Re: Move to mailman hosted at Debian !

  • vivekvarghesecherian
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 14, 2010

      > I am proposing that we move to mailman now that its the right time to move.
      >
      > Why not Yahoo ?
      > * Yahoo is neglecting its web businesses . It already closed Yahoo 360
      > and Yahoo Photos and Yahoo Geocities.
      > * Yahoo mailing makes it very cumbersive(hard) not to top post.
      > * Yahoo adds annoying ads with every mail which sometimes also have
      > messages like optimise your IE etc
      > * Yahoo forces people to create a yahoo account to atleast signing up process !
      >
      > Why Debian hosted mailing list :
      > * Mailman is GPL and way to go for a free sofware project .
      > * Hosting it is cheap and has non existent costs ( AFAIK in debian)
      > * Debian has a team to manage the servers
      > * Its proper for an Indian team to associate the infrastructure (
      > domain,ML etc) with the parent project
      >
      > Hope to see a positive move ahead and plan for the future .
      >
      > Regards,
      > Pavithran

      I agree to all the points that Pavitran has raised
      in the above post as reasons for a lists.debian.org
      mailing list and have also updated the bug report at

      I feel that the name of the said list should be
      debian-india@... as the name of this
      community as we all know from 2005 is 'Debian India',
      also a India specific list for Debian need not further
      classify anyone as a user or developer.

      The purpose of the debian-india List should be as follows:

      1) Answer general Debian related queries both technical
      and licensing related queries.

      2) Mentoring new Indian Debian Contributers.

      3) Debian Indic Localisation.(What debian-in-workers is doing now).
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 15, 2010
        2010/8/15 vivekvarghesecherian <vivekvarghesecherian@...>:
        > The purpose of the debian-india List should be as follows:
        >
        > 1) Answer general Debian related queries both technical
        >   and licensing related queries.
        >
        > 2) Mentoring new Indian Debian Contributers.
        >
        > 3) Debian Indic Localisation.(What debian-in-workers is doing now).

        I agree with points 1 and 2. FOr point 3, we should continue
        debian-in-workers. Contributing to debian need not be only via Indic
        support or Indic packages. debian-india will be a gateway to debian
        for people from India, but debian-in-workers should remain as a
        pcakging team for Indic packages.

        പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍