Re: [DebianIndia] Re: Move to mailman hosted at Debian !

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 14, 2010
      2010/8/13 pavithran s <pavi.eu@...>:
      >  2010/8/12 Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...>:
      >> Just go ahead and do it.  File a bug against lists.debian.org
      >
      > Our request in the form of Praveen's bug and following endorsement s
      > lacked one thing which is 'clarity' .

      I like debian-india and Vivek's last comment also reflect this. So
      those who did not support this earlier, please comment if you want to
      go ahead with this or if you still want a user list, please request it
      separately. Lets bring clarity and close this.

      Pavithran, please add other details asked by list masters.

      പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
    • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 14, 2010
        On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Kumar Appaiah <kumar.appaiah@...> wrote:
        > Here is another alternative:
        >
        > Name: debian-india
        >
        > Rationale: A mailing list is needed to support Debian users and
        > contributors who speak Indian languages and/or are concerned with
        > India-related packages and Indic translation in Debian. Currently, we
        > are hosting an active list on a Yahoo! group, but we feel it is now
        > time to move the list to an official Debian supported location.
        >
        > Short description: debian-user and debian-devel for Indian users

        I second this name and proposal.

        Ramakrishnan
      • vivekvarghesecherian
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 14, 2010

          > I am proposing that we move to mailman now that its the right time to move.
          >
          > Why not Yahoo ?
          > * Yahoo is neglecting its web businesses . It already closed Yahoo 360
          > and Yahoo Photos and Yahoo Geocities.
          > * Yahoo mailing makes it very cumbersive(hard) not to top post.
          > * Yahoo adds annoying ads with every mail which sometimes also have
          > messages like optimise your IE etc
          > * Yahoo forces people to create a yahoo account to atleast signing up process !
          >
          > Why Debian hosted mailing list :
          > * Mailman is GPL and way to go for a free sofware project .
          > * Hosting it is cheap and has non existent costs ( AFAIK in debian)
          > * Debian has a team to manage the servers
          > * Its proper for an Indian team to associate the infrastructure (
          > domain,ML etc) with the parent project
          >
          > Hope to see a positive move ahead and plan for the future .
          >
          > Regards,
          > Pavithran

          I agree to all the points that Pavitran has raised
          in the above post as reasons for a lists.debian.org
          mailing list and have also updated the bug report at

          I feel that the name of the said list should be
          debian-india@... as the name of this
          community as we all know from 2005 is 'Debian India',
          also a India specific list for Debian need not further
          classify anyone as a user or developer.

          The purpose of the debian-india List should be as follows:

          1) Answer general Debian related queries both technical
          and licensing related queries.

          2) Mentoring new Indian Debian Contributers.

          3) Debian Indic Localisation.(What debian-in-workers is doing now).
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 15, 2010
            2010/8/15 vivekvarghesecherian <vivekvarghesecherian@...>:
            > The purpose of the debian-india List should be as follows:
            >
            > 1) Answer general Debian related queries both technical
            >   and licensing related queries.
            >
            > 2) Mentoring new Indian Debian Contributers.
            >
            > 3) Debian Indic Localisation.(What debian-in-workers is doing now).

            I agree with points 1 and 2. FOr point 3, we should continue
            debian-in-workers. Contributing to debian need not be only via Indic
            support or Indic packages. debian-india will be a gateway to debian
            for people from India, but debian-in-workers should remain as a
            pcakging team for Indic packages.

            പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍