Re: Move to mailman hosted at Debian !

  • praveeneea_nitc
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 11, 2010
      --- In DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com, pavithran s <pavi.eu@...> wrote:

      > Hi all ,
      > I am new to debian contribution hence many here wont be knowing me . I
      > have done some upstream localisations in telugu which I think are also
      > very less . On the debian side I have permanently moved to debian
      > usage on my eeepc which I keep on helping people at #debian-eeepc .
      > I have come a bit closer to debian thanks to #minidebconfindia
      > organised at COEP,Pune .
      >
      > The current mailing list which in Yahoo has very less traffic and now
      > after minidebconf we are expecting huge numbers .
      >
      > I am proposing that we move to mailman now that its the right time to move.
      >
      > Why not Yahoo ?
      > * Yahoo is neglecting its web businesses . It already closed Yahoo 360
      > and Yahoo Photos and Yahoo Geocities.
      > * Yahoo mailing makes it very cumbersive(hard) not to top post.
      > * Yahoo adds annoying ads with every mail which sometimes also have
      > messages like optimise your IE etc
      > * Yahoo forces people to create a yahoo account to atleast signing up process !
      >
      > Why Debian hosted mailing list :
      > * Mailman is GPL and way to go for a free sofware project .
      > * Hosting it is cheap and has non existent costs ( AFAIK in debian)
      > * Debian has a team to manage the servers
      > * Its proper for an Indian team to associate the infrastructure (
      > domain,ML etc) with the parent project
      >
      > Hope to see a positive move ahead and plan for the future .

      +1

      > Regards,
      > Pavithran
      >
      > ( Joined Yahoo groups just to post this email)

    • Jaldhar H. Vyas
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 11, 2010
        On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, praveeneea_nitc wrote:

        > +1
        >
        > If everyone is ok with it. I will request for a mailing list at
        > lists.debian.org

        Just go ahead and do it. File a bug against lists.debian.org
        pseudopackage and ask for the creation of debian-user-indian (that seems
        to be the naming pattern.) If a DD is needed to endorse the request,
        Kartik or I will reply to the bug.

        --
        Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...>
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 12, 2010
          2010/8/12 Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...>:
          > Just go ahead and do it.  File a bug against lists.debian.org
          > pseudopackage and ask for the creation of debian-user-indian (that seems
          > to be the naming pattern.)  If a DD is needed to endorse the request,
          > Kartik or I will reply to the bug.

          I will request debianindia (if they can give it). I would like it to
          equivalent to debian-mentors for new Indian contributors. I don't know
          if we need an India specific user list.

          പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 12, 2010
            On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Praveen A <pravi.a@...> wrote:
            > 2010/8/12 Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...>:
            >> Just go ahead and do it.  File a bug against lists.debian.org
            >> pseudopackage and ask for the creation of debian-user-indian (that seems
            >> to be the naming pattern.)  If a DD is needed to endorse the request,
            >> Kartik or I will reply to the bug.
            >
            > I will request debianindia (if they can give it). I would like it to
            > equivalent to debian-mentors for new Indian contributors. I don't know
            > if we need an India specific user list.

            India specific mentors list will be too much for Debian resources.
            Jaldhar's idea about debian-user-indian and later debian-devel-india
            will be much better.

            --
            Kartik Mistry
            Debian GNU/Linux Developer
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 12, 2010
              2010/8/12 Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@...>:
              > On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Praveen A <pravi.a@...> wrote:
              >> 2010/8/12 Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...>:
              >>> Just go ahead and do it.  File a bug against lists.debian.org
              >>> pseudopackage and ask for the creation of debian-user-indian (that seems
              >>> to be the naming pattern.)  If a DD is needed to endorse the request,
              >>> Kartik or I will reply to the bug.
              >>
              >> I will request debianindia (if they can give it). I would like it to
              >> equivalent to debian-mentors for new Indian contributors. I don't know
              >> if we need an India specific user list.
              >
              > India specific mentors list will be too much for Debian resources.
              > Jaldhar's idea about debian-user-indian and later debian-devel-india
              > will be much better.

              Well, DebianIndia's aim always was creating more debian developers
              from India. Why do we need a India specific devel list? user list
              makes sense, but I'm not too keen on that, as I would like to spent
              more of my time on mentoring people.

              I have requested it

              പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
            • pavithran s
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 13, 2010
                2010/8/12 Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...>:
                > Just go ahead and do it.  File a bug against lists.debian.org

                Our request in the form of Praveen's bug and following endorsement s
                lacked one thing which is 'clarity' .

                After my interactions with the mailing list people they have informed me to

                * first get a name right do we want debian -user-indian or
                debian-india or debian-mentors-india we should be clear on it and it
                should be mentioned in the bug .
                * Category should be mentioned .
                *subscription policy should be mentioned.

                In other words I was told to read
                http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/HOWTO_start_list again and again
                :( .

                So lets all decide on one name and one description and be done with it .

                My personal opinion is to get a users list and later ask for a
                devel/mentor list specific to India .
              • Kumar Appaiah
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 13, 2010
                  On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 05:31:54PM +0530, pavithran s wrote:
                  > Our request in the form of Praveen's bug and following endorsement s
                  > lacked one thing which is 'clarity' .
                  >
                  > After my interactions with the mailing list people they have informed me
                  >
                  > * first get a name right do we want debian -user-indian or
                  > debian-india or debian-mentors-india we should be clear on it and it

                  I vote for debian-user-india. It doesn't matter; we can discuss
                  packaging issues as well on it, in my opinion.

                  > should be mentioned in the bug .
                  > * Category should be mentioned .

                  Category: Users

                  > *subscription policy should be mentioned.

                  Anybody can post.

                  > In other words I was told to read
                  > [2]http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/HOWTO_start_list again and again
                  > :( .
                  >
                  > So lets all decide on one name and one description and be done with it .
                  >
                  > My personal opinion is to get a users list and later ask for a
                  > devel/mentor list specific to India .

                  Here are the details I would suggest:

                  Name: debian-user-india

                  Rationale: A mailing list is needed to support Debian users who speak
                  Indian languages and/or are concerned with India-related packages and
                  Indic translation in Debian. Currently, we are hosting an active list
                  on a Yahoo! group, but we feel it is now time to move the list to
                  an official Debian supported location.

                  Short description: debian-user for Indian users

                  Long description: This mailing list is dedicated to supporting Debian
                  users from India who use India specific packages and Indic languages
                  in Debian.

                  Category: Users

                  Subscription Policy: Open

                  Post policy: Open

                  Web Archive: Yes, if possible

                  Please comment.

                  Thanks.

                  Kumar

                  --
                  We do not stray out of all words into the ever silent;
                  We do not raise our hands to the void for things beyond hope.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 13, 2010
                    2010/8/13 pavithran s <pavi.eu@...>:
                    > * first get a name right do we want debian -user-indian or
                    > debian-india or debian-mentors-india we should be clear on it and it
                    > should be mentioned in the bug .

                    If we are going for debian-user-indian list, then we need a separate
                    list for debian-mentors-india. We can't discuss devel stuff on a user
                    list and we _HAVE_ to discuss devel stuff.

                    > * Category should be mentioned .

                    Developers or Users accordingly

                    > *subscription policy should be mentioned.

                    open list.

                    > In other words I was told to read
                    > http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/HOWTO_start_list again and again
                    > :( .
                    >
                    > So lets all decide on one name and one description and be done with it .
                    >
                    > My personal opinion is to get a users list and later ask for a
                    > devel/mentor list specific to India .

                    I think DebianIndia's objective was to mentor developers. So we need
                    to have a mentors list. If people are interested in user list, then
                    that has to be in addition to it.

                    Thanks
                    പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                  • Kumar Appaiah
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 13, 2010
                      Here is another alternative:

                      Name: debian-india

                      Rationale: A mailing list is needed to support Debian users and
                      contributors who speak Indian languages and/or are concerned with
                      India-related packages and Indic translation in Debian. Currently, we
                      are hosting an active list on a Yahoo! group, but we feel it is now
                      time to move the list to an official Debian supported location.

                      Short description: debian-user and debian-devel for Indian users

                      Long description: This mailing list is dedicated to supporting Debian
                      users from India who use India specific packages and Indic languages
                      in Debian.

                      Category: Users

                      Subscription Policy: Open

                      Post policy: Open

                      Web Archive: Yes, if possible

                      Again, just a recommendation.

                      Thanks.

                      Kumar
                      --
                      Light finds her treasure of colours
                      through the antagonism of clouds.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 13, 2010
                        Quoting Praveen A (pravi.a@...):
                        > 2010/8/13 pavithran s <pavi.eu@...>:
                        > > * first get a name right do we want debian -user-indian or
                        > > debian-india or debian-mentors-india we should be clear on it and it
                        > > should be mentioned in the bug .
                        >
                        > If we are going for debian-user-indian list, then we need a separate
                        > list for debian-mentors-india. We can't discuss devel stuff on a user
                        > list and we _HAVE_ to discuss devel stuff.

                        I'm not fond of "-indian". This might be a parallel with -user-french
                        or -user-german listss, but in those "french" or "german" more means
                        the language than the country.

                        As "indian" is not a language, I think it'd be better to use "india",
                        or maybe (but less obvious) "south-asia", as I'd guess that users from
                        Sri Lanka, Bengladesh, Nepal and other countries of the Indian
                        Peninsula, would share the same interests.

                        What do you guys think about it?
                      • Mahesh Aravind
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 13, 2010
                          Dear Pavithran,

                          --- In DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com, pavithran s <pavi.eu@...> wrote:

                          > Why not Yahoo ?

                          > Why Debian hosted mailing list :

                          +10

                          I second this.

                          Awaiting to see a Mailinglist off Yahoo

                          Warm regards,
                          Mahesh Aravind
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 14, 2010
                            2010/8/13 pavithran s <pavi.eu@...>:
                            >  2010/8/12 Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...>:
                            >> Just go ahead and do it.  File a bug against lists.debian.org
                            >
                            > Our request in the form of Praveen's bug and following endorsement s
                            > lacked one thing which is 'clarity' .

                            I like debian-india and Vivek's last comment also reflect this. So
                            those who did not support this earlier, please comment if you want to
                            go ahead with this or if you still want a user list, please request it
                            separately. Lets bring clarity and close this.

                            Pavithran, please add other details asked by list masters.

                            പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                          • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 14, 2010
                              On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Kumar Appaiah <kumar.appaiah@...> wrote:
                              > Here is another alternative:
                              >
                              > Name: debian-india
                              >
                              > Rationale: A mailing list is needed to support Debian users and
                              > contributors who speak Indian languages and/or are concerned with
                              > India-related packages and Indic translation in Debian. Currently, we
                              > are hosting an active list on a Yahoo! group, but we feel it is now
                              > time to move the list to an official Debian supported location.
                              >
                              > Short description: debian-user and debian-devel for Indian users

                              I second this name and proposal.

                              Ramakrishnan
                            • vivekvarghesecherian
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 14, 2010

                                > I am proposing that we move to mailman now that its the right time to move.
                                >
                                > Why not Yahoo ?
                                > * Yahoo is neglecting its web businesses . It already closed Yahoo 360
                                > and Yahoo Photos and Yahoo Geocities.
                                > * Yahoo mailing makes it very cumbersive(hard) not to top post.
                                > * Yahoo adds annoying ads with every mail which sometimes also have
                                > messages like optimise your IE etc
                                > * Yahoo forces people to create a yahoo account to atleast signing up process !
                                >
                                > Why Debian hosted mailing list :
                                > * Mailman is GPL and way to go for a free sofware project .
                                > * Hosting it is cheap and has non existent costs ( AFAIK in debian)
                                > * Debian has a team to manage the servers
                                > * Its proper for an Indian team to associate the infrastructure (
                                > domain,ML etc) with the parent project
                                >
                                > Hope to see a positive move ahead and plan for the future .
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Pavithran

                                I agree to all the points that Pavitran has raised
                                in the above post as reasons for a lists.debian.org
                                mailing list and have also updated the bug report at

                                I feel that the name of the said list should be
                                debian-india@... as the name of this
                                community as we all know from 2005 is 'Debian India',
                                also a India specific list for Debian need not further
                                classify anyone as a user or developer.

                                The purpose of the debian-india List should be as follows:

                                1) Answer general Debian related queries both technical
                                and licensing related queries.

                                2) Mentoring new Indian Debian Contributers.

                                3) Debian Indic Localisation.(What debian-in-workers is doing now).
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 15, 2010
                                  2010/8/15 vivekvarghesecherian <vivekvarghesecherian@...>:
                                  > The purpose of the debian-india List should be as follows:
                                  >
                                  > 1) Answer general Debian related queries both technical
                                  >   and licensing related queries.
                                  >
                                  > 2) Mentoring new Indian Debian Contributers.
                                  >
                                  > 3) Debian Indic Localisation.(What debian-in-workers is doing now).

                                  I agree with points 1 and 2. FOr point 3, we should continue
                                  debian-in-workers. Contributing to debian need not be only via Indic
                                  support or Indic packages. debian-india will be a gateway to debian
                                  for people from India, but debian-in-workers should remain as a
                                  pcakging team for Indic packages.

                                  പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍