services websites, then a television licence is not required.
      > I hope this information is helpful.
      > Yours sincerely
      > Michael Williams
      > TV Licensing

      TV Licensing is pushing its luck on this because it is defining when
      a licence is due based on the signal not on the receiver.
      Unfortunately streaming media off a serve is not a broadcast service.
      It simple does not require a broadcasting licence to operate such a
      service. From a regulatory viewpoint it is a telecommunications
      service - point-to-point. By definition that can't be a broadcast
      service which is point-to-multipoint. A two-way or four way video
      Skpe link is providing video signals live. That's not subject to
      broadcast licence requirements.

      I think the fast one that TV licensing is trying to pull is to get
      round the issue that regulation is always behind technology. I don't
      think that its position would stand up in a magistrates court let
      alone in front of a jury. All you would have to do to defend yourself
      in front of the magistrate is to ask if the court has broadband
      access and ask him to show its TV licenses.